• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

wrasse gone missing!!

i have a yellow coris wrasse in a small 15gal. tank & i usually see him out during the day cuz i know at night they bury themselves in the sand. today i've been home all day & haven't seen it once. i've heard they jump out sometimes so i checked all around the tank & nothing. so my question is has anybody ever heard of them stayin in the sand all day & not coming out at all for a whole day? any input would be appreciated thx

oscar said:
i have a yellow coris wrasse in a small 15gal. tank & i usually see him out during the day cuz i know at night they bury themselves in the sand. today i've been home all day & haven't seen it once. i've heard they jump out sometimes so i checked all around the tank & nothing. so my question is has anybody ever heard of them stayin in the sand all day & not coming out at all for a whole day? any input would be appreciated thx

check your skimmer my wrasse ended up in mine LOL

When rbu1 and I had to get his formasa wrasse out of his tank, he stayed buried the entire day and we had to dig him out. When we caught him, he played dead too (immediate color change, stopped breathing, etc.). I would still check all around the tank, sump, skimmer, etc. They are serious jumpers.

Oscar, for days I thought mine was gone, either jumped, dead and eaten, then all of a sudden he appeared. He dissapeared for days on me.

I would also check the floor. I had one commit suicide. The most accommodating fish I have ever had. I tried to to get it out with a fish trap for a week with no luck. A couple days later I found it on the floor. I guess he did not want to be here with no love.
Ken

thx for the info guys.i'm not that worried now that i know something like this has happened to someone else.i have already checked the skimmer & the floor all around the tank & couldn't find it so hopefully tomorrow he'll decide to pop out again. thx again guys

give it a couple of days. If they are stressed they may do that. If you can look at the bottom glass from under your stand try and see if maybe you can locate him buried like that.when I can't find mine that's what I do. But it does happen. Worse case you can have mine and my two sixlines when I get them out LOL.

thx mgonz but i'm gonna have to pass on ur offer.lol. still no sign of my wrasse today,i'm still optimistic that it's alive for now. hopefully it is just stressed out & will be back out soon

you sure? They may make a nice home of your tank. LOL now they are trying to kill my mandarin. I can not wait to get them out of my tank.

GOOD NEWS!!!!! i found it. i took mgonz's suggestion & looked at the bottom of the tank from underneath the stand. i saw a small yellow spot & moved the sand a lil & sure enuff it came flyin out. unfortunately he swam around for 20-30 seconds & went right back into the sand where i dug him out of. at least now i know he's not dead & where to find it

That's great. But leave him alone. The more you stress him out the more he will hide. You may even see it sticking its head a little out of the sand taking a look around. They have an amazing personality. Unfortunatly mine likes to eat any new snail I put in the tank. Imagine trying to add a nice clean up crew to the tank and you see him come kill the new ones almost instantly. I tried adding the at night and he still went after the new ones the following morning. Yeah he has got to go.

yea i left him alone since i found where he was hiding. i figure he'll come out whenever he's ready. ur fish sound horrible. they're pretty much terrorizing ur tank, huh?

Yeah you can say that. The crazy thing is i never see them doin anything like that in anyone's tank. Just mine. I got a new maxima clam and the yellow wrasse started trying to flip it over and eat its cleat. I'm so sick of them. I can't wait till the day the are out. I try to keep them well fed but i guess thats not enough. I try. I'm glad you found your fish though. I know its a big relief.

just a little update. my wrasse came back out today which was good but he doesnt look like he's in great shape though which i don't understand cuz he was perfectly fine b4 he went in to hiding, at least to me he looked fine. he came out on his own but he's breathing heavy & not movin around too much. he's actually layin on its side last time i checked like 10 min. ago. i'm guessin he's probably not gonna make it but i'm still hopin he'll make a comeback.

have you treied feeding him? When I first got mine he hid for about 4 days. He looked bad but he came around. Hopefully he will be ok.

i did try feeding it but it didnt do much. it ended up dying a few hrs after he came out. when i took it out of the tank i noticed that on the top of its head from the eyes to its mouth it looked like it had been bitten off . the only thing i can think of that might have done that is a big bristle worm that i noticed when i looked under the tank when i was lookin for the wrasse. thtas assuming that bristle worms do that kind of thing .

So sorry for your loss. :(

Do you have hermits/crabs in your tank? If the fish was weak enough, and getting ready to die, hermits and/or other crabs can start cleaning up, as can bristleworms. But they leave healthy animals alone, at least in my experience.