• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Absolutely Fish - Clifton, NJ

I go to this place at least once a week. They have lots of stock, both salt and fresh as well as tanks, equipment, etc. The staff is young and knowledgable and helpful.

too bad they're absolutely not cheap. but they do have nice live stock and corals, but you do get what you pay for... and they have a phenominal selection, and they have such a huge selection of equipment and dry good, but fortunately for aquatic obsessions, ab fish is just way too far from my house for a casual visit...

its cool to look at , but they sell everything for almost double what everyone else does. they wanted 140 bucks for a 50lb bucket of salt that is 80 everywhere else. I was there earlier this week. its actually funny how far marked up the prices are..

Prices can be all over the place - a $23 heater sells for $18, so who knows. But ditto on the selection and staff ... yeah, I go there about 3 times a week! 8 min from my house!

FYI, below ... http://www.bluezooradio.com/

bluezoo.jpg

:)

I never liked the place.. went there 4 times

1) owner tried to sell everything under the sun we didn't need.
2) went there just to return stuff we found we didn't need.. got store credit
3) went there to get some clean up crew with store credit.. guy that was pulling an urchin out just drops the rock the urchin was on in the tank.. landing on another urchin and snails
4) went there to get a fish.. at least 30 clowns in a tank.. must be new shipment.. 2 where getting attacked to death. Finance notifies the guy who was helping us and says it isn't his job and walks away.

They do have a good selection.. prices always seem high. Seems a lot of the workers there don't much care... just my experiences though.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hijinks, these are the types of concerns that you should discuss with a store manager though. Posting here doesn't solve the problem or save fish. You should check in with Pat and see that he knows about your experiences. I know he really cares about the store and its reputation.

It seems like AF has a great following from some dedicated reefers. Not sure what the difference is between the people who really like it and those who don't care quite so much for it.

I can assure you I don't have a fat wallet. It's more to the fact that it's the only decent fish place close to my house, though we just found another nearby. The selction sucks, but the prices are ok and they have good selection of dry goods. Pet Place in Wayne on 23N.

Also, one of the main problems I can see why AF's prices are so high is because they are definitely overstaffed. No matter when I go in there, there is usually 4-5 kids hanging out behind the counter with another few working the floor. I must admit, though, that everyone on the staff has always been helpful and they are all knowledgable about what they are selling (once you can get them away from the counter to help you...)

Sometimes you get what you pay for...

That being said, if prices are outside of what you are willing to pay for a item then shop some where else.

We have always found the saltwater selection to be one of the best around.

Just my $.02. Sorry if this comes across harsh but I second Phyl's response.

it is a tough business and AF is probably one of the better ones stores up north. i have been searching for a decent store in my area and could not find it. so there is a choice: do i go prkwy south to few nice stores or do i stay local and have it right at home in clifton. they really do own it this area. i do like OGII for their frak tank. it is spectacular for someone who wants to buy it cheap frags. at the same time you can just go to our favorite person "stan the man" and get even better stuff - i have not visited him, but will do in February.

I agree they have the best selection and you get what you pay for. Thats why for some stuff that is where I go.

I too love going into that store and looking around. I don't purchase from them but then again I don't purchase from any LFS unless there's a sale or an emergency. Funny how a lot of people here mention they are in that store quite often. There's something to like. For me living in the north, if I had to purchase a fish i'd do it there and spend a little more than driving down the parkway to one of the other stores. I agree with the person that said something along the lines of if you don't like it don't go.

since i work near AF, i stop in from time to time. i bought a pair of clown fish there about 3 years ago, i pointed out the two i wanted, and i thought he caught the right two. i made the mistake of not checking them once they were in the bag. anyway, i got all the way home and noticed that one of the clowns only had one eye! i drove all the way back, 45 mins each way. i spoke to the manager and he exchanged the fish at no cost obviously, but nothing for my troubles. they do a very nice selection and their fish do appear quite healthy for the most part (beside the occasional missing eye) but i was not very impressed by their staff's courtesy. i worked in a fish store back when i was in high school, i would always ask the customers (as i was catching/bagging their new fish) what size tank they had and what else was in the tank. not that i was ever trying to talk someone out of a purchase, but just to see if i could prevent them from making a mistake that could cost them financially or cost the loss of a good fish. perhaps there may have been a better choice for their tank. now i understand that not everyone is going to ask these kinds of questions, and some people might feel it is none of business anyhow, but the kids working at AF dont seem really care about anything but getting the fish in the bag and out the door. maybe if i had actually asked one of the workers a question or two i might have seen different results. that being said, even if they were the kindest, most knowlegdable workers ever, it really wouldnt make a difference because their prices are outrageous and i live 10 minutes from aquatic obsessions. but i do still stop in AF from time to time when i am bored with work just to look at their nice selection of fish and corals.

I just want to let you know that i went to AF fish today and had a very pleasant expierience. Greg was helping me out and truly a nice guy - answered all my questions and concerns and helped to pick the right items. He was not trying to sale anything i didnt want and i though went above and beyond to help me out. I am not going to comment on pricing, but simply had a nice visit where someone helped person in need.