• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

180g In-Wall Reef

cyano all gone, but i have some thin brown algae growing now. looks like diatoms, but i am sure it is not. i think it may be time to change my T5 bulbs.

added a firefish today.

good to hear on the cyano bac front! How did you ever make out btw with the anthias...did they make peace or was it west side story?

all is well with the anthias. my male lyretail still picks on the 4 females, but i think that is normal really- keeping his girls in check.

the purple psuedo is picking at the firefish, which i would expect if they were in a small tank, but i thought they would be able to co-exist in a 180. the psuedo usually stays in one area, hopefully the firefish will learn to respect his area and stay clear of there.

first off...amazing build!!! i love it!! very nice aquascaping, and i love the lil fishroom you have! everything is awesome!!

oh...pseudo's are the devil!!! i have seen a couple in friends tanks(large and small tanks) and they always end up beating someone up. just my .02

great job though!!! looking foward to seeing more!!

Been a while....

DSC09675.jpg

clowns.jpg

ytb.jpg

zoas.jpg

tangs.jpg

ptcu.jpg

purple psuedo has managed to kill my firefish and all my anthias. i wish i could get this fish out of my tank somehow. i dont want to even add any more fish b/c this thing is so nasty. he is picking on my clowns now, but they are actually fighting back.

currently have 2 clown, 3 tangs, and one evil purple psuedo

everything you do inside of an in-wall tank is more difficult because you are working from behind and really cant see what you are doing, plus im a on a step ladder b/c the tank is high up. its just a pain. the price you pay i guess. if i had a regular tank i might try to net him somehow with putting some food in the net or some trick like that, but trying to do so from behind is just about impossible. would need a fish trap, and i am sure my tangs would be in the before the psuedo could have a chance at it, they are much more daring. guess i am stuck with him. wonder if he would mess with a decent sized bluejaw trigger?

I have a bicolor pseudo and thought he had mellowed ... found out that he just had claimed the ENTIRE group of live rock and nobody messed with him. Added a 4 line wrasse who didn't know the rules, and I obviously was wrong he is still evil.

crazy right? smallest fish in the tank, and he runs shop. he is a fat b@stard to, i gotta get a pic of him. all my fish are going on a diet, feedings every other day.

Bill, so sorry to hear about your psycho pseudo. You have GOT to get him out of there somehow in order to enjoy your tank. As much of a pain in the neck as it may be, it'll be worth the effort and headache. I would also recommend "fishing" him out with a super tiny hook. You could also try a fish trap. But as long as he's in there, you'll have nightmares, and won't truly enjoy your tank as you should.

...and your tank is quite beautiful, I should add. :)

Next smallest and oldest(not a coincidence), I cannot believe anyone let me buy him and put him in a nano tank. Well that is why I don't shop there anymore. He has eaten more shrimp then you can find on a all you can eat buffet to boot. ::)

At least I get to see him now he is a beautiful fish.

You should get that little prick out. i would get a clear container and try to feed and fish him out.

i use to have one and i got rid of it about two days later. he killed 1 maroon clown, a watchman goby and 2 bartlett anthias. IN ONE DAY !!!!!!!

BASTARD.......... Im still mad about it! :mad:

i would, but he is actually a bit of recluse. only comes out to eat and messing with other fish. and any find of trap i could set using food with be shredded by my three tangs who are basically pigs with gills. i might try a bottle or something with a small opening that the tangs could not fit into.

Odd.. Mine's a model citizen..

Anyway. Try the bottle trick.

Take like a 1 litre bottle, cut the top 1/3 of the bottle off, flip it so the cap opening is inside the remaining 2/3, drop some food down into the bottom, and weight it down in your tank.

Opening should be small enough for only the small fish to get in, and most likely not back out again. Worked for me to catch a crab hitchiker once.

ok so havent updated in a while, i added a blue throat trigger a couple months back. he has been a model citizen except for the two times he jumped into the overflow. had to install some egg crate on top of the tank.

also added a fire shrimp, i rarely see hime tho. comes out to eat every now and then. no problems between him and the cleaner shrimp tho. they stay on opposite ends of the tank. i really should get another cleaner shrimp, they always seem like to have a partner.

picked up my new phoenix 14k bulbs today and i am very impressed so far. its only been about 30 mins but they are so much brighter than the reeflux 12k bulbs i had previously. i liked the color of the reflux 12k bulbs, but they were just not bright enough for me. i am running my MH's right now without any T5's and i would be content leaving my tank like this! makes me want to start buying corals again. just hope i dont have any algae blooms! my tank is actually algae free right now (knock on wood).

also, i did something today that i still cannot believe i did. while i was at AO i could not resist the temptation and bought an achilles tang. he is a pretty good size, def a large. just about the same size as my other tangs. i rearranged my refugium to accomadate him for a while till he is eating and use to the new water conditions. the fuge is 55g and i had about 25-35lbs of LR in there so i spaced it out and made a big cave for him to hide out in. i had the fuge divided with eggcrate to keep the macro algae from cogging up the powerhead in there and the overflow. i removed a lot of the macro and moved the eggcrate divider all the way over to the opposite end of the tank away from the over flow. i have one powerhead blowing on the macro to keep it circulating. i also added a koralia 4 for more flow inside the fuge, i know my tangs love strong current in my DT, so i wanted to duplicate that in the fuge for the time being. i just finished accimating him and released him into to the fuge with the lights out for the night. i hope i can get him eating soon. this is my favorite of all fish, and my second try at keeping one. the previous try was about 18 year ago and i was 15 and without the knowledge or budget to really have any chance at success. my only fear is how he will be greated by the other tangs. i may set up a divider somehow out of eggcrate in my DT when i transfer him (Will's suggestion), just so the other tangs can use to him visually before he is offically release into general population. i still cannot believe i bought this fish, totally out of character for me.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We have always kept our cleaner shrimp in pairs, they seem much happier that way and they are hermaphoditic so you don't have to worry about sexing them. Ours are pregnant constantly and releasing their eggs into the tank which the fish love. Fire shrimp are the same way and ours become much more active when we have pairs. Our current pair hang out in the front of our tank in plain view which is awesome.

I love the pheonix bulb too, they provide such a nice color. Good luck with the achilles tang, it sounds like you have the setup to keep him in and have done your research.

picked up my new phoenix 14k bulbs today and I am very impressed so far
Glad you are happy with your choice in the end.
Congrats on the tang and good luck....guess that 25% extra off was a good bonus.

mnat said:
We have always kept our cleaner shrimp in pairs, they seem much happier that way and they are hermaphoditic so you don't have to worry about sexing them. Ours are pregnant constantly and releasing their eggs into the tank which the fish love. Fire shrimp are the same way and ours become much more active when we have pairs. Our current pair hang out in the front of our tank in plain view which is awesome.

I love the pheonix bulb too, they provide such a nice color. Good luck with the achilles tang, it sounds like you have the setup to keep him in and have done your research.

thanks! i have always wanted to add an achilles, but was always hesitant b/c of the other tangs. and i never really see any large achilles for sale locally (for a decent price). it was totally out of character to buy this guy the other night, but i figured i would give it a shot. and the 25% off made a big difference in my decision (thanks JRWOHLER).

anyway, he ate some flake food yesterday, and just ate some frozen brine now. i have seen him picking at the macro algae in the fuge. i put in some algae sheet but havent seen him eat any of that yet. id like to get him into the DT in a week or two, just hope my purple tang isnt too much of a bully.