• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Why not get the kids involved!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, we finally broke down and set up tanks for the kids. Sierra (7 years old) is the turn-coat of the group. She wanted "the pretty pink fish". Zach (5 years old) decided to stick with our good old family values! Here are the first pics:

A Pair of Pico's

Pair_of_Picos.jpg

2.5g Freshwater Tank

Sie.jpg

3g Saltwater Tank (that needs more rock)

Zach.jpg

This should be a fun journey for them. Hopefully we can keep the Beta alive. We really don't have much luck with Freshwater fish.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
SHUSH! Girl. That's just not even funny. And if you want to start predicting the future... I see 3 more kids in yours! ;D

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Thanks for the offer Matt. We have plenty of small rock too. I just wanted to let the water clear and move them to their rooms before I added the rest of it. We're trying to give you a run for your money, btw. This officially makes 5 display tanks in the house and 1 at work. 6 more and will be all tied up!

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I love them! Sierra's tank brings me right back to that age! Where's the treasure chest?!

Freshwater?

I'm not sure I even remember how to take care of one of them anymore. I'd probably kill everything in it in short time!

Carlo

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We've tried FW before and failed miserably. It was about a year ago. Couldn't keep GUPPIES alive, lol. Now there's 1 betta in there (killed the first one). If we lose this one we're going to go SW with hers too!

Phyl said:
We've tried FW before and failed miserably. It was about a year ago. Couldn't keep GUPPIES alive, lol. Now there's 1 betta in there (killed the first one). If we lose this one we're going to go SW with hers too!

Don't be disappointed. Guppies are becoming extremely hard to maintain. I guess from all the crossbreeding their stock is becoming very weak. And most of them are coming with TB to which they succumb very shortly.

It's funny however, since everyone always says salt water tanks (especially reefs) are much harder. Half the people I know who put a FW tank in after being a SW person for a while fail too. One thing for sure is that it's a lot cheaper per failure!

Carlo

I have tons of GUPPIES! FREE! I can't kill them, Phyl one thing with fresh water is you shouldn't use RO/DI the water is too pure for freshwater fish. I haven't done a water change in over a year on my freshwater tank, all I do is add top off tap water treated with start right, change the filter cartridges when I remember too usually once every couple of months. If you want I can help you out with freshwater, it is far easier than saltwater and a lot less expensive. Even have tons of white gravel, plants, decor I could give you :)

mott768 said:
I have tons of GUPPIES! FREE! I can't kill them, Phyl one thing with fresh water is you shouldn't use RO/DI the water is too pure for freshwater fish. I haven't done a water change in over a year on my freshwater tank, all I do is add top off tap water treated with start right, change the filter cartridges when I remember too usually once every couple of months. If you want I can help you out with freshwater, it is far easier than saltwater and a lot less expensive. Even have tons of white gravel, plants, decor I could give you :)

Maybe that is the root problem is that we try to do too much with fresh water and we should just let it be?!?!?

Carlo, one problem going from salt to fresh is people tend to over do it with freshwater :) there is no need to go all technical and use high end equiptment (simple is best) I have had freshwater for 15yrs + I also used to bread guppies and mollies for local stores.

jazzsam said:
Maybe that is the root problem is that we try to do too much with fresh water and we should just let it be?!?!?

Yup :) plus the fact that some people think they are doing good by using RO/DI water it's good for salt bad for fresh.

How about the waste side of the RO/DI unit? What's your thought on that. I know a fish store or two who do that. :)

Carlo