• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Your Best 'Do You Remember When?' Story...

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yea.. those answering machines were ancient history, but I remember back before they came out and all there was available was a rotary phone. Really sucked when you messed up 6 numbers in and had to start over.

Now most people don't even use a home phone anymore. Mobile phones have taken over that market.

Yup! I had an old candlestick phone for my first phone (by choice actually. I am not that old ) they were great! I uses to grab the phone and fling the earpiece off the cradle and catch it mid air :)
And who could forget the party lines where you would pick up the phone to make a call and someone else was already on the line!

I remember party lines, at the time we had an old box phone. It didn't even have a dialer on it, you had to push the cradle a few times to get an operator.

Old_box_telephone_zps1a850783.jpg

Yea, I think maybe that was Doug's true intention for starting this thread, LOL.

LMAO... Not really my intention but it is funny. Was really trying to just stay fish related but I am glad it didn't. Bringing back loads of memories :) Like going into the VFW and buying a round of drinks for my parents and their 3 friends at the bar and paying $2.35 for the round. Some pretty good memories too...

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
My first skate board I think I was 8 or 9 and the year 1974 or 75 I think I was the first of my friends to have one.
That's when the biggest trick skate boarders did was go fast through a slalom course. Do you remember....... I know you old timers like me do :)

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My first skate board I think I was 8 or 9 and the year 1974 or 75 I think I was the first of my friends to have one.
That's when the biggest trick skate boarders did was go fast through a slalom course. Do you remember....... I know you old timers like me do :)

Rob, go back another decade and remember skates that needed a key. We kept that key on a string around our neck. But we got inventive and took the skate apart and screwed it to a board to make a skate board. I can remember going down our driveway with minimal control.....and crashing into the street.

As far as rotary phones....we still own one....a Bell black rotary....just in case the power goes out....I can still call out! Now it sits in a draw in case. But we use to have it always hooked up. I can remember when my kids were in High School and friends were over and asked to use the phone. We pointed to the rotary and they asked, "How do we use this?"

I remember the first ones had like metal wheels...then my cousin got one with the new wheels and bearings and I found out they went much faster. I took most of the skin off of my left hand that day.

My first fish tank was just a depression carved into a rock and my first fish was a trilobite. The air pump was a little dinosaur that blew into a tube.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
My first fish tank was just a depression carved into a rock and my first fish was a trilobite. The air pump was a little dinosaur that blew into a tube.

Well caveman Jim, you had me going for a fraction of a second until I got to Trilobites…..since Trilobites were around during the Paleozoic era, where mammals didn’t exist, I’m assuming you pulled a Shirley MacLaine, and were reincarnated….maybe as that little dinosaur blowing bubbles through that tube. I could see that. Put a straw in you mouth and let me see if it looks familiar. :p:grin:

Well caveman Jim, you had me going for a fraction of a second until I got to Trilobites…..since Trilobites were around during the Paleozoic era, where mammals didn’t exist, I’m assuming you pulled a Shirley MacLaine, and were reincarnated….maybe as that little dinosaur blowing bubbles through that tube. I could see that. Put a straw in you mouth and let me see if it looks familiar. :p:grin:
Actually, now that I think of it, that wasn't a little dinosaur, it WAS Shirley MacLaine, when she was younger. I hired her, those out of work actresses will do anything to get by!

I think I remember something seeing something like that in college with some chemical help.

Paul B

NJRC Member
I remember when the saltwater hobby first started in the US in 1971, I think it was on a Tuesday about 3:40PM.
We used pennies for copper, 20 pennies to the gallon.

I remember when my dad took me to Mc Corory's Department Store to buy a fish tank. The fish were beautiful and Cichlids were like the Gem Tangs of today. Most stores would have a single saltwater tank with a few damsels. It ws amazing to see and purchasing our first Oscar Fish was a milestone!