• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Your RO might be worthless

billyr98 said:
my dad has been doing this since 1993 for his water... he thinks its the most economical way :)

Anyone out there doing this that can post a quick guide to the issues and costs?

The last time I looked at this was at least 5 years ago. I believe the chemicals used to recharge the anion and cation resins can be a bit nasty.

It can be cheaper then an RO/DI system but since you already have an RO/DI system really all you do is bypass the membrane and pick up a cartride of each or empty cartridges and bulk resin and use it that way.

For home use the 10' canister is fine in size. If you go through the resin a little faster then you want to just pick up 2 20" housings (don't cost that much) and two 20" empty cartridges and fill them.

You can recharge the resins right in the housing. The recharge materials can be a little nasty since you're working with things like hydrocloric acid but with eye protection and gloves should not be a big deal for most people. Recharging outdoors is probably a wise idea at least the first time or two.

Actually anyone with a 3 stage RO/DI unit could convert over. 2 for the resins and the first canister for a sediment filter. You production rate will be at least 5 times faster too since there is no waist water.

Carlo