• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which Model Hydor Koralia...

Hey everyone. Im looking to buy some power heads for my tank.
I like the look of the Hydor Koralia's and wanted to purchase some.
But which model should I get? I have a 72g tank. How many should I purchase?

Anyone use them? If so, do you like them?

I have 2 4s on my 120 and had a 2 on my nano...I like them a lot...efficient energy wise, magnetic mounts, reasonable price. Mine have proven to be quiet and reliable. You can now buy the controllable ones but then price becomes less reasonable. I like mine towards the top to create a lot of surface motion.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have two K3's on my 75 gallon tank which gives medium flow. One on each side. The K4's were to much for my softies.

vamplillith said:
What type of flow is best?
Should I stay on the safe side and get the 3's and stick to a medium flow?

Depends on what you are going to keep. SPS I think you might want the 4s...if all softies and LPS then go 3s. With mine I have the 4s and SPS sort of things on the top and softer stuff down towards the bottom. Your preference I think mate.

I have the 4s in my 90 and the flow is a bit high in spots and I am forced to point it at surface to try to lessen it a bit. Then again, there's a lot of dead spots too. When my pre-ordered tunze comes in, I'm switching them out. Obviously, controllable gives you better options but more $$$. I think I would go with the 3s if I had to do it again.

Should I place a 4 towards the top for surface circulation and place a 3 towards midsection?
Would that make a better flow in my tank? Right now I don't have much going on in my tank, just live rock, but eventually want to branch out and do other things with the tank. I want to keep it on the safe side when buying the power heads, so that I am able to keep them regardless on what I end up doing.

I have 2 k4 on my 72 both half way down on each side, pointing up and towards the middle of the tank. They create a great amount of flow on the top, middle and bottom of the tank... if I point the straight out they blow the sand all over the place.

On my tank, if I point too straight or have them too low, I get blown sand using the 4s. The sandbed is about 2-3". I think this is tough call and you kinda don't know what you're getting till you try. Any chance of borrowing one from someone to play around with? I'd lend you mine once my tunzes come in but that may be awhile.

vamplillith said:
Should I place a 4 towards the top for surface circulation and place a 3 towards midsection?
Would that make a better flow in my tank? Right now I don't have much going on in my tank, just live rock, but eventually want to branch out and do other things with the tank. I want to keep it on the safe side when buying the power heads, so that I am able to keep them regardless on what I end up doing.

Honestly...it won't matter a lot 3s or 4s...placement will depend a lot on your rockwork, sand ect.  Get whichever you can at a good price and fiddle till they work right.  Placing them towards the top gives you gas exchange and if aimed at each other a more turbulant water movement so that would be my suggestion...aimed lower and they will move the sand a lot.

i have a 55 with 2 k2s pointing towards the bottom crossing to create an intersection to cause flow dispersement. i put my returns towards the top to agitate the water surface. looking at my corals they seem happy and get enough movement. about 1650gph water movement

I have a 75gal and have 2 K3s, on one on each side, and they create a good amount of flow along with the 2 return lines from my sump.

I have a 180 tank, had two K4s. One of them blew the skin right off of two bird's nest corals over a period of two weeks. they where about a 18-20 inches in front of one of the k4's, about 2 inches off center. I now alternate between one K4 + one K2, during half the day, and the other K4 + a different K2 at night, so that the flow is coming from different spots. I get a little more sediment build up now on the rocks, but the corals seem a less beat up. If I had it to do over again, I would get more koralias, but lesser power. Maybe four k2s?, or two K3s plus two k2s all running at the same time for my tank.

Note: you also don't have to attach the front short tubular piece that directs/concentrates flow on the koralias. Keeping it off causes more dispersion of the stream which works better (or worse) depending on the set up.

i have a 55 with 2 k2s. they are positioned at the top of the tank on opposite sides, one points down a slope of rocks and the other points along the surface.

it sounds like k4s might be a little too much, but i imagine it depends on the amount of rock work/exposed corals you have.

thank you but the tanks not set up yet I think a 4 is a bit much for me I'll probably stay between the 2-3k's no corals in this tank just the prettiest fish I can find

i have 3 k4's on each side of my 180. one pointing toward the sandbed, one center stream, and one pointing the water surface (each side)