• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

whats the paintman been up to???????????

Hah! Drop me down to the 2nd page, no way. I'm Breedin! With my new LED units from Reef Breeders! Haven't had time to make the light rack yet although I have all the parts. I just had to unpack the units and set them on top the tank to take a look. My first impressions with them just sitting on top of the tank is that they sure look blue. But I guess they will be alright though as i plan to incorporate 4 t'5 bulbs into the light rack anyway so I have some flexibility with color. Now if I can just get off my but and finish all my other projects so I have time to make the rack.
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/paintman27/IMG_2346_zpsbead5cc8.jpg
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e319/paintman27/IMG_2345_zpse9156cb0.jpg

That is one sweet setup. I have the same lights....smaller. Only have em at 90% for a 3 hour stretch. Any higher and my ORA green birds nest gets pissed. Acros on the other hand would be fine at 100%.

That is one sweet setup. I have the same lights....smaller. Only have em at 90% for a 3 hour stretch. Any higher and my ORA green birds nest gets pissed. Acros on the other hand would be fine at 100%.
Hey thanx man, I think these lights will work fine for what i'm doing. I'm just an LPS softies kind of guy. The plan is once mounted in the rack, I'll have the units about 12"-14" off the water, so with the 120 degree optics, it should broaden out the intensity over the entire tank. I think without some kind of t'5 bulbs the tank will look to blueish/cold if you know what I mean. I'm thinking a couple of fiji pinks. At least that the story i am going with as of now.

Ok, so I had time to mock up the first rack for my lights. I tell ya anyone looking to make a rack should consider the ESTO connector system! Its quick and super easy. The channel cuts like butter and the connectors just need a couple of good whacks with a rubber mallet. I still have to put in some eye bolts for hooks that will be fastened to the wall for when I need to move the rack up for maintenance. Also I think a safety cable is in order mounted to the ceiling just in case I drop the damn thing. And I still need to mount the sockets and ballasts for the 2- T'5 bulbs that will be on each side of the unit. Lastly I plan on enclosing the back and side of the rack with some kind of polished reflector to keep the light spillage out the back to a minium.

the only real snafu that I ran into was that I had to cut out a piece of the channel to gain access to the control panel on the unit.

I think we should rename this thread Stan's Decade Long Tank Build.Dance
I look at it this way Bill......Why rush to set the new tank up when my current tank looks like this...

Plus I'm hoping that by the time I am done, the oceans will have been depleted of all its live sand. That way I won't be tempted to throw some in my new tank and turn it into a septic system.DeadHorse

Plus I'm hoping that by the time I am done, the oceans will have been depleted of all its live sand. That way I won't be tempted to throw some in my new tank and turn it into a septic system.DeadHorse

No more sandy septics for me Stan; now I have a freshwater swamp!

O yeah, the Paintman. He's still around. I heard he stopped working on his truck and got up off his butt and finished the lighting on his tank. He just needs to get the t5 reflectors. I also heard a rumor that he did a major project off the back of his house so he could host another NJRC meeting if they need a place.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can't go claiming all of that without some pictures to prove it! :worthless

Glad to hear your still around Stan.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Or send in your 12 bucks and we can get you back up to a member and then have no problems at all.

Ok lets see if the worlds most computer stupid person can insert an image..... well that didn't work. I was able to get the image into the reply box but when i clicked on the Post Reply button, I got an error message that said.....

Post denied. new posts are limited by the number of URL's it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

016_zpsj4yjurs6.jpg
016_zpsj4yjurs6.jpg
016_zpsj4yjurs6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
017_zps3rkpbukp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys are still around! I have been missing in action. Last time I tried to log on and post pics I had nothing but trouble so I gave up. With 28" on the ground here and still snowing I figured I would drop in and see wuz up! My tank has been up and running for nearly 2 years. I battled cyano and other gremlins for most of that time. Finaly my tank has cleared up and looks good. Hopefully i can get a pic posted. lets try this.
[
017_zps3rkpbukp.jpg
[/URL]