• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wine Lovers Out There!?

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
G'morning everyone!

Just wonderign if we have a wine lover's base here in the Club...?

As some of you know, I manage a Private Club and as part of my job duties...I try wines every week, tough job but someone has to do it! I am also responsible for developing wine lists and have been awarded "Best Private Club List" for two years by our trade publication, and Wine Spectator judged one of my lists as :...the right mix between affordable and exceptional wines.." (yes I am very proud of that!). Now please don't think I am an expert sommelier...I am just someone who likes to read and research what's best for my members...and who loves to drink wine! ;D

So...get to the point right...?

I would like to get to know some local wine lovers and exchange some ideas on wines, etc...even maybe having informal meets, etc...I also have access to any wines sold in the state of NJ at my License cost and can, from time to time come across some great deals that I would love to share with members and friends, for example...I just bought two cases of re-released 2002 Jordan Cabernet at $46 per bottle! Yes...2002!

Anyway...here's a shout out to all wine lovers out there! Where are you? ;D

Rod

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Hey Rod, huge "wino" here, I have a well stocked cellar and have even started doing the "make your own wine" thing at a local place. Would love to get more info about your club.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Darren! Nice to meet you!

Well my Club is a private Golf Club in Bergen County...Knickerbocker Country Club...

I want to see if we, reefers, can maybe start an informal get together to enjoy some wines, just for fun and exchange of info, nothing better then some wine and reef talk no!? Maybe throw in the ocasional cigar...

Oddly enough I barely have wines at home, since I work in this industry...I mostly taste wines at work...I have enough at home but only some odds and ends, or some OK drinking wines for everyday top-offs if you know what I mean! ;D I do keep some verticals like Insignia (95 on to 2005) and Cinq Cepage (97 to 2004)...yes I like California reds! This current Club I am working for is not necessarily filled with wine enthusiasts so I long for some more talk!

Rod

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
rodclement said:
I want to see if we, reefers, can maybe start an informal get together to enjoy some wines, just for fun and exchange of info, nothing better then some wine and reef talk no!? Maybe throw in the ocasional cigar...

Count me in!! And that is an awesome flight of Insignia!! I only have the 2001, defintiely one of my favorite wines. I too love the california wines. Silver Oak, Dominus, Quintessa, Caldwell, among my favorites.

I enjoy vino as well, but maybe not to the extent of you guys. My fav so far was Plumpjacks cabernet I shipped home from Napa last year. I most likely do not have the experience of most other wine lovers on here though, only really been drinking it for a few years. Sounds like a great idea, theres nothing like a quality bottle of wine over dinner.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Plumbjack is awesome!!! You are in the right track!!! SO we got 3 in 30 minutes!!! Looks like this is promissing!!!

Rod

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Great score on the 2002 bottles. I had heard that 2002 was a great year for wine. There was a lot of rain that season and the grapes grew very flavorful. Unlike 2003, when it was very dry and the grapes had more of a bitter taste.

I'd definitely be in for an exchange of knowledge, vino and tobacco!

I loved Plumpjack too. My buddy moved out there from north jers and we got free passes to all of the tastings in Napa, plus trade discounts. I think an 85 bottle cost us 50! Unfortunately I couldnt wait and had to drink them within 6 months.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Rbu1 said:
Hey Rod....I prefer a sweet wine, what would you suggest? I do like Valenzano Shamong red....

They are local right? I've seen pictures of their place and heard of them but haven't tried their wines...maybe I should!

Not sure what you mean by sweet, if you mean more like a fruit forward wine you can try some Merlots or some of the newer Pinot Noir from New Zealand...yumy!!! If by sweet you are closer to sugary then I would definetly send you towards a Semillion or a late harvest Zinfandel...to me the most interesting wine I tasted in a while is "Lu" a small Italian maker that won my heart...not available in stores...

Jhon I have a full case if you want a couple...

Rod

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Also if you can find...I can't "Paul Hobbs, Michael Black Merlot"...one of my favourite wines of all times!!! No longer produced but...WOW!

Rod

Thanks, dont go crazy though. I heard NJ gets like 15 bottles (or something ridiculous like that) a year. Thats what I heard though, cant confirm. Im sure it would also be really,really expensive

I love my wine, but am not a collector. I am too impatient! I love a good cab or pinot noir. I have been getting the Berringers Knights valley at a great deal at Costco in Brick. 16.99 a bottle! Anyway, at least I can afford to drink it. Also like the Seven Deadly Zins they carry at a good price.

Did someone say wine? I LOVE LOVE LOVE wine. Don't collect it - just gobble it down. Every time Alex manages to "collect" 6 bottles of "better" wine they manage to find their way into my stomach. ::) My favorite is German wine - but I can't drink too much of it at once for obvious reasons. ;D

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I prefer my wine from a box!!

Actually I'm not a big fan of wine but if there's gonna be cigars involved I'm in.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Rbu1 said:
Hey Rod....I prefer a sweet wine, what would you suggest?  I do like Valenzano Shamong red....

Try one of the German Liebfraumilchs.  A Liebfraumilch is a nice semisweet white wine.  The one great thing about German wines is that by law they must include a “quality” label on the bottle.  Google it to find out more but I will tell you that bottles labeled Prädikatswein, (or bottles older than August, 2007, Qualitätswein mit Prädikat), are the quality wines from Germany.

I’m not a big wine person….a cast iron palette.  However, my wife enjoys her wine, and for the longest time was a rather costly venture.  She is not a box wine drinker, but fortunately for me, her palette isn’t far from mine.  We have discovered Charles Shaw…sold at Trader Joes, at an astonishing price of 2.99/bottle.  We buy this by the multicase/ fill up the trunk until the rear of the car is dragging.  She loves it.  They just introduced an Australian wine, a 2008 Chardonnay, that she truly enjoys.  We only purchased six bottles, so I’m sure I’ll be making another trip to buy a couple cases of this in the next week or so.