• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae scrubber who uses one and why

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Very Cool. When your all done it would be great if you can post a supplies list. Thank you

Sure, but it’s real basic, you can see everything there. The acrylic is a display box, but it may warp from the lights. They don’t give off much heat so I’m hoping it stays. The best part is you can build what fits your need.

Last edited:

DangerDave

NJRC Member
@Hockeynut Rob, I’m trying to figure out how to mount the leds. My initial plan was to use small squares of the heavy duty Velcro (the type the ezpass is held up with). It would hold tight, and provide the 1/4 or so of spacing to keep the lights off the acrylic. The 3m tape and CA glue doesn’t stick to that white plastic. Even though they’re encased in silicone, and don’t put off much heat, I want to keep the acrylic from bowing. any ideas you have I’d love to hear.

(Anyone plz give me you ideas, I need em!)

dave

07045EE6-978F-4A8A-B4B6-5ED3CC3A5C76.jpeg
C66E0BBB-EDC0-48DF-B2E8-3C55E661A5F7.jpeg

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Thi
@Hockeynut Rob, I’m trying to figure out how to mount the leds. My initial plan was to use small squares of the heavy duty Velcro (the type the ezpass is held up with). It would hold tight, and provide the 1/4 or so of spacing to keep the lights off the acrylic. The 3m tape and CA glue doesn’t stick to that white plastic. Even though they’re encased in silicone, and don’t put off much heat, I want to keep the acrylic from bowing. any ideas you have I’d love to hear.

(Anyone plz give me you ideas, I need em!)

dave

View attachment 28957
View attachment 28958
This double sided foam tape will hold anything and has some thickness so the lights won’t be touching the glass9F8C0D30-7D89-4A63-8A80-9649AEFF62B3.jpeg
They sell it in the Home Depot

Looks like the acrylic case can be drilled. Just pick up a few nylon nuts/bolts and use the supplied mount. Then there is not worry on it falling off. And add some nylon washers for spacers

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Thi

This double sided foam tape will hold anything and has some thickness so the lights won’t be touching the glassView attachment 28961
They sell it in the Home Depot

bro great minds think alike. I snuck out to the fish room during a really lame conference call. I ended up using that exact tape, strips were provided with the lights to put on the back. I cut little squares and stuck it to the hard Velcro. I got what I’m hoping is perfect spacing for heat dissipation.

thanks for the ideas guys, all good ideas. love this place.

dave

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I measured it with my par meter, the screen is getting a little over 100 par on each side. With the edges going down to 80. These lights are cheap. If it’s not I can another another pair. I need to look up the formula of watts per screen size for how much food it can support.

I measured it with my par meter, the screen is getting a little over 100 par on each side. With the edges going down to 80. These lights are cheap. If it’s not I can another another pair. I need to look up the formula of watts per screen size for how much food it can support.
I’m just lost for some reason,, it pisses me off I can’t grab the concept of a algae scrubber I’m looking at these photos and I just don’t get it. And I need to because my cheato is all but dissipated and I don’t wanna deal with a refugium anymore,, things like does that go in your sump or MD , do u need certain amount of space ,, I’ve seen 2 videos and read about them and it’s just not clicking (feel like I’m in school again)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I’m just lost for some reason,, it pisses me off I can’t grab the concept of a algae scrubber I’m looking at these photos and I just don’t get it. And I need to because my cheato is all but dissipated and I don’t wanna deal with a refugium anymore,, things like does that go in your sump or MD , do u need certain amount of space ,, I’ve seen 2 videos and read about them and it’s just not clicking (feel like I’m in school again)
Its simple,

The water flows through the pipe and and down onto the plastic mesh. The lights are then shine'd towards the mesh, (trickled with water) and eventually grows algae. You then scrape and remove, then the process repeats itself. It's the same as adding chaeto to your sump, but it's more efficient IMO

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I ran one for many years that hung over my sump, and was sourced from the overflow from the display tank. It used two 150 equivalent cfl bulbs inside polished clamp on reflectors.

The world is your oyster. you just need water flowing down a roughed up screen with light on both sides.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
@Paulie 069 , like @DangerDave mentioned, you can build one of these anyway you like to fit your tank set up. This is also great if you're on a budget as mentioned, you can use a clip on light and bulb for a light source.

I ran one a while ago, one of the Santa Monica units and when it worked, it worked but to get going it just took forever.

@Paulie 069 , like @DangerDave mentioned, you can build one of these anyway you like to fit your tank set up. This is also great if you're on a budget as mentioned, you can use a clip on light and bulb for a light source.

I ran one a while ago, one of the Santa Monica units and when it worked, it worked but to get going it just took forever.
It sounds simple and I get concept,, the more I keep running it through my head and keep reading this thread it’s becoming less cloudy
Question can I use the outflow from my UV light as water source because as I think about it my problem with my Cheato started because I ran my outflow hose from the UV light into refugium chamber because my cheato was not spinning around, someone suggested that I needed more flow to get it moving. I did that for about 3 weeks,, that’s when my cheato started falling apart after 2 weeks, as it slowly began to shrink in size my refugium started growing large amounts of green hair algae on the back wall n both sides and not the front. It took a little time to figure out why,, then it hit me. I lined the refugium chamber with black plastic panels on the inside of refugium to block light from the other chambers,, and the plastic has a rough surface. So that’s why the algae grew on that and starved the cheato
I mean the walls are blanketed like a golf course with algae that keeps coming back even after I took hose out of there.
And it all hit me after reading all the explanations I got from my njreefer peeps
I’m gonna out the hose back in that chamber tomorrow morning it’s already like an Algae scrubber and I’ll start designing one for my new build and see what happens with one that’s running now
Any feedback on what I’m thinking of my current algae collector at moment. I’ll try n post pics tomorrow