• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

40 Breeder Reef Plan

Well I'm not gonna WC till the tank is cycled and I don't néed the skimmer till then
also so I'll just wait till then guys, I really can't wait I'm so excited.. What other size koralia should I get? People with 75 gal and 90 gal tanks are telling me that they have two k3's and that it's to much!? ???

Flow depends on what you will be keeping. I ran two K3's on a 75 in addition to the return pump from the sump, and didn't feel like it was enough.

Well my first two will be Ricordea's then I'm thinking a hammer or torch and maybe a xenia after that.. then probably acans.. but this is all in a long time, for now do you guys think i need another powerhead though? Or should I wait for the Hammer before thinking of another one?

You can wait non of those corals needs high flow in fact hammers and the like LPS can get a bit shreaded in large flow.

Oh really? I just want to see my ricordea swivel in the flow alot i love watching videos where they zoom em on them and you can see them blow in the water elegantly.. Well guys I'm minutes away from heading out to A&A Aquatics (Teaneck) to get my cheato and sealent to create my Fuge! I'll let you guys know if i see any good fish, etc!

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
just jumping in here...flow also depends on the layout of your tank...I run my tank with a single MP10 at a time...it's a 75gal mixed reef...

Once your rockwork is all set run your current pumps and throw in some food flakes and study their movement, it will show you where your deadspots are, and where the areas of high flow in your tank are as well. With that in mind you can decide if you need more flow.

JME

rod

Good points Rod....BTW I meant you didn't need a huge volume of flow. A SPS system requires more. You can see if by putting the powerhead on one side towards the surface you can create a circular motion on the surface. What you really NEED is gas exchange at the surface and movement for O2. Likely this will be enough to create movement throughout the tank. Later you may want another power head or one that is controllable for a variable flow.

Actually after i just modded my K3 and added my AC110 cheato fuge the flow seems pretty good, sand seems to stir a bit and get on the rocks but i can really do anything about, thinking about maybe re-aqua scaping to make a mountain on one side a TINY island on the other.. not sure if its smart or not though (also i don't want me fish hide 24.7)

I think the way you aquascape is up to you entirely.
I am very happy with my two connected islands one bigger then the other.
Have seen very nice walls too.
Just remember you want to be able to clean the visible glass so if you put a rock too close to the glass cleaning becomes a pain. You want the rock down in the sand not just on top as critters will sometimes burrow under corners of rocks etc. Finally fish will do what they want no matter what you do. :D

JRWOHLER said:
I think the way you aquascape is up to you entirely.
I am very happy with my two connected islands one bigger then the other.
Have seen very nice walls too.
Just remember you want to be able to clean the visible glass so if you put a rock too close to the glass cleaning becomes a pain. You want the rock down in the sand not just on top as critters will sometimes burrow under corners of rocks etc. Finally fish will do what they want no matter what you do. :D

+1 on this. I've had clowns topple entire rock piles on me. They are surprising strong and capable of yanking out key cornerstones alot bigger than they are!

The trick I used was put the mag float on the glass by where you are aquascaping. Keep checking it by moving it around. If it moves easily, and doesn't brush the rock, you are good to go. If you plan any corals that might be on that "edge" near the glass, give yourself an extra inch or two between the mag and the rock.

I also place the rock, secure it, and THEN add the sand. That makes sure the rock is on the glass, not the shifting sands, and also, the sand pileing up around the rocks tends to add a tiny bit more stability to the base.

Just my 2 cents.

Wait you guys are telling me not to have the rock DIRECTLY on the glass? I was just going to build up on the back left but if that's the case i'll have to move an inch or two to the center, more or less..

The bottom glass, not the sides glass. I've let it rest against the back glass before, but I don't like to because if it shifts it can crack the glass if it hits it right.

Well if it was an inch away wouldn't that be even worse? More room for it to tumble and crack? It's an AGA btw if that means anything..

I have seen a lot against the back...but if you have an open side you want room to clean around it. I put down cutting boards on my bottom glass to protect it(plastic not wood obviously). Then the rock followed by the sand.

Well this is gonna be in the left right back of the tank which honestly doesn't matter to me if it gets alittle dirty on the behind because no one will ever see it, get me? I'm gonna go do it now guys, pics will come tonight probably!

I have one side open in my tank the other I can squeeze my head in(sure I look like a goof). The open side I keep clean the other like you said who cares.

Well guys I just did it all, i made a big tower on the left with a path coming down to the middle of the tank and on the right side i have two of my big rocks to form an island.. And a tiny tonga branch in the middle ;D

After the sand clears up i'll take some pics guys..