• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

40 Breeder Reef Plan

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nice stuff, but do you have someone looking after the corals while you're away?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The reason I asked is because it is important for the first few weeks to keep a good eye on new corals. Sometimes they go threw a lot of stress getting to there new home. If they start to recede, you won't know untill it's too late.

Yea I understand you, good thing is I'll be here for 4 more days, then ill only be gone for 4 days so It's only a short trip, know what I mean?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Keep an eye on them. If they are having any problems before you go, someone on here can hold them for you until you get back.

I don't remember if you have a fish in there or not but if someone is feeding it for you while you are gone I got a great idea from someone here use daily pill boxes to put tiny amounts of food for each day. You don't want someone putting a ton of food in not knowing better. Don't forget you will have evaporation over the two weeks too you don't want to have your tank get totally out of wack.

JRWOHLER said:
I don't remember if you have a fish in there or not but if someone is feeding it for you while you are gone I got a great idea from someone here use daily pill boxes to put tiny amounts of food for each day. You don't want someone putting a ton of food in not knowing better. Don't forget you will have evaporation over the two weeks too you don't want to have your tank get totally out of wack.

Pill boxes! That's a great idea! (sorry... had an oooh shiney! moment...)

It's only 4 days buddy and I can't do much about evap, no one will be around.. Btw, no theres no fish, only what you see in the pics..

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The tank finished cycling ??? what are the water parameters and temp? and I forget are you using RO/DI?

OK no fish is good ... I would try to use the bio spira as few people suggested.
Also would try to cover the tank as much as possible.

Dove andare?
Buon Viaggio!!

So guys I'm alittle scared.. I added Dr. Tims when i left and i got back yesterday, checked params and they were pretty nuts.. Ammon was 1.0, nitrite was .1, nitrate was like 12.5-2.5, did a 5gal WC last night bc i was scared.. Here's the readings from today

amm 1.0 (i think)
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I'm not understanding why my ammonia never wants to go down!? Is it because of those corals? The corals are looking amazing, just today the xenia looked alittle unhappy due to the unwanting water change I bet.. I just did another 5gal w/c a few hours ago.. Any ideas on what im doing wrong guys?!

Welcome back. :)

Some questions...where did you get the live rock and how did it come to you?
I would strongly suggest getting a turkey baster and blowind the rock with it ... will knock free some crud when you do the water change?
If you have not added try adding some biro spira or however you spell it would give that a shot.
You are doing the right thing with the water changes...are you using RODI water I forget..and what are you feeding the tank?

Dr. Tim's was suppose to be just like biospira but i guess not?
Regular tap water but with API Heavy Dechlorinator (1 drop per gallon! LOL!) and feeding the tank nothing but light, 8hrs day, then 16hr cheato fuge light.. im running tests right now on my water, the one from tap is comming up with 5.0 Ammon in the first 5 mins! The one with water from my fridge (cold, clean water) is fully .0ppm.. and then third is a test tube with the tap water with the declor.. still waiting for it to finish but seems low.. we'll see in 10mins

It could be that your rocks were not correctly cured or you had a major die off....get a RO/DI..will hate me now but thank me eventually.

Dr Tims is for salt water?  Just askin...you are doing the right thing with the water changes but get the turkey baster will blow a lot of junk into the water column that you can siphon out.

The rocks cost me $7/LBs from LFS! Lmao!

I don't have the money for a RO/DI =//

Yea its for SW only (or atleast the one i got)

What water column? I don't have a sump if you didn't know.. I do have a skimmer running and it seems to be pulling some stuff out little by little..

So here's the tests..

Tap water (naked) - 6.0ppm
Fridge filter water (cold, filtered) - 0.0ppm
Tap water (one drop of Declor (in about a tiny tiny cup(size of three tea spoons) so the strength must have been x1000)) - 0.0ppm.. I just added like 30drops to the tank also to see what happens.. U might be right about the die off, i just had blowning off the rocks, bc it never helps! The sand just floats and settles on another rock! =/

Well as far as the live rock goes I don't know exactly the problem...you have organics it seems creating ammonia ..I would guess it is in the rocks. Don't blow the sand around but if you have decomposing matter in the rocks it may look like sand ..sorta....when you baste the rocks. Keep water changes going until you get it under control don't get fish.

Find a way to use RODI water even if you have to spend 50C at the LFS to buy it, and put a RODI unit on your Xmas list.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
With the amount of rock you have it might take a bit longer for the tank to cycle You might of tested at a spike.. just my TC

Looks like the Amm went down today.. seems to be at .25 if i'm correct.. no nitri or a's are all.. Good signs.. Skipped the WC today.. well see tomorrow's params then if need a WC..