• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

180g In-Wall Reef

paintballe48 said:
The higher color temperature you go the slower the corals will grow but it will increase your coloration in your coral, you could run 6500 bulbs and see a ton of growth with ugly brown dark colors, where as you can run 20k's and see awsome coloration but much much slower growth, Imo 14k's are my favorite for the blue tint they give to the tank and also its a good midpoint between growth and coloration. 12k's should be fine though and you will get a nice glowy blue effect out of it, alot of it comes down on personal opinion so go by what you like ;D

thanks for the advice, my concern is that the Reeflux 12k is sooooo much less brighter than the outer orbit 10k HQI bulbs

FWIW, I have always run 10 K Ushios. And I liked them very much. In January or so, I swapped them for 15 K XMs and I am very happy with the results, I still get good growth and my colors are much better. There is a huge difference in the look of the overall tank, it took some getting used to, but the coral responce was worth it.

thanks for the feedback, i just feel like that 12k bulb isnt working the way it should, it just doesnt seem bright enough compared to the 10k's, i dont know. i will try to post some pics soon to show what i mean.

12k's are going to be more blue than the white.. and most 12k bulbs have a break in period around 100hrs where they will look a little dull

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Patriot76 said:
thanks for the feedback, i just feel like that 12k bulb isn't working the way it should, it just doesn't seem bright enough compared to the 10k's, i dont know. i will try to post some pics soon to show what i mean.
Patriot

You have supplemental T5s on your fixture (I have the same one) if your afraid you won't get the growth replace the actinics with 10K T5s. I run the Reeflux 12Ks on mine and the coral does great.

Bob

DSC07107.jpg

DSC07105.jpg

DSC07100.jpg

DSC07095.jpg

DSC07094.jpg

DSC07087.jpg

DSC07084.jpg

Added 5 Lyretail Anthias yesterday- 1 Male & 4 Females. The Bartelett Anthias are not very happy about. I'll let you know how things work out.

My tank has been algae free for some time now. Had a battle with Bryopsis there for a while, but that is totaly clear now. Last week I started getting some brown dusting along the sand bed, I thought maybe it was due to the new lights, I knew there was not way it could have been diatoms. But it has now turned into Cyano. Only had in a few spots. I vacuumed out as much as i could and did a 45 gallon water change. Any other advice.

Temp 77
Salinity mS 53.3
Ph 8.0
Nitrates 20
Nitrites 0
Calcium 400
Ammonia 0
Phos 0

What type of clown? False Percs? That is hit or miss with hosting in a BTA. Their natural nem is carpet and if they are CB/TR percs, again hit or miss.

True percs you will have a greater chance of hosting. But again, their natural nem is carpet or magnificent (I forget). You only got it Sunday (I know cause I got mine the day before you did). Don't be so impatient. If you want to accelerate the process and it's possible, remove the nem and clowns and force them in close quarters (like a breeder's net). Then you will wish they never hosted once they bite you every time you put hand in tank.

i think my scooter blenny is a goner! i havent seen him all day. i noticed yesterday that he was looking kinda skinny. i think he may have went through the entire pod population in my DT. i added a thing of tiger pods from AO lsat month, not sure if it made a difference. the pods are multipling like crazy in my fuge, but doesnt seem to make a difference as far my DT goes. i wish i could have caugh the scooter blenny and moved him to the fuge for a while.

well my clowns havent either looked at the green bta i added a couple weeks, but they have started hosting some green hairy mushrooms, which is still pretty cool i guess.

its offical, no more scooter blenny. first casualty of the tank (except for a couple jumpers)

still battlting some cyano algae, trying a new product, will report progress after a week or so