• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Absolutely Fish - Clifton, NJ

im usually not one to talk down on a store, but you really gotta take your business elsewhere. The prices are way way way overpriced, i know judging by the beautifuly tanks in the store he gotta have some serious costs running the place. if your gonna buy something, stick to the corals, the fish are marked up so much that would could order online and it would come out to be cheaper and atleast online you are guaranteed alive. Absolutely fish has no return policy if the fish dies your screwed out of your 20 bucks you paid for your blue reef chromis. The people there are nice, the store is nice too look at, but its not even close for members to buy fish. i would buy at your own rish.

crazinezz978 said:
If i had the money, this is the only place i would go to...

...$250 for a 5" Clarkii clown pair, it was beautifull...

Tropiquarium has a gorgeous 4" Clarkii female with smaller male pair that is about $140 or so plus your NJRC discount.

AF is just absurdly expensive.

jonathan. said:
crazinezz978 said:
If i had the money, this is the only place i would go to...

...$250 for a 5" Clarkii clown pair, it was beautifull...

Tropiquarium has a gorgeous 4" Clarkii female with smaller male pair that is about $140 or so plus your NJRC discount.

AF is just absurdly expensive.

I know this topic is old but its true. AF has some beautiful stock but their stuff is ABSURDLY overpriced. I think a Rena Filstar XP3 was over a hundred bucks more than it would be at petco (which is actually ok to shop at for things like that). I dont know how they stay in business with the prices they charge.

Some things are marked up there yes, but they have been competitive lately, at least from what Im noticing. I mean they did have that 3500 angel in there recently, but most clowns firefish, hawks gobies cleaner shrimps have been pretty dead on with other LFS. I check Reef Encounter multiple times weekly, and the Fish Tank maybe once a week. I mostly go to AF for their cheapie frag tanks. I found a sick 13 head acan in there all bleached out for 25!. This is it now

+1 on their reasonable pricing of late - it is much better than in the past and in many cases better than other vendors from here.They are setting up huge rimless tank. something to see it to belive it. I bought 5x3 acro today for $99. huge colony. if you like corals - talk to Glen. nice guy and will try to help you out. Thursday and Friday - best days to visit - Friday 6pm is my time :)

Audi0s said:
Some things are marked up there yes, but they have been competitive lately, at least from what Im noticing. I mean they did have that 3500 angel in there recently, but most clowns firefish, hawks gobies cleaner shrimps have been pretty dead on with other LFS. I check Reef Encounter multiple times weekly, and the Fish Tank maybe once a week. I mostly go to AF for their cheapie frag tanks. I found a sick 13 head acan in there all bleached out for 25!. This is it now

I do know much about stores but AF appears arrogant at times- Pat once stated to me that he doesn't care where you buy your tank sooner or later your going to go to him. I believe they price to the local market having some affluent clients from NNJ. They appear to gravitate towards certain clients and are definitely overstaff but this is a good thing! you never really wait and they have creative marketing ideas. they appear honest and if you ask their opinion they are consistent with their answers. i go their a few times and their selection if very nice!

they definitely mark up their prices. i went there this past week and a flame angel was 80 compared to the norm 60 bucks. do they just flat out say screw the retail prices? I wish i noticed a cheapo frag like Audi0s. rafal mentioned their new tank, it's definitely a BEAUTIFUL TANK. but just like everything else in there. whatever is going in there isn't coming out for cheap.

are you trying to tell me that OTHER stores or NJReefers Vendors do not gravitate towards certain clients? :eek: :eek: :eek:

RFD4 said:
I do know much about stores but AF appears arrogant at times- Pat once stated to me that he doesn't care where you buy your tank sooner or later your going to go to him. I believe they price to the local market having some affluent clients from NNJ. They appear to gravitate towards certain clients and are definitely overstaff but this is a good thing! you never really wait and they have creative marketing ideas. they appear honest and if you ask their opinion they are consistent with their answers. i go their a few times and their selection if very nice!

I stopped going to AF a while ago. I actually would ONLY go there for some part that I need that no one else would carry AF usually has it. Absolutely Absurd price but if I want it right then and there then they have it. I never buy live stock from there.

Glen and most other people who work there are good 2 deal with i buy a lot of frags from the 14.99 and 24.99 frag tanks if u go when they stock it u can get some SUPER NICE frags cheap also its the only store that has given me free stuff a mantis a urchin 2 name a few they do have a lot of customers who are doc.lawyers so thats why they can get away with some of there prices u or me cant or wouldnt pay them prices but people who have money spend it with them again i have no problems with them they treat me great and i am not a big spender$$$$$$$$

i was there last night to meet juice44 and wow, they have some beautiful corals. I havent been to a store anywhere that has the variety that they do. Actually I dont think their corals are that badly priced in fact I think they are comparable to better than trop and you do get to choose from 24, 14, and 5 dollar frags. You just have to find the right deal.

Has anyone seen that rimless overflow 170 gallon tank yet? Pretty cool!

Again, if you really nitpick there you can get a few things for ok prices. I wouldnt ever consider buying filters, skimmers, or other prominant hard goods from them, its just ridiculous what they charge. But hey, if you make 200K and up a year, those prices are great! lol.

No Rafal
, once your in your in, the problem with most vendors and LFS is that unless you drop a load of money you are unnoticed. It is the nature of the beast in all retail stores. Unfortunate but true, unless you spend money or make a stink you are just another face- That is why I deal with the hobbyist form NJ Reefers.:)

are you trying to tell me that OTHER stores or NJReefers Vendors do not gravitate towards certain clients?

Quote from: RFD4 on October 20, 2009, 08:56:26 PM

I dont spend big money and I dont get the feeling that I am unnoticed even though I am a short ;D

There are a lot of stores you can visit, vendors from NJ Reefs and if you feel like you get better deal somewhere else - what can i say? it is free country and you can spend your money anywhere you want.

But I will defend the place that has one of the best coral collection in NJ and their prices are better than some of the vendors from here. just take a look how clean their tanks are: no hair algaes, no bubble algaes, no cyano infestations, employees on the move constantly.

At the end of the day - you can spend your money anywhere you want, but this store is not getting a fair shake from some people on here for whatever reason.

RFD4 said:
No Rafal
, once your in your in, the problem with most vendors and LFS is that unless you drop a load of money you are unnoticed. It is the nature of the beast in all retail stores. Unfortunate but true, unless you spend money or make a stink you are just another face- That is why I deal with the hobbyist form NJ Reefers.:)

are you trying to tell me that OTHER stores or NJReefers Vendors do not gravitate towards certain clients?

Quote from: RFD4 on October 20, 2009, 08:56:26 PM

I dont spend a lot of money there and like in said ONLY STORE TO GIVE ME FREE STUFF and what pat means is people go there for info 2 look ect even if u dont buy from him he still treats u very good i talk to him evey once in a while he is a good guy and and a great store tanks are spotless i was there when they were starting to stock the tank

Look height and everything else aside - The store is nice- the selection great - the prices high- the staff can be nice if they want to- are they the best store in NNJ probably- my opinions are based on my perception from my experience. I was never treated like crap but If another store opened with the same selection and better prices I would go there- until then I will meet anyone there on Sunday to say hello around 1:00 ish- I'll be wearing the Outerbanks tee

RFD