• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

12 gallon JBJ

howze01

NJRC Member
:disillusionment:

Flaming Prawn Goby???? I was tryng to get one of them for the longest time. The guy I was ordering from just never got them in.....

Like you said, tiny reclusive little guys but the every once in a while you see them is worth it.

:disillusionment:

Flaming Prawn Goby???? I was tryng to get one of them for the longest time. The guy I was ordering from just never got them in.....

Like you said, tiny reclusive little guys but the every once in a while you see them is worth it.

Trop got them in mid-December, they were very reasonable.
We only see the little guy about once a week, if that, but he is a pretty fish.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
No we keep this tank very basic. We pulled all the sponges and bioballs in the back, in the left chamber we have filter floss that gets pulled out weekly when we do water changes (about 1-2g a week), the next chamber has carbon and chemi-pure elite and then the return pump. We also added an airstone to the tank a while ago when we were having some issues with some fish. The old return pump had a broken impeller (we did not realize it) and therefore we were not getting enough oxygen in the tank. The airstone solved that problem and as a nice side effect, it gets rid of the scum layer that tends to sit on the top of the water in nanos.

We were talking about our tanks and our corals and what corals were the oldest ones we had and they all resided in our 12g. We bought this tank in November 2008 and added some corals right away, they made it through a tank crash and two moves and are still going strong.

I would love to get a skimmer for this tank but the only one I heard was anygood was a skimmer made by a company that went out of business (forget the name) so finding them is near impossible. We just keep corals and fish in here that are very low bioload and stick with the weekly water changes. Do we get some algae in here? Absolutely. Do we keep any SPS? Nope. The corals are a fix of favias, dendros, yumas, ricordias, and trumpets so they are relatively easy to keep.

I will get some pics up after we clean the tank a bit.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I think you're referring to the Sapphire skimmers like the one in this link.

I have one for my 24g nano that I bought from Olivier and never setup yet. Was planning to do a Seahorse tank but never got it setup cause I didn't have a chiller. Skimmer fits right in there and you can close the lid and never even know it's there.

If you could find one for the 12g, I'd say grab it.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
That is exactly the one I am thinking of, I have seen them floating around for the larger nanos, but none for the 12g.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Some updated photos, yes the glass is dirty but it was the best I could do.

Mini Dendro:
DSC_1989.jpg

Sexy shrimp in some of our algae:
DSC_1992.jpg

Our wild caught clowns:
DSC_1994.jpg

DSC_2001.jpg

DSC_2009.jpg

Dendro:
DSC_2013.jpg

Trumpet:
DSC_2014.jpg

Christmas Favia:
DSC_2015.jpg

Anem shrimp on favia:
DSC_2022.jpg

Favia:
DSC_2026.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
New tiny goby:
DSC_2023.jpg

Sexy Shrimp:
DSC_2028.jpg

Green banded:
DSC_2030.jpg

Another tiny goby:
DSC_2031.jpg

Flaming prawn goby, I swear that blurry red thing in the middle of the tank is the upper fin, best shot I could get of this and anyone who has owned one will nod their head:
DSC_2034.jpg

howze01

NJRC Member
So YOU got that cool little Japanese nano goby from DD? That was a tempting little guy! I haven't seen my Flaming Prawwn Goby yet. I'm starting tot think he's not in there...

Actually. . . He found 3 of them at Greg's yesterday. . . And brought all three of them home (sorry). They are very cute.

howze01

NJRC Member
Man, I wish I was closer to Greg's.....

I've seen them up on DD twice recently and they were so tempting. Very cool fish!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Updated pics time:
Here are two more shots of the akimani gobies. This guy was in a real tough spot to get a picture but I had to try. You can see the cool marking on him:
DSC_2038.jpg

DSC_2042.jpg

We had a flaming prawn goby sighting and were able to grab the camera. Like bigfoot, these pics are always blurry but much better than the last ones I took:
DSC_2047.jpg

DSC_2059.jpg

DSC_2066.jpg

Our pair of yashas:
DSC_2091.jpg

DSC_2102.jpg

Green banded goby:
DSC_2099.jpg

For you coral folk our little yuma:
DSC_2103.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Time for the newest addition and probably one of the favorite things in my tank atm.
DSC_2070.jpg

DSC_2083.jpg

Defending his favia:
DSC_2092.jpg

DSC_2094.jpg

DSC_2095.jpg

DSC_2097.jpg

howze01

NJRC Member
That shrimp is freekin awesome!!! Is it wrong that of all 3 of your tanks I'm most jealous of your 12g biocube?

Soon enough I think that may change though....