• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Why not get the kids involved!

jazzsam said:
Maybe that is the root problem is that we try to do too much with fresh water and we should just let it be?!?!?

I am taking that to extreme, I haven't changed water or fed fish or did absolutely anything in FW 55 gal for almost 2 years. ;D (with exception of adding total of maybe 10-15 gal of evaporated water per year).

Carlo said:
How about the waste side of the RO/DI unit? What's your thought on that. I know a fish store or two who do that. :)

Carlo

I personaly never tried and not sure if I would. How does there livestock look? Do the fish look healthy? Do they have a problem with algae in their tanks (only if they don't run a UV)?

Nice Job John

The rules are the same...change water periodically, clean the filters (and occasionally the gravel), don't overcrowd, don't overfeed and keep compatible animals. ;)

Dom

PS..I used to use the waste water from our RO system for water changes on the store's FW tanks. In the case of most fish, I just
raised the Ph to 7.0. For African Cichlids the Ph of the waste water was raised to 7.8-8.0

Dom

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, I've kept all kinds of fish with Bettas.

There are some really nice platy's and swords. You should look into those.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Excellent! Sierra will be very happy. "It's not fair that Zach has two fish and I only have one!"

sinkingbeach said:
JohnS_323 said:
So here's a potentially stupid question: Can you mix other FW fish with a Beta?

I'm under the impression you can, just not another beta.

actually one could keep a pair of females...or a male and female (but after they breed you'll have to remove the female).

you could always get her a pleco... ::) they only grow to like 2 feet...

Personally I was partial to those little african clawed aquatic frogs.

John don't get anything that has long colorful fin's like Fancy guppies, the beta will think it's another beta and attack, a small lemon tetra or snow tetra would be a good addition, just don't get a painted glass tetra.

John

Placing other fish in with a Betta is chancey as the Betta's finnage is a magnet for other fish to "nip' at. Guppies and Platy types OK but Tiger Barbs, Danios probably not

Dom.

Have you ever put a Guppy and a male beta in a small tank together? Every time I have seen and heard of this being done the beta rips apart the guppy. I don't think that would be good since this is a kids tank, last thing the child needs to see is a fish ripped apart.

A platy or mollie would be ok but can get big that's why I recommend a lemon tetra or snow tetra. From the looks of it the tank is 2.5-3gallon which is too small for platys and mollies. Also mollies are prone to ick so being in that small of a tank would not be good.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mott768 said:
...I don't think that would be good since this is a kids tank, last thing the child needs to see is a fish ripped apart.

Good call . . . BUT . . . my kids have been around our tanks long enough to know what really happens! In fact, the day we picked up the new tank and livestock from BluesTraveler, Sierra got to watch a cleaner shrimp rip the head off of another shrimp (coral banded or something). It was funny as hell, well probably not to her, but I laughed. She said "Oh daddy look at this cool new shrimp. Hey! What's that other one doing? HEY! He just ripped it's head off!" Fortunately, she's pretty stoic about these things but I appreciate the concern.

Thanks, too, to everyone for all of the suggestions.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How about a bunch of Cardinal Tetra's? They are really cool fish...they almost look like saltwater fish.

ReefDrumz said:
How about a bunch of Cardinal Tetra's? They are really cool fish...they almost look like saltwater fish.

They would be fine in a 10g or bigger tank, they should be kept in groups of 3 or more, they also need hiding places. John's really limited with that size tank.