• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae scrubber who uses one and why

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Question can I use the outflow from my UV light as water source
Probably not, but that's depending on the build, it would be easier overall to have a second, smaller pump for the ATS

Personally, I've never like chaeto. Its messy and can be very finicky at times.....(to me atleast)

With an ATS, your growing turf algae which is more straightforward. Just light, scrape and repeat

Since we are on the topic of scrubbers and refugiums. I've been thinking lately about how much my refugium is actually doing. My total water volume is around 220 to 230 gallons. My refugium is 10" × 15" and about 8" deep. It being so small I wonder if it's worth having its growing cheato, hair algae and cyanobacteria slowly. My nitrates are between 10 and 25 and phosphates are .02. Thinking about pulling it all out and putting some bio media in there and bumping up my auto water changes from 1 gallon a day to 2 gallons a day and seeing what happens. What do you guys think.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I
Since we are on the topic of scrubbers and refugiums. I've been thinking lately about how much my refugium is actually doing. My total water volume is around 220 to 230 gallons. My refugium is 10" × 15" and about 8" deep. It being so small I wonder if it's worth having its growing cheato, hair algae and cyanobacteria slowly. My nitrates are between 10 and 25 and phosphates are .02. Thinking about pulling it all out and putting some bio media in there and bumping up my auto water changes from 1 gallon a day to 2 gallons a day and seeing what happens. What do you guys think.
would probably keep it going and even though I am building a scrubber myself, when my parts finally show up. I’m gonna keep my refugium going.
it serves more purpose then just a spot to grow cheato. I have deep sand in mine and the cheato is a pod hotel.
As far as auto water changes and 1 or 2 gallons a day that’s another subject all together. Some here know I am dead set against auto water changes. I feel it’s more beneficial to take (bad) water out in a lump some and replace the same way. I know the logic is that if you change a little every day it’s more stable bla, bla, bla.
when I do a water change it forces me to get deep into tank maintenance stir up crap remove gunk if I didn’t do it this way my maintenance would drop off and I’m sure I would eventually be battling something bad. This is only one mans opinion of course.

I

would probably keep it going and even though I am building a scrubber myself, when my parts finally show up. I’m gonna keep my refugium going.
it serves more purpose then just a spot to grow cheato. I have deep sand in mine and the cheato is a pod hotel.
As far as auto water changes and 1 or 2 gallons a day that’s another subject all together. Some here know I am dead set against auto water changes. I feel it’s more beneficial to take (bad) water out in a lump some and replace the same way. I know the logic is that if you change a little every day it’s more stable bla, bla, bla.
when I do a water change it forces me to get deep into tank maintenance stir up crap remove gunk if I didn’t do it this way my maintenance would drop off and I’m sure I would eventually be battling something bad. This is only one mans opinion of course.
Well understood on the refugee a question I will order more cheato today from ACC just because I can get it quicker than if I went through Algae Barn

DangerDave

NJRC Member
@Paulie 069 This article is a bit dated, but it’s a very good read to help understand scrubbers.

This is the guy begins turbo aquatics, I followed along well over a decade ago (Jeez maybe 16/16 years) as he discussed this on RC, to build my first scrubber.

Tha
@Paulie 069 This article is a bit dated, but it’s a very good read to help understand scrubbers.

This is the guy begins turbo aquatics, I followed along well over a decade ago (Jeez maybe 16/16 years) as he discussed this on RC, to build my first scrubber.

Thank you brother I’ll watch it tomorrow

I read most of it so far and very helpful and shines light on how it works
Thank you for this link

I read most of it so far and very helpful and shines light on how it works
Thank you for this link
So I took some pics of my sump and refugium so u all can see what I got going on,, especially inside my refugium. You will notice all the turf like green hair algae along the sides of the chamber and along the back wall you will also notice that I have blockage put up to keep the light out of other chambers and finally you will notice how crappy my cheato is,, Also you will be able to notice I have the hose from the UV light returning into the chamber also it seems to be making the whole thing act like an Algae scrubber almost

Attachments

• 3C290AA6-480B-4359-88DB-9A7496347E1E.jpeg
    3C290AA6-480B-4359-88DB-9A7496347E1E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • BAE75D8B-4FA1-4B66-A6D3-BBD067D37178.jpeg
    BAE75D8B-4FA1-4B66-A6D3-BBD067D37178.jpeg
    863.3 KB · Views: 6
  • BDED762B-540C-4CD1-9857-9E6694DB90B5.jpeg
    BDED762B-540C-4CD1-9857-9E6694DB90B5.jpeg
    763.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 13C3BEC0-764A-444E-8901-2081D03EC2D5.jpeg
    13C3BEC0-764A-444E-8901-2081D03EC2D5.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • 5D09AA9B-EFA5-4960-9693-11579DA8DF41.jpeg
    5D09AA9B-EFA5-4960-9693-11579DA8DF41.jpeg
    974.5 KB · Views: 8
  • A240D529-5C77-4D71-A09C-3916301EB11E.jpeg
    A240D529-5C77-4D71-A09C-3916301EB11E.jpeg
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 914D2F0C-D97B-4D1E-BA27-08174281D1E5.jpeg
    914D2F0C-D97B-4D1E-BA27-08174281D1E5.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 7
So I took some pics of my sump and refugium so u all can see what I got going on,, especially inside my refugium. You will notice all the turf like green hair algae along the sides of the chamber and along the back wall you will also notice that I have blockage put up to keep the light out of other chambers and finally you will notice how crappy my cheato is,, Also you will be able to notice I have the hose from the UV light returning into the chamber also it seems to be making the whole thing act like an Algae scrubber almost
I think I have it figured out to build my own algae scrubber quick question the pump for the water do I put that in the same chamber as my algae scrubber is going to be in or does that water pump go into a different chamber does it matter

I think I have it figured out to build my own algae scrubber quick question the pump for the water do I put that in the same chamber as my algae scrubber is going to be in or does that water pump go into a different chamber does it matter
Doesn't really make a huge difference I'd say