• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Algae scrubber who uses one and why

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I've been using a bio-pellet reactor. I've used them in the past with success too, but they do have a limiting factor. Without Nitrates they no longer reduce Phosphates. I feed a lot, and 14 fish eat a lot, but not enough to keep nitrates high enough to keep phosphates a bit lower, my phosphates are at .06, not high by any stretch but when they were .03 things were better. I am now at that point and have been for several weeks now. With that imbalance you can get cyano popping up not horrible though. I just started dosing nitrates but I'm only doing dosing enough to raise my system 1 PPM per day, not sure how fast that is being consumed so I'm not even sure its working yet. I may have to start running GFO again, I really don't want to though. I've been thinking of getting back to running macro and ditching the reactor.
I've looked into the scrubbers and the Algea reactors that are around now, but to be honest they are just way to overpriced to warrant that route.
John I have been thinking of making a couple but even diy there still gonna cost maybe half. You interested I might just build a couple let me know

John I have been thinking of making a couple but even diy there still gonna cost maybe half. You interested I might just build a couple let me know

Shoot me info on the design your thinking of, as long as I can make it fit I'd definitely be interested

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I was looking at those a whole back. And the smaller one as well. No way I'm getting either into my system. Way to tight down there and no space to raise it high enough to allow it to drain
Ahhhh what about one of those up flow in sump type?

Let me look more into the other type you posted. I guess i.could build a small stand next to the sump where my Biopellet reactor is. But it depends on ho much clearance I need to remove the screen and for plumbing. The 200 might be to big for me though

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Let me look more into the other type you posted. I guess i.could build a small stand next to the sump where my Biopellet reactor is. But it depends on ho much clearance I need to remove the screen and for plumbing. The 200 might be to big for me though
I’m sure we could figure one out to fit

I have been considering one of these units for my build. The one thing i don't like about this one and the Icecap is the light spillage people are complaining about. I know you can get light guards for CW200, but for what you pay up front for the unit, another $60 for 2 little pieces of plastic is just criminal. As far as the Icecap unit, Why the hell did they decide to make them in translucent white? Thats just asking for light spillage. This is why I am leaning towards the Sant Monica unit. The unit's light is surrounded by black ABS plastic.

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
I
I have been considering one of these units for my build. The one thing i don't like about this one and the Icecap is the light spillage people are complaining about. I know you can get light guards for CW200, but for what you pay up front for the unit, another $60 for 2 little pieces of plastic is just criminal. As far as the Icecap unit, Why the hell did they decide to make them in translucent white? Thats just asking for light spillage. This is why I am leaning towards the Sant Monica unit. The unit's light is surrounded by black ABS plastic.
I was thinking of building in Guards for light spillage but I think they will hold in to much heat which would just lead to another problem. I really don’t care to much about spillage i have always had light spilling over my fuge on every tank I ever had. it has never really been a problem.

Update : Heres my upflow scrubber from 1 week of use . It works great but the only reason I'm using a commercial one is because I got a great deal on it. Im debating adding another but a diy one because I'm still having nutrient issues

Attachments

• IMG_20200402_163909.jpg
    IMG_20200402_163909.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 8

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Update : Heres my upflow scrubber from 1 week of use . It works great but the only reason I'm using a commercial one is because I got a great deal on it. Im debating adding another but a diy one because I'm still having nutrient issues
Wow that is impressive

Is that the Santa Monica?