• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wine Lovers Out There!?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, I'm too impatient as well. I enjoy my wine too much to "collect" them. Then I never remember what I liked and what I didn't! LOL!

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul,

Liebfraumilch is solely responsible for german wines being famous worldwide, back in the 90's they got a grant from the German Goverment to spread their wines over the world, they were very succesful and the famous blue bottles became trendy just like Italian Pinot Grigio in the early 2000's and Australian wines in the mid 2000's.

Good wine, a bit on the sweet side for me but very good representation of German wines.

Rod

Hey, Rod

I came from Ukraine. Did you try any of Crimean and Georgian wines? There is a store on Route 73 in South Jersey. They have a huge collection of Crimean wines. One of our favorite wine is dark red sweet Kagor.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
whitebear1020 said:
Hey, Rod

I came from Ukraine. Did you try any of Crimean and Georgian wines? There is a store on Route 73 in South Jersey. They have a huge collection of Crimean wines. One of our favorite wine is dark red sweet Kagor.

Man I am salivating already! Never tried them...must try them now! ;D

So what are all of you having with your turkeys? Anyone have any special wines planned for turkey day???

Rod

I'd like to get (several) Merlot. Is there one you can recommend, Rod? They don't all have to be the same. I think it would be great fun if I had several different bottles....sorta like a wine tasting thing at my house while overstuffing ourselves on food. ;D

Talking about wine-tasting. I so miss it! When we were stationed in Germany (wine country - "Sprendlingen"), we'd be wine-tasting at least every other weekend. SO much fun.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
rodclement said:
So what are all of you having with your turkeys? Anyone have any special wines planned for turkey day???

Rod

Old vine Zinfandel goes great with turkey. I will be serving, Neyers old vine Zin 2006, Orin Swift The Prisoner 2005, Bogle The Phantom 2006.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Prisioner and Swift go well even with ham & cheese sandwiches!

I just found 3 bottles of 2002 Murphy Goode Cab in my storage that I didn't know about! Bonus! Nothing amazing but a good wine ready to drink now! mAybe i'll open that with our Lasagna...not a Turkey person...! Also found a bottle of Bell Claret 2005...single bottle needs drinking you know!?

Rod

Phil G and I are both big wine lovers too. Our palates have become more sophisticated over the years, but we're still rank amatures. We like what we like, which is usually anything dry.

The most frightening thing is that we've recently discovered some really good BOXED wine! <GASP> We're big fans of Hardy's Cabernet and Merlot. Hardy's is the same whether it's boxed or bottled. From a chemical standpoint, the boxed wines are better becuase they're not exposed to air, so they last longer and retain their character and flavor. I highly recommend them!

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hey Pete!

Hope you and Phil had a great Thanksgiving! Wine is like any other thing that requires personal taste...whatever makes you happy is best for you!

I happen to think Hardy's is not bad for an everyday drinking wine, it is the house winesof many good restaurants out there! Can't beat the cost benefit of their line!

Boxed wine is by far the best solution for long care of wines once open! Since no air enters the container, the wine can be kept indefinetly. Also the stelvin (screw cap), and syntetic or processed corks are better then regular cork...

There are great wines out there that come in boxes, also fantastic wines that have screw caps or artificial cork, the key here is not the packaging but if you like the juice ;D! Enjoy!

FYI, I happen to think that hot dogs are gourmet meals!!! ;D ;D

Rod

momof6kids

NJRC Member
Doug and I are both lovers of wine, though certain wines trigger my asthma lately. I think it may have to do with the amount of sulfites in some wines. We have made a few different kinds of wine at a local place. Really liked the Bordeaux we made 2 years ago.

Our daughter Holly also is a wine enthusiast. She used to be the wine buyer for a restaurant she used to manage before realizing after 2 years of working 70-80 hours work weeks that this wasn't the life she wanted.

Erna

momof6kids said:
Doug and I are both lovers of wine, though certain wines trigger my asthma lately. I think it may have to do with the amount of sulfites in some wines. We have made a few different kinds of wine at a local place. Really liked the Bordeaux we made 2 years ago.

Our daughter Holly also is a wine enthusiast. She used to be the wine buyer for a restaurant she used to manage before realizing after 2 years of working 70-80 hours work weeks that this wasn't the life she wanted.

Erna

Try the sulfate free wines. There are a lot of them out there now. I used to love wine but then it would make me feel like I can't breath too but now I'm fine with sulfate free wines.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Erma...good to see you posting again...good to have you back! :)

I will research sulfite free wines for you and see what I can find!

Anyone looking for a bargain out there I recomend "Oyster Bay" wines from New Zealand! Their Sav Blanc in my house poor, their Chardonnay is excellent and the Pinot Noir drinks like a $30 bottle! The Sav Blan and the Chard cost me $8 and change a bottle, should retail around $13 in liquor stores...the Pinot Noir costs me $12 a bottle so it should retail arounf $18 or so at the liquor stores, if anyone knows for sure please post and let me know!

For those wine nuts out there...Plumb Jack 2006 Cabernet...$57 per botlle...nice! The state of NJ only receives 12 cases per vintage...I got one...! The 2006 Reserve costs me $185 a bottle...now that's nice juice!!! I could not get any alocation...they are sold out! The regular Cabernet is rated higher then the Reserve...go figure!

Rod :-X

I'm the manager of a restaurant with a very nice, diverse wine list. I love to drink wine, although I, too, cannot seem to keep wines in my cellar long enough to consider them collected. And, my pocket can rarely handle anything over the $40 mark. I'm in North Bergen and would love to hook up and drink and discuss wines with other lovers! Perhaps a small, rotating group in our area to drink wine and look at fish?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm in! Oh darmnbvhe! I'm too far south. Maybe we can start a South-of-Central/North-of-South circle. LOL! Good to see you Kat!

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well...I think the March meeting is in my house...we can make it a wine themed event!!! I have something else in mind maybe for January...I'll think it trough and then post here...must talk to BOD first...keep tuned!

Rod