• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zeobak and zeozym

Hello

Those of you who use zeozyme do you shut your skimmers off for one hour after administration.?

Do you add this to main display? Or can it go in sump?

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Shut the skimmer off for 2 hours or more. You can add directly to the tank or sump. I have always added directly to the tank with no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I do not shut shimmer and I also dose directly to the tank.

I do once a week zeozym with zeoback and coral snow and 2 times a week zeoback with coral snow.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Hey guys. I am not familiar with the zeovit line whatsoever, but I hear about these 3 products a lot (zeozyme, zeobak, and coral snow). If you don't mind can you give a brief description of them and what they do?
Thanks guys,
-Kevin

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I know coral snow is a coral food especially aimed at sps. The other two I have never used.

you have to shut off the skimmer with zeozym or it will just be pulled rite back out of the water and not really do much . i think i remember zeovit saying 6hrs if you have a problem (cayno). i would keep it off for min 2hrs. i do it then wait 4hrs to turn skimmer back on at that time clean your skimmer. its going to pull out some nice stuff when it comes back on.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Hey guys. I am not familiar with the zeovit line whatsoever, but I hear about these 3 products a lot (zeozyme, zeobak, and coral snow). If you don't mind can you give a brief description of them and what they do?
Thanks guys,
-Kevin

Kevin, its too much to write!! LOL, we can discuss if you come to the meeting.

you have to shut off the skimmer with zeozym or it will just be pulled rite back out of the water and not really do much . i think i remember zeovit saying 6hrs if you have a problem (cayno). i would keep it off for min 2hrs. i do it then wait 4hrs to turn skimmer back on at that time clean your skimmer. its going to pull out some nice stuff when it comes back on.

I completely agree, I usually dose right before lights out and leave my skimmer off all night, so that all the zeozym is absorbed into the rocks. Its a heavy substance and gets pulled out immediately if you leave your skimmer on.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Again, I do not shutoff my skimmer. I might do it next time I dose and see what happens.

Last edited:

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Darren do you take the filter socks off as well.

Jose, I do not run filter socks, but I would think that as long they are not a very fine micron rating you would be fine leaving them on. My main concern would be shutting down the skimmer, as the one time I left it running it was caked with white residue which was the zeozym and basically greatly reduced its effectiveness, in my opinion.

I will add that I have used Biomate in conjuction with zeozym with great results. I have actually seen my rocks actually become "cleaner" after dosing with Biomate and zeozym. It reduces a lot of the detritus that builds up on rocks that the cyano like to harbor and grow on.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
My main concern would be shutting down the skimmer, as the one time I left it running it was caked with white residue which was the zeozym and basically greatly reduced its effectiveness, in my opinion.

Very interesting. This never happened to me. I dosed last night and just went downstairs to check the skimmer and it was totally normal.
Maybe I am not dosing enough. I also checked the instructions and they do not say to turn off skimmer.
I will shutoff next time and see what happens.

Weird how same thing acts differently in different tanks ;).

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I think you are not dosing enough or as much, as you have mentioned you dose zeo additives at 1/4 strength. I use full dosage rec for zeozym and my entire tank turns white for a few minutes. Zeo instructions are always vague and short, but there have been many threads about proper use of zeozym and most agree skimmer off is best. I also turn off my uv light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Zeozym I am dosing 2.5 teaspoons for 600 gallon. That is the recommended dose. We will see how it goes next week.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Do you let it sit for eight to ten hours ?

I used to, but I do not any longer. Its been determined that this is unnecessary, its all over the Zeovit forum. I let it sit for 30 minutes, letting it brew for 8 hours may increase the quantities of bacteria, but they have said its more of a waste of time. Like I said its tough to follow Zeovit's directions, a lot of people go by trial and error and what works best for them, which is different in every case. I would also always forget after 8 hours and find the zeozym sitting on my counter the next day. LOL!!!