• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

12 gallon JBJ

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Olivier was up yesterday and we spent more time looking at the 12g then the other two tanks. The 12g really is an awesome tank, I set this tank up in November 2008 and it has been a solid tank since. The live rock was all live rock (we got it before real rock) and the life on it is amazing. We have many feather dusters, sponges, mini scallops and cleaner clams, some bristle worms and of course some turf algae. The fish are doing great and we will be moving the clowns out of here into our 45g soon.

Gorgeous photos! You have everything I want, I'm jealous. I miss my flaming prawn gobies so much. I really want to try an amikami, but the only place I've seen them is DD and I'm not ready to pay $99 for a fish people are finding for around $20. And the bumble bees shrimp... and the anemone shrimp...

Yeah, jealous. Good job, and great pics!

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree. Those are some fantastic selections Mike and Nikki. The shrimps are super cool looking. Really liked the new yuma too... great colors!

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Gorgeous photos! You have everything I want, I'm jealous. I miss my flaming prawn gobies so much. I really want to try an amikami, but the only place I've seen them is DD and I'm not ready to pay $99 for a fish people are finding for around $20. And the bumble bees shrimp... and the anemone shrimp...

Yeah, jealous. Good job, and great pics!

Thank you for the compliments. We got our amikami from Greg at Reef to Reptiles and he has them priced way way lower than DD. The flaming prawn came from Trop but I know they have not had them in a while.

my fiancee and i have pretty much only kept nano tanks up until this point due to size limits of our apartment and not owning a house yet. I recently purchased the jbj 12 gallon and it is really an amazing tank. I would highly recommend it, you can pretty much do anything but sps and corals.

I currently have

mated pair black and white clowns
orchid dottback
mated pair cleaner shrimp
frogspawn 2 heads
duncan 2 heads
ricordia
5 zoa polyps
3 feather dusters

tank looks amazing and the water parameters are excellent.

Would recommend looking at petstore.com they have the tank with stand for under $200
holly molly :) in regarding what is in RED color

I'm try to get a 8 gallon cube due to inspirating your nano in your bedroom. I need your help in setting up :) how big is your nano in your bedroom? I LOVE THAT TANK.

Olivier, the 12g jbj is the nano in our bedroom. It has been our nightlight since mike bought it in November 2008, at which point we were newly engaged :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Someone asked for a FTS so here it is:
DSC_2285.jpg

Closer up on the front:
DSC_2286.jpg

Our hungry hungry dendro:
DSC_2289.jpg

New little guy which is the reason we can't break this tank down, too many small fun gobies:
DSC_2291.jpg

We haven't updated this thread in about 5 weeks, so it is time for an update.
About a month ago, we brought him a blasto in very bad snap at the request of an LFS that asked us if we would try to save it. Unfortunately, no sooner did we put it in our tank than the shrimp started going for it, eating the flesh off of the skeleton. The clown cleaner started, and the sexy shrimp followed. The blasto was nothing but a skeleton in 24 hours, unfortunately. introducing an unhealthy coral had an effect we were not anticipating: it taught our shrimp that coral could be food. The sexy shrimp then joined the clown cleaner in picking at the favias and trumpets. Fast forward two weeks, and we had lost the grey and pink favia colony completely, our war coral looks awful, and our trumpet has lost many heads. Ugh.
So, last week, we ripped the tank apart, moved the shrimp (6 sexys, a clown cleaner and a bumblebee) into a 2.5 g holding tank with live rock, and assessed the coral situation. It isn't pretty. The corals have 20-40% tissue loss, depending on the piece. They are recovering, but I think I am looking at atleast a month before they can go back in, and I will be very cautious. Those are many of our first corals, and I don't want to lose them.

In the interim, we have also moved our red linkia into this tank about a month ago (we needed to treat the 45 cube for red bugs). He did not do well initially, dropped an arm and had tissue loss on a second, but a new arm is starting to grow in, and his other 4 arms look perfect now. Once the 210 is set up, he will be moving into the big tank. the Bali clowns have also been moved, they have taken up residence in the 45g, where they have been for about a month and are doing well.

More bad news: we are down several gobies. The pair of yashas are doing well, the magnificent is magnificent, and I saw the gold stripe and the flaming prawn yesterday. However, that appears to be it. The others have been missing in action for at least 2 weeks, which stinks.

Well, the last update to this tank was a month ago, so it is time.

The good news: the gobies are doing well. The magnificent is magnificent, the yasha pair is very cool to watch, the gold stripe and the trimma look great. Also on a happy note, the red linkia's new leg is coming in nicely. I am very happy that he has done ok in this tank, although I will be even happier when I can get him into a big tank with lots of rock for him to graze on. Linkias do not belong in small tanks.

The bad news: the coral still has not fully recovered from the damage done by the shrimp. The trumpet, which we have had since 2008 and love, looks terrible. Even though the shrimp have been out for a month, it still isn't fully
puffed out, and we still seem to be losing tissue. About half of it is dead, which really really stinks.
The favias are looking better, they still have not recovered completely, but they will get there.
We are struggling a bit with algae in this tank, it and the 45g have bubble algae. I have been manually removing it, and I definitely am due for another algae removal session. That said, it is recovering from the shrimp - coral disaster, so we are moving in the right direction.

The shrimp are still in residence in a 2g devoted just to them, I want to wait for full recovery before I put them back into the 12g, although I have to admit that having a fourth tank up and running is not making me happy. Hopefully it won't be too much longer!

I'll see if I can get mike to take some new photos this week.

Tank looks great sin the last picture. Sorry about the bad luck.. I think it's part of the game sometimes.. lol

I posted a reply to your welcome.. check out stevesleds for options on LED. I got mine from nano tuners which is gone now.

I LOVE the dendro. I really want one in the worst way.. I'm going to have to get some pics up of my 12.. I think at some point it will become a QT tank, but for now it's all I have for salt.

It has (once again) been a while since we updated this thread. We finally decided to upgrade this tank, we bought a JBJ 12g LED nano.
We set up the new 12g last night. It has 8 LEDs.
We relocated the live rock from the old 12 g, and all of the live stock, into this tank. I did use a new live sand bed.
The current inhabitants are:
1 magnificent goby
1 trimma goby
2 green banded gobies
mated pair of yasha gobies
petersons anemone shrimp
bumblebee shrimp
pom pom crab
pair of candy pistol shrimp.

I moved our favias, Rics, and other corals into the new 12g (in the shade as much as possible); the switch over is from power compacts to LEDs, so I have to think about how I am going to manage this transition. The frag tank in the basement should be arriving today, so I may move the corals from the 12 into the frag tank, and let them get accustomed to t5 lighting, and then transition them either into the big tank or back into the 12g from there. I do plan to move some of our corals that did well under LEDs in the 57g into this tank in the interim.

I will try to convince Mike to take some photos tonight ;)

So the new JBJ has been running for three weeks, and I am pleased to report that the tank is doing very well.
I was worried the Favias would be shocked by the transition from PC to LED, but the corals are all doing well.
We almost lost our dendro this summer; it started melting on us. After the tank change, the dendro is recovering: what was exposed skeleton is now covered with dozens of tiny new heads. Mike promised to take a photo and post it.
I cut a frag of our purple stylo, and put the frag in this tank last night. I am looking forward to seeing how it does.
the fish and inverts are doing well, and I am enjoying the "shimmer" from the LEDs.

I have one that was gifted to me and Have no idea what to do with it. Would it be worth setting it up as a quarantine tank or is it too much of a waste to do that with it?. Maybe a frag system?

I have one that was gifted to me and Have no idea what to do with it. Would it be worth setting it up as a quarantine tank or is it too much of a waste to do that with it?. Maybe a frag system?

To be perfectly honest, I love this little tank. There are plenty of LPS that can be kept successfully if you have the PC lighting version, and so far, I am getting good color out of the LED version. I really can't speak to it as a frag tank, I have not had it long enough. We have small gobies in it, fish that would get lost in a larger tank, as well as "nano" sized inverts like our pom Pom crab. You could certainly try it as a frag tank, if you have the LED version.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
A FTS with the LEDs
DSC_2597.jpg

Linkia Star and yes that limb is regrowing:
DSC_2598.jpg

So here are some shots of the dendro that grew amazingly, almost died off, and is now sprouting a bunch of tiny heads:
DSC_2604.jpg

DSC_2605.jpg

DSC_2599.jpg

Terrible pic, but my awesome goby:
DSC_2607.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Come on I will have my 210 and 80g frag tank up and going for swap stuff.

We had to break this tank down on the eve of Sandy's arrival; from previous experience, we were worried that if we did not break the tank down, we would have trouble keeping it warm enough if/when we lost power.
So, the day of Sandy, the Candy Basslet and the Magnificent Goby relocated to the 65g tank that is plumed into the big system in the basement, and the trimma gobies, the green banded goby, and the inverts were relocated to the frag tank along with the yasha pair. We moved the corals from the 12g into the frag tank.
During Sandy, we lost power for three days, and we chose to act on the assumption that the sand bed had gone bad, needed to be replaced. We drained the tank, and put the live rock into the sump of our big system to keep it "live".
We set the tank back up today, with a new sand bed and and rock from the main system. We are hoping to add the Candy Basslet and the Magnificent Goby back to the 12g again in the near future. The trimma goby and the green banded will remain in the frag tank, and the yasha gobies will remain in the main tank. The red linkia is in the main system, and it will stay there.
Cross your fingers that the re-build of the 12g goes well!