• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Which Model Hydor Koralia...

Patriot76 said:
i have 3 k4's on each side of my 180. one pointing toward the sandbed, one center stream, and one pointing the water surface (each side)

Patriot, so you have six k4's total? What kind of corals? Do you ever have issues with too much water blast on any corals? Or the sand bed blowing off the bottom in spots? Whats the closest you've kept a coral in front of one of the k4's? Also, one other curiosity, do you keep the front piece on all of them that directs and concentrates the stream, or have you taken some off? Thanks.

jgana said:
Patriot76 said:
i have 3 k4's on each side of my 180. one pointing toward the sandbed, one center stream, and one pointing the water surface (each side)

Patriot, so you have six k4's total? What kind of corals? Do you ever have issues with too much water blast on any corals? Or the sand bed blowing off the bottom in spots? Whats the closest you've kept a coral in front of one of the k4's? Also, one other curiosity, do you keep the front piece on all of them that directs and concentrates the stream, or have you taken some off? Thanks.

mostly sofies, some sps. a couple nem's. zoa's. mixed reef really.

i keep the front piece on them all (more concentrated stream)

i dont have a problem with too much flow b/c of the way they are positioned. plus my return pump is only a mag-9.5 (to maximize time in sump/fug/skimmer)

i have three 4k's on each end of the tank all three right next to each other pointing in three different directions. since my tank is in-wall it doesnt matter that i have no side view.

i use to only have two on each side but recently added a third to each side to combat cyano on the sand/cushed coral. it worked. adding the two extra's allowed me to point two towards the top more also, causing more surface aggitation, which makes a nice shimmering affect with MH's.

As previously said, it all depends what you plan to keep in your tank in the long run.

On my 75 I started off with 2 X #4s, but that was too much, so I switched to 1 X #3 and 1 X #4. As my corals (mostly SPS) began to grow, I switched the #3 with the #4, so I was using 2 X #4. By the time the tank was taken apart, my SPS had grown significantly, and I was running 2 X #4 AND 1 X 3#. :eek:

In my 47g tall tank... I had 3 x 160gph powerheads (wave maker) and 1 x 240gph powerhead in my tank originally. I removed all four and then dropped in 2 x koralia #2's and I personally feel cheated on the flow, but I have a crushed coral bottom so no sand storms. The koralia probably moves more water, and creates more flow, but it just doesn't feel like it - even with the directed flow piece on. So, YMMV :)