• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

When all is going well with our tanks, why can't we just leave well enough alone

I had purchased a yasha paired with a tiger pistol and had him for about two weeks when I went to my favorite LFS last weekend, and what do I see but another yasha goby. This particular fish is absolutely lovely, with really really nice patterning, and good behavior, AND this little fish seems to be getting along with the other yasha goby in the tank, although the LFS tells me they are not a pair. So. . . this puts me in a state of want for this fish. I ask the LFS if I can keep these guys in the same tank, and the LFS tells me, truthfully, that he isn't sure. I look at live aquaria on my phone, which tells me this fish can be kept in groups. So what do I do but buy it. Well, within about 1 hour of going into the tank, the new (larger) yahsa kicks my smaller fish out of his burrow, and steals his tiger pistol buddy. That lasted for about two days. Now my formerly very happy smaller yasha is cowering in a corner of my tank. Not the behavior I wanted to see. So, what do I do but go and buy a second pistol shrimp for the smaller guy to pair with. Thankfully, it has worked, I now have two yashas in two different parts of the tank with 2 pistols. . . but just imagine what two pistol shrimp do to the sand bed in a 20g tank. Needless to say, I've pulled at least 4 frags out of the burrows in the last 48 hours. . . So I ask, why, when all is well in our tanks, do we go ahead and make those impulse buys when we know we really shouldn't?

My problem is I listen to my 3 YO ;D. You may have wondered why I have so many blue and purple fish. ;D Funny thing is that everyone has a "number" that works for them as far as fish go...and there is no real reason for it. When you get beyond it it gets all screwed up, or at least it has from my experience. At least you got a solution. I would have volunteered to buy the little guy off you but then your problem would have been mine.

When things were going really well with my tank for months I ended up tearing it down and selling it off. So look on the bright side atleast you've still got your tank.

I think we always want a change cause we like to see the tank look different. Get bored of looking at the same old tank all the time.Impulse buys are a bad part of this hobby!

I recommend purchasing at least six more pistol shrimp. With all those shrimp digging holes they'll just keep refilling each others tunnels as they're digging new ones. ;D

Re: When all is going well with our tanks, why can't we just leave well enough a

GregW said:
I recommend purchasing at least six more pistol shrimp. With all those shrimp digging holes they'll just keep refilling each others tunnels as they're digging new ones. ;D
Thats a great idea!

Unfortunately, I don't have a 3 year old to blame for this. . . just a case of "Ooh, I WANT that!" from 28 year old me.

NikkiT said:
So I ask, why, when all is well in our tanks, do we go ahead and make those impulse buys when we know we really shouldn't? 

Because it is fun, exciting, etc...

Some of my family members have asked, when will you be done....and I promptly tell them never!!

Changing things are what makes the hobby fun and interesting.

I am not talking about irresponsible changes for those who are ready to blast away.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
...because that is what his hobby is all about! ;D if we didn't like to mess with our tanks we would all be breeding guppies...just add water and they breed! Pun intended at Paul!!! ;D

But honestly...Paul, in comparsion, how many times more do you mess with your reef tank over the guppy tank?? ???

Rod

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
rodclement said:
….we would all be breeding guppies...just add water and they breed!

Ahhhh! The good old days! Now I have this noose around my neck if the form of a 90 reef tank..

Hey, how did I get sucked into this conversation? Rod, if you don’t apologize to my guppies, I’m coming over with a couple hundred of them to put in with your discus. They are so upset they’ve started to breed again.

rodclement said:
But honestly...Paul, in comparsion, how many times more do you mess with your reef tank over the guppy tank?? ???

I do a water change maybe about once a month….when I think of it. I cut down the overgrowing plants about every two months…when I’m doing a water change. I clean the filter maybe twice a year. Other then that, a pinch of food every day or two. Oh, and of course I thoroughly explained the birds and the bees to them, and I must of unknowingly mentioned rabbits as well, because they just won’t stop.

aw lol - you REALLY have to close up on a new home so the big tank can get set up!!!! what - are there like 5 shrimp (2 pistols, 3 cleaner) in there now? ;D

impulse buy...lol yeah I don't do that for the display anymore....now i'm impulse buying for little 1/2 inch fish that look like puppies... ;D First a heater, then ammonia badges, then amquel, then rotifer food, then otohime fish fry food, then more salt, then decap'd brine, then brine shrimp net, then rotifer sieve. Ok you get my drift.

The day I hit a hundred clowns at 90 days old is when I will say "been there, done that, retiring". ;)

then i'll probably just revert to impulse buying for the display...or finally break down and listen to panmanmatt and get some sea horses!

i would say that is a little better then my latest..........
i bought a 2 1/2 inch randals goby 4 days ago to pair up with my randals pistol and have not seen him since i put him in the water
i drip aclimated him for 2hours, gave him some flake food to make sure he was eating and as soon as i put him in the tank he headed for the rocks and has not come out since.
i thought they would pair up quick from my research but no luck .
i just hope he is alive behind my rock wall(i left about 4 inches of room behind it when i set up the tank) and i will be shocked when and if he pops his head out.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Re: When all is going well with our tanks, why can't we just leave well enough a

GregW said:
mnat said:
2 pistols
2 cleaners
2 fire

Yeah she really like her shrimp.

What's the matter Mike? No room for your 50 new corals?

There is room, it is kind of like tetris makes is more fun. Your not giving me enough credit we are over 60 at this point. ;D

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member

mnat said:
GregW said:
mnat said:
2 pistols
2 cleaners
2 fire

Yeah she really like her shrimp.

What's the matter Mike? No room for your 50 new corals?

There is room, it is kind of like tetris makes is more fun. Your not giving me enough credit we are over 60 at this point. ;D

Not much room. We'll post pics sunday.

Paul, Im with you, i don't know how you got dragged into this. . . but welcome!
Hawk, your *impulse* buys are remarkably similar to some of mine. . . we have a mandarin pair in our 30g now, and the male isn't eating frozen yet. . . which means I, so far, have fed him about $150 worth of copepods that I keep buying and there is again a brine shrimp culture running. . . That was the impulse buy from 3 weeks ago. Remember what I said about the 28 year old who didn't know when to stop? Hopefully he'll follow the female's lead and figure out that the turkey baster spits out food soon. He has been an expensive "Ohh I WANT that" so far- Paul's guppys are starting to look good.

P.S. We are done buying frags, we now have enough for the 57g

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member

mnat said:

Totally Mike modifying my post. . . Nikki

redfishbluefish said:
mnat said:
mnat said:

Totally Mike modifying my post. . . Nikki

Sue him. I know a good lawyer! ;D

Lol. I like him too much to sue him . . . besides, he pays for the NJRC membership, and I wouldn't want to lose that!