• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

40g mixed reef

I have a Chinese 120w bridgelux fixture. Seems to be growing most of the coral at a pretty good rate. the amount of polyps on the zoas has probably doubled since I got them about a month and a half ago.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Great, How's the color of your coral.. I have 2 120W Chinese fixtures myself but I'm not sure If I will use them. I hear so much good and bad that I'm not sure yet what I will do, What I do know is that my metal halide fixtures provide a beautiful beautiful light And we all know that they will grow coral beautifully. the Only bad point big big electrical bills!!!

time for an update. i got a new midas blenny, blasto, and green BTA. things seem to moving along nicely and my algae problem has been over for about a month now. you can see the growth im getting from the light by looking at the pictures from about a month ago. this is my first reef so im not sure if my corals are growing at a good rate or not.
IMG_0733.jpgIMG_0730.jpgzoas2.jpgfts.jpgzoas.jpgtorch.jpgblasto.jpgbta.jpg

Nice I just saw ur update on thereeftank forum in the 40 breeder club thread. I'm really liking the looks of the midas blenny. Never thought about one till now.

Nice I just saw ur update on thereeftank forum in the 40 breeder club thread. I'm really liking the looks of the midas blenny. Never thought about one till now.
I love the midas, he's easily my favorite fish in the tank. They're a nice fish that gets fairly large and has a cool swimming pattern. They can also spend their whole life in a 40b without any problems. He is more of an open swimmer then my lawnmower blenny also. I would recommend one for sure if you're thinking about it

its been a while since i updated this thread. i got a second light. i now have 2 120w chinese fixtures. the new one is dimmable. some of my rockwork started to fall apart because i used those white zip ties and epoxy. so the aquascape is a little different. i got a bunch of new corals. one of the nicest is the red and green blasto i got from elos. i got a few nice acros from pacific east aquaculture, even though the tricolor one i got just turned an ugly green. im getting a lot of good growth on the sps. the montiporas are doing well. i think i have a little to much flow for some of my lps and softies but they're still looking healthy. i just got the gonipora today and its still getting used to its new spot.
fts.jpgblastoo.jpgstlyo.jpgzoos.jpgmontis.jpggonipora.jpgacros.jpgmonti.jpgblasto2.jpgtorch.jpgnem.jpg

Attachments

• blasto.jpg
    blasto.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Give the tricolor time. It may stay that way for months and months until it feels water quality is where it should be and get color back.

The tank looks real good. I'm getting ready to start a 40 breeder myself. What is your maintenance routine for your tank?

Give the tricolor time. It may stay that way for months and months until it feels water quality is where it should be and get color back.
oh cool, i didn't know acros do that. thanks, i hope it changes back eventually

The tank looks real good. I'm getting ready to start a 40 breeder myself. What is your maintenance routine for your tank?
i've been getting lazier with my maintenance but i try to do a weekly water change of about 4 gallons. ill siphon out the detritus and use a turkey baster to get stuff out of the rocks then replace with freshly mixed rodi. i try clean the skimmer every week or two weeks. i try to change the filter sock every couple of days. im supposed to take apart the sump and clean all the pumps and stuff every three months but i've only done that once so far and ive had my tank up for about 11 months. i wanted to do that this summer but you get busy...

tanks been doing pretty good, it turned 1 on sept. 1st. finally starting to look like a reef. i have close to 30 pieces of coral ive acquired over the past year. since my last update i probably took about 8 lbs of LR out of the DT and put it in the sump because it was crowding the tank. i had a small outbreak of algae after i went on vacation, but its gone now. i got some darth maul zoas (i think) from ACC as well as one of their rose anemones. one pic is of when i first got the rose nem and the other is after it has acclimated. i have a few other boring additions like pom pom xenia and GSP. im happy the pom pom has been alive for about a month now which is longer than my last frag lasted. blastos seem to be growing the fastest, SPS is growing pretty fast as well.
if anyone has any idea of how i can easily remove a kenya tree from the rockwork, im all ears. i moved the main colony a few weeks ago but i couldn't get everything off the LR and it has come back of course. its now starting to crowd a zoa frag im trying to grow out. im not in the mood to edit the white balance on the pictures. i cant seem to figure out the pictures this time, oh well.
IMG_0195.jpgIMG_0193.jpgIMG_0192.jpgIMG_0191.jpgIMG_0190.jpgIMG_0189.jpgIMG_0188.jpgIMG_0187.jpgIMG_0186.jpgIMG_0185.jpgIMG_0184.jpgIMG_0183.jpgIMG_0180.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0197.jpg
    IMG_0197.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 39

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Looking very nice. Kenya tree is tough to get rid of, I have never had it but I know it can come back with a vengance.