• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Annularis popEYE

SOunds like you have experience with FW (cichilds arent the normal beginner fw fish). Is your tank a FO? I think losses do come to even the best of us - and I don't think you should discourage yourself. With *Some* people, it may make sense to stop purchasing anymore fish to just do a check and make sure all the parameters stabilize.

For others - perhaps yourself included, it may be helpful to start a small journal - like where you bought the fish, how you acclimated it, etc. This way, you won't feel hopeless and think you are unable to maintain the fish - when in fact perhaps a simple change in the way you obtain/acclimate the fish may do the trick.

Ive seen plenty of marine fish go - sometimes because of my neophyte experience - but also sometimes because the LFS said "oh yeah - that will work just fine in your tank".

Anyways - best of luck in whatever your decision. I think getting the "other half" to buy-in to the hobby is perhaps one (if not the most) of the most important things.

Thanks for all of the replies.
1. I bought the fish and put him in the tank - then I noticed a slight cloudy eye - it got worst from there. This means - let me be clear - that he already had the cloudy eye - I was stupid - I didn't inspect him closely at the store.
2. I don't want to name the store - that have a great selection of healthy fish - this IMO is just an isolated incident. The fish may have gotten stressed after a while in the store. He was there for at least two weeks or more.
3. I will treat with Maracyn II. Maracyn did nothing.
4. He is now BLIND! He cannot eat and he is trying to scratch the eyes in hopes of vision - sad to see. He is scratching against glass and rocks.

Qustion - Do you folks think I can keep him alive with Selcon in the water as I treat with Maracyn II? I'm thinking he'll digest the Selcon when he drinks.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
May I suggest doubling the dosage on the Maracyn 2.

I don't think adding Selcon to the water will do anything besides ruin your water quality. Selcon is oil based and will mainly just float on the surface inhibiting gas exchange in the tank.

Try tempting him with some live foods or even hand feeding. You can also try feeding him in the same spot of the tank and at the same each feeding. He will learn that behavior and not have to search for his food as much.

Be sure to do 50% water changes o the hospital tank every day before redosing the meds. You do not want this tank to cycle. Use an ammonia blocking product such as Seachem's Prime, Hikari's Ultimate or Kordon's Amquel plus.

panmanmatt said:
May I suggest doubling the dosage on the Maracyn 2.

I don't think adding Selcon to the water will do anything besides ruin your water quality. Selcon is oil based and will mainly just float on the surface inhibiting gas exchange in the tank.

Try tempting him with some live foods or even hand feeding. You can also try feeding him in the same spot of the tank and at the same each feeding. He will learn that behavior and not have to search for his food as much.

Be sure to do 50% water changes o the hospital tank every day before redosing the meds. You do not want this tank to cycle. Use an ammonia blocking product such as Seachem's Prime, Hikari's Ultimate or Kordon's Amquel plus.

OK Will do! THanks a bunch!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just so you know, there is no guarantee this is going to work either. Biggest problem is there can be many causes of popeye so trying to figure which one to treat can be problematic. Usually the cloudiness indicates a bacterial infection though. Trying to determine the bacteria is the tricky part.

Keep your water quality great and the stress levels low. Just use ambient room lighting and none directly on the tank. Remove the live rock so he doesn't harm himself on it any further. Besides the meds are killing the live rock anyway and that will just add to your water quality woes. Add a piece of PVC pipe large enough for him to hide in for security.

Also drop the tank temp down to about 74-75 degrees if possible. The lower temp will slow the bacterial growth giving the meds more of a chance.

One important thing, keep this fish eating. He needs to eat to keep his strength up to help fight the infection.

He can't eat. He cannot see the food. If he will accept force feeding he's good to go - otherwise I'm afraid he's going to starve. The clock is now ticking.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
What if you were to hold the food in a pair of tweezers or tongs? He may be able to smell the food to find i, but not have to look around for it. Just throwing out suggestions here as I know force feeding can be strenuous on both you and the fish.

Would you happen to know a sympathetic vet? If so see if he will write you a prescription for (5) 250mg tablets of Diamox. We use Diamox (acetizolamide) to treat Gas Bubble Disease in seahorses. It will help to reduce the swelling in the eyes. We have also used it to treat the swelling from popeye but it won't touch the underlying bacterial infection. However, it is a prescription only medication.

I don't beleive his eyes are popping out - I mislabeled the thread. Right now the eyes are just cloudy and the lens area a little puffy with mucus. But his eyes are still inside the socket. Hopefully the meds will win the battle. He really likes the NLS pellets so I am going to figure out how to feed him with them.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Please keep us updated with his progress. I hope you pulls through for you. Anything else I can help with, feel free to ask.

He may be loosing the fight! Not looking so good but just a ray of hope.

his eyes seem to have less mucus swelling however plenty of the white stuff left - enough to keep him blinded. Hence, he is not eating and he is getting weak. Laterals are beginning to show! I have tried holding him and manuevering into the food like mysis but in his breathing he is inhaling the food and then spitting it out. The chewing response is not working because he can't time it right. I can only hope that sight can come back to at least one eye. It's a bit sad - really sucks to see a strong fish like that get weaker and weaker.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear he's not doing well. You have really put forth a great effort to try and save this animal.

panmanmatt said:
Sorry to hear he's not doing well. You have really put forth a great effort to try and save this animal.

Thanks!

But he's not done yet - hopefully the margins between hunger and blindness close in for a real victory!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As long as he's still alive then no it's not over yet.

There is still the option of force feeding if you think it will work. It is fairly invasive and can be stressful on both you and the fish. It is a last resort and is still not guaranteed to work.

panmanmatt said:
As long as he's still alive then no it's not over yet.

There is still the option of force feeding if you think it will work. It is fairly invasive and can be stressful on both you and the fish. It is a last resort and is still not guaranteed to work.

I may have to do that - if I can save his life it will be worth it. I will see what his condition is like this evening. Will update.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He doesn't by any chance have salt/sugar powder on his body as well, does he?

Phyl said:
He doesn't by any chance have salt/sugar powder on his body as well, does he?

Are you refering to Ich? LOL

No he does not have any his body is quite smooth and nice - beautiful neon blue stripes - you've got to get one of these.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, the scratching, itching and cloudy eyes all started to sound like a pattern. Glad you're not struggling with that as well!

Phyl said:
Well, the scratching, itching and cloudy eyes all started to sound like a pattern. Glad you're not struggling with that as well!

He's not scratching his body. He is scratching his eye. The fish is actually trying to scratch away the obstruction - pretty sad to see.

Mucus on eyes continues to recede. I shape almost looks normal as of last night. Still, there is grey matter in his eyes but I am beginning to see his pupil finally. Hopefully tonight will show even more improvement!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad to hear he is doing better. The road to recovery can be a long one. Thanks for keeping us updated.