• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zoa growing contest?

I was browsing another forum and saw a club had a zoa growing contest. Everyone pitches in for a high end zoa colony and we frag it up between the participants. One or two polyps a piece. We'll set a time limit and see who can grow the most zoas. It doesn't necessarily have to be a money prize or even an official contest. Sounds like it could be fun.

Although I brought it up, I'm not sure exactly how we should do this. I guess whoever wants to participate is in, the more the merrier. What kind of zoa are you guys thinking? What vendor has some sweet zoas? Who will be the fragger? I'm thinking we could do weekly picture updates on a separate thread. All ideas are more than welcome. Will there be a prize or just bragging rights?

Just a though but how about the following. I'm thinking a 1yr long contest or it can be much shorter. Swap to Swap or maybe we can start the day of the frag swap and end at the beginning of December for delivery at the last meeting of the year. The person who grows the most polyps wins a single polyp from all frags entered in the contest.

1st: Everyone gets a different nice* zoa/paly. They can be newly purchased or can already be in your possesion. We all start with the same amount of polyps, maybe 2.
2nd: Everyone posts a pic of the contest frag.
3rd: We start growing.
4th: All entrants post monthly progress pics.
5th: Winner declared after growing period has been reached. The person who adds the most polyps during that period of time wins and the prize can be a single polyp from everybodies contest frag.

* I'm really leaning towards higher end polyps here. Most people have at least one of these laying around and those that would like to purchase are more then welcomed to do so.

1st: Everyone gets a different nice* zoa/paly. They can be newly purchased or can already be in your possesion. We all start with the same amount of polyps, maybe 2.

The point of everyone having the same type is that different types grow at different rates. Its to see who's tank can grow them better. It is more for bragging rights than anything.

The point of everyone having the same type is that different types grow at different rates. Its to see who's tank can grow them better. It is more for bragging rights than anything.
True, same zoa levels out the playing field.
I'm in, What if you have two tanks would there be two entries ?
I think that may give you the upper hand.

I like John's idea of the one year, swap to swap, time limit. I think high-end z/p is a must. Monthly pic updates is good too.

True, same zoa levels out the playing field.

I don't have any objections to that.

I like John's idea of the one year, swap to swap, time limit. I think high-end z/p is a must. Monthly pic updates is good too.

The suggestion I made was if this is a "contest" with a winner. The reward for being a winner is getting a bunch of different polyps as a prize. Hence the need to have different entries. If this is for bragging rights only then I really don't see the point of the "contest".

The suggestion I made was if this is a "contest" with a winner. The reward for being a winner is getting a bunch of different polyps as a prize. Hence the need to have different entries. If this is for bragging rights only then I really don't see the point of the "contest".
Sure, it would be nice to collect a bunch of different zoas as the winner. It would just be more fair if everyone started with the same exact zoa. What's to say the z/p I choose is a known fast grower and I blow everyone out of the water.

I just thought it would be a fun "contest" to have...

Sure, it would be nice to collect a bunch of different zoas as the winner. It would just be more fair if everyone started with the same exact zoa. What's to say the z/p I choose is a known fast grower and I blow everyone out of the water.

I just thought it would be a fun "contest" to have...

I'm going with watermelons. LOL

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
how about we gather up money as an entrance fee for the contest. we use the money to buy one or multiple high end zoa frags (depending on how many enter and how much money we collect). we then settle on a standard zoa colony that we can get for cheap and frag that out. two polyps each for every contestants and see who can grow them out quickly with the time frame agreed upon and whoever the winner is, receives the high end zoas.

how about we gather up money as an entrance fee for the contest. we use the money to buy one or multiple high end zoa frags (depending on how many enter and how much money we collect). we then settle on a standard zoa colony that we can get for cheap and frag that out. two polyps each for every contestants and see who can grow them out quickly with the time frame agreed upon and whoever the winner is, receives the high end zoas.

or gather up the $$, buy a gift certificate to a LFS and then have the growout contest with a cheaper but solid grower. stipulate that the money has to be used for coral purchases if you want. but getting a LFS involved would be ideal imo.

The down fall with getting a gift card is that you are limited to that place. The LFS really has noting to offer otherwise in the contest. Some people might not want to travel the state to go to a particular place because they have to. Judeos idea is nice cause we all agree on a high end zoa, lets say Yodas then we all get a small piece of eagle eyes or radio actives to grow out. The winner get the Yodas. In fact if someone is willing to frag it up I will put up the grow out zoa. My colony of tear jerkers from zoanthid.com is in need of fragging. We can all get 2 or 3 p and let it go. In the meantime we all put in $10-$15 to buy a nice colony of high-end zoas/palys and go from there. That way instead of getting a ho-hum grow out frag we at least get something nice.

The down fall with getting a gift card is that you are limited to that place. The LFS really has noting to offer otherwise in the contest. Some people might not want to travel the state to go to a particular place because they have to. Judeos idea is nice cause we all agree on a high end zoa, lets say Yodas then we all get a small piece of eagle eyes or radio actives to grow out. The winner get the Yodas. In fact if someone is willing to frag it up I will put up the grow out zoa. My colony of tear jerkers from zoanthid.com is in need of fragging. We can all get 2 or 3 p and let it go. In the meantime we all put in $10-$15 to buy a nice colony of high-end zoas/palys and go from there. That way instead of getting a ho-hum grow out frag we at least get something nice.

I didn't think about the whole LFS being too far for someone. I think this^ idea would work best. Instead of you just putting up the colony we could all chip in towards it. Unless you really want to just put it up;)

Anyone have fragging skills?