• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

12 gallon JBJ

Very cool. I love the 12g nano. It was my first tank. I still have the stand with the intent of getting a new one if I find a craigslist deal on one. Good luck with the rebuild. Can't wait to see some pics.

Thanks, Rob!
We got the 12g set up again, using new live sand and live rock from the big tank (most recently, previously from the 12g).
I was lucky enough to catch the PomPom crab, so he, the Candy Basslet, the Magnificent Goby, our ORA cleaner goby and a few hermits and snails are back in the 12g.
It looks like the bivalves on the old rock from the 12 made the transition from 12g to big tank, back to 12g in one piece. Hopefully, once the tank is up for a little while we can start moving the favias out of the frag tank and back into the 12g, and start trying some of the new birdsnest frags under the LEDs.

I think the 12 has a little less intense lighting then my 28 does, but birdsnest grow like weeds for me. I have them up an a ledge about 6 inches under the waterline with my mp10about 3 inches above and 2 inches forwards of them. The back pumps are aimed to shoot over them about 1 inch. I get great polyp extension and growth. Acro's didn't fare as well in the same condition though. Cali tort is still ok, but green slimer browned out pretty bad. I just left it where it is.. maybe it will bounce back who knows. Cats paw do very well also, and while I haven't seen much growth I'm getting nice coloration on my test piece of Sunset Monti. all LPS except trumpets thrive in my tank as mid level and scoly and clam and zoo's on sandbed are all very happy. Scoly is slightly shaded, zoo's are on a flat rock indirect light, and the clam on rock near zoo's but in full light.

I know you guys know what you are doing and have much more experience them me, just figured I would toss out some things that worked for me with the nc 28 pro.. My 12 with the diy led's (12 leds 6 blue 6 whites) have about the same success except I didn't have the clam or acro's at that point.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thank you for the recommendations. We are still very new with the JBJ leds so all experience helps us out. We will probably move the corals over this weekend if we get the chance.

So, we made a few changes to this tank today.
1. We removed our massive pile of LR, and replaced the top piece with a large, flat shelf piece we have had in the sump of the big system for months now. It isn't terribly esthetically pleasing, but the goal is to make the Candy Basslet comfortable. We will let you know if it works.
2. The gold stripe trimma goby relocated from the frag tank (where it has been since Sandy) back to the 12g. It is the 4th fish to call the 12g home, along with the Magnificent Goby, Candy Basselt, and a cleaner goby.
3. We added some frags! We took small cuttings of three of the birdsnests from the basement, and the setosa (thank you Sunny, Terry & Anthony, George, and Thermo!) and tiny cuttings from the appleberry monti, the christmas monti, and the rainbow monti, and moved them upstairs along with the Yuma rock we bought for my office tank (before I changed jobs), our three blue rics, and our two grey ricks. We also moved up a pretty chalice we got from Trop over the summer, it is reddish brown with turquoise stripes, and red eyes, haloed in lime green. It is very pretty under the right light.
We will see if I can convince Mike to take some photos of this tank as well since he has the camera out right now ;)

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Was wondering if Mike got some pics and whether he'd be posting them up? Curious to see how the nano looks now with all the changes.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I have yet to take any pictures, I will try tomorrow as tonight is going to be tough.

Right now, the tank looks unfinished. The rock work is functional, not pretty. the coral frags are mostly tiny. The Candy and Magnificent goby hide a lot, so at any given time you may not ssee any fish (this is exacerbated by the fact that all 3 cats are stalking the basslet).
We left the favias and the dendro in the frag tank, they like the t5s. Before when we changed this tank around, we tended to use the same rock and put the favias back in between those mini colonies and the rock, it didn't quite have such a new look to it the way it does now.

So, the 12 g has been up and running again for a while now. It has been doing OK, but it isn't back to thriving yet. The yumas, rics, and chalice I moved back upstairs are doing well; the birdsnests and montis not so great. I think it is because i have been slacking with upkeep. Last week, I fragged our trumpet, and today I put a piece of it back upstairs in the 12g.
I am still thinking about re-doing the aquascape, but I don't want to scare the heck out of the basslet, and my replacement rock is still cycling (in the basement).

The 12g is starting to look like its old self. The trumpet frag is growing nicely, and the ricks and yumas look good as well. My rock in the basement is still a nasty mess, which is preventing me from moving it upstairs to the 12g, unfortunately. Mike keeps threatening to take more photos, so I cleaned the glass last night- we will see if he takes the hint and posts some photos today ;)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Tomorrow I swear. We are in the city tonight so nothing. We have water changes and tank maintanrnce on tap for tomorrow. Pics hopefully will follow.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Took some photos but I really do not like the way they came out. It is really hard to shoot under the LEDs in this tank. I have not figured out the correct camera setting to get some real colors. Honestly the best thing that worked was auto mode with the flash enabled which I never use. I will post more pics tomorrow and shoot some more. Nikki redid the rockwork and I think that freaked the fish out a little so they were not ready to be photographed. One teaser for you all:

DSC_3632_zpsde716c57.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
So here are the photos that turned out slightly ok. I will have to really play with the camera and this tank. Also does not help the two main "stars" in the tank like to hide a lot.

DSC_3602_zps2de7d652.jpg

DSC_3598_zpsdf105e90.jpg

DSC_3605_zps9d7d95cc.jpg

DSC_3606_zpsef7c2507.jpg

DSC_3624_zpsb5fc12b8.jpg

DSC_3626_zps85bda221.jpg

Soooo I'm bad with updates.
I went looking for this thread, and realized that we have not updated it for about 10 months.
Sorry guys.
I've had a bit of a battle with this tank recently, my Pom Pom crab lost his Pom Poms in the tank move/breakdown/recreation following hurricane sandy, and I was unfortunate enough to have him pick up aptasia. That precipitated an aptasia outbreak of monumental proportions in the 12g.

We have also discovered that we do not have nearly as much luck keeping coral in this tank, with the LED hood, as we did with the PC hood. Go figure.
Looking at Mike's last photo of my mushrooms, they now look very badly bleached, and I think they will relocate to the frag tank (and t5 lighting) tonight.

On the "good" side, In recent months my zoa's have been doing better in this tank, and I'm finally starting to get the aptasia outbreak under control (I hope). I added another Pom Pom crab with Pom Poms to the tank this week, and I am hoping that my old guy will split Pom Poms with the new guy AND PUT THE APTASIA DOWN (Fingers crossed).
Photos to follow sometime soon :)