• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae scrubber who uses one and why

I w

As looking around for some plans. But haven't seen much yet. You have something?

Scratch that, that's way to small for my system.
I'll have to see what you come up with for your design.
I came across one that has a stand that attaches to the rim of a tank. Was thinking that might work for me, but now I can't find it.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I’ve been considering this too. But I have a clarisea filter on. Would the scrubber be redundant ? I don’t really buy into the no water change hyper. Just want have a good clean tank

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Scratch that, that's way to small for my system.
I'll have to see what you come up with for your design.
I came across one that has a stand that attaches to the rim of a tank. Was thinking that might work for me, but now I can't find it.
Send me a picture of your sump John and I’ll see what I can come up with. I’m making a couple so maybe I can make one to hang on the sump some how

DangerDave

NJRC Member
@Hockeynut i was looking at threads on reef2reef, and I found a scrubber photo that looks to be a great design if this is going over your sump. If I move forward, this is the designs I’m going to use, just expand to a full sheet of plastic canvas.

C257A97A-E759-410D-B91B-DD4470939482.jpeg

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
@Hockeynut i was looking at threads on reef2reef, and I found a scrubber photo that looks to be a great design if this is going over your sump. If I move forward, this is the designs I’m going to use, just expand to a full sheet of plastic canvas.

View attachment 28478
Yea Dave that’s what I’m building. I was thinking the same. The only difference I want is flex connections so it is easier to remove for maintenance. I dint mean to clean screen I mean to clean whole unit and to be able to get into the sump.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I did this on a previous tank and it worked incredibly well.
Just needed a scraped up piece of plastic mounted in the sump near a light source.

I also did an upflow that I'll look for the links for.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I started making one last night. I used an acrylic box that was made for displaying cereal boxes (who does that?). I need to make a better seal, the corners aren’t fully glued. I’ll probably just silicone it, but if I get to Home Depot by the time I’m done I’ll get the acrylic stuff. It’s a very small leak, but if it works I will have it in a table next to the sump, so leak must go. My only other worry is that it’s only 1/8 thick acrylic, so it may warp. The last one I made had hanging 1/8 splash shields. They warped but I was using 150watt cfl bulbs, and We’ll see.

It’ll fit a full 13x10.5 sheet of plastic canvas.

982C8344-8B9B-4D5A-BA5C-3282DEC7DD49.jpeg

im going to use these 36watt grow light sets, 3 on each side.

00129B78-C894-40A0-B1C7-ED9AB6040577.jpeg

I need to drill in some bulkheads tonight, and I’ll be ready for the lights by Friday.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I started making one last night. I used an acrylic box that was made for displaying cereal boxes (who does that?). I need to make a better seal, the corners aren’t fully glued. I’ll probably just silicone it, but if I get to Home Depot by the time I’m done I’ll get the acrylic stuff. It’s a very small leak, but if it works I will have it in a table next to the sump, so leak must go. My only other worry is that it’s only 1/8 thick acrylic, so it may warp. The last one I made had hanging 1/8 splash shields. They warped but I was using 150watt cfl bulbs, and We’ll see.

It’ll fit a full 13x10.5 sheet of plastic canvas.

View attachment 28786

im going to use these 36watt grow light sets, 3 on each side.

View attachment 28787

I need to drill in some bulkheads tonight, and I’ll be ready for the lights by Friday.
Looks good Dave,I thought about using display boxes also but opted to just buy the acrylic. I was also worried about it warping.
Here’s what I bought. At Lowe’s for 26.00 per sheet it’s 18”x24” need 1-1/2 sheets to build it. image.jpg
its 1/4” thick.
what size bulkheads are you going to use?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
While you're at this stage.
Think that I hate about the scrubber is disconnecting the central pipe and hauling the whole piece ove to the sink.
Might be wirthwhile to find a simple way to hook the screen to the cross pipe so when cleaning time comes, you can just disconnect the screen.

Just a thought.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Think that I hate about the scrubber is disconnecting the central pipe and hauling the whole piece ove to the sink.
Might be wirthwhile to find a simple way to hook the screen to the cross pipe so when cleaning time comes, you can just disconnect the screen.

Just a thought.
Now that’s helpful from a real user.

DangerDave

NJRC Member

Just a thought.

That’s how my last one was. It was a pin in the butt. I’m going to add a union right on the cross bar so I can disconnect at the scrubber and carry over. Plan B (if it too bulky) is nice soft silicone tubing that comes on and off easy, just release the clamp. I have the gfo reactor set up in this manner.

6D5143F7-7BD7-4947-ADDD-89F9C41CE2A6.jpeg

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
That’s how my last one was. It was a pin in the butt. I’m going to add a union right on the cross bar so I can disconnect at the scrubber and carry over. Plan B (if it too bulky) is nice soft silicone tubing that comes on and off easy, just release the clamp. I have the gfo reactor set up in this manner.

View attachment 28805
That silicone hose is great. Soft and easy.

Instead of pulling it of the barb fitting you can use one of these union barb fittings.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
Instead of pulling it of the barb fitting you can use one of these union barb fittings.

I like this idea. It’s the same fitting on my kalk stirrer. How do I get this to attach to the pvc spray bar though? It looks one sided, like it should be glued into something.