• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Your Best 'Do You Remember When?' Story...

I will go first :)
My first RO/DI unit that had a sediment/carbon filter followed by 2 separate DI canisters that you recharged (frequently) using separate acid and lye baths and were Inline BEFORE the RO membrane.... What a PITA!

My first tank was a 5 Gallon with a slate bottom and metal corners.

I must have been 8 years old with a 10g stainless frame and slate bottom and a little corner filter powered by an air pump. I remember putting one garden snail in there with some sword tails and danios.... Must have had a bajillion snails in there when my parents broke it down. There was about a thousand just inside the filter all about the size of the head of a pin.

I forgot all about that. Thanks for reminding me! :)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My first tank was a 5 Gallon with a slate bottom and metal corners.

James, your bringing back memories from the 60’s…..multiple slate bottom tanks with stainless steel corner trim, and some black goop that held it all together. Not sure if it was silicone or not, but I remember it oozing out Also had all those tanks set up with under-gravel filters, and a piston style air pump that chugged. I don’t think my parents noticed that I drilled a hole down into the basement to put that pump there because it was so loud.

Same but it was a 20 and it came from Rickles on rout 18.

Pete, I grew up in EB and certainly remember Rickles. Are you sure it was Rickles, because they were like the precursor to Home Depot….a hardware type store? I didn’t realize they sold fish tanks. At the time I would frequent a fish store (pet store) in New Brunswick across the street from Freeze Camera shop…..it’s now gone.

EDIT TO ADD (as I reminisce): Could that store have been Two Guys….thatwas a general department store that carried everything located on Route 18 atthe intersection of 18 and Tices Lane?

Last edited:
I don't know what that black stuff was....good question...and you had the screw in light bulbs with metal fixtures that got hot as heck.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
James, your bringing back memories from the 60’s…..multiple slate bottom tanks with stainless steel corner trim, and some black goop that held it all together. Not sure if it was silicone or not, but I remember it oozing out Also had all those tanks set up with under-gravel filters, and a piston style air pump that chugged. I don’t think my parents noticed that I drilled a hole down into the basement to put that pump there because it was so loud.

Pete, I grew up in EB and certainly remember Rickles. Are you sure it was Rickles, because they were like the precursor to Home Depot….a hardware type store? I didn’t realize they sold fish tanks. At the time I would frequent a fish store (pet store) in New Brunswick across the street from Freeze Camera shop…..it’s now gone.

EDIT TO ADD (as I reminisce): Could that store have been Two Guys….thatwas a general department store that carried everything located on Route 18 atthe intersection of 18 and Tices Lane?
Paul

'Two Guys from Harrison' was the official title. Loved that place when I was a kid.

Bob

Ahh.... When answering machines first came out and they were $600 and came with 2 mini cassette tapes, one for the greeting and one for the messages. Those were the days! If you didn't get an answer on the phone you had to go out looking for your friends. And if you didn't want to be found, well....