• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Annularis popEYE

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There should be a "Modify" button on the upper right side of your post. It's only there for an hour after the post, though. You should have been able to modify your first one since the second one was only a minute after it. Let us know if you don't have that button.

BTW, really sorry to hear about the fish. It's a shame that the bad experience has soured you on a big SW tank. Nothing says you have to fill a big tank with big expensive fish, you know ;).

JohnS_323 said:
There should be a "Modify" button on the upper right side of your post. It's only there for an hour after the post, though. You should have been able to modify your first one since the second one was only a minute after it. Let us know if you don't have that button.

BTW, really sorry to hear about the fish. It's a shame that the bad experience has soured you on a big SW tank. Nothing says you have to fill a big tank with big expensive fish, you know ;).

Thanks Napoli.

Nope no modify button. Yea I know but the big fish but those are the ones that appeal to me.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear about your fish. You did manage to bring him back once though... hopefully you'll be as lucky the second time around.

Phyl said:
Sorry to hear about your fish. You did manage to bring him back once though... hopefully you'll be as lucky the second time around.

Nope not this time. I am not treating him. He's on his own. He will most likely die of starvation. Or, he will recover on his on and begin feeding.

Dude don't give up. I honestly don't know crap about treating popeye, but since I just read the entire post for the first time might I suggest you follow some of the early advice. Treat him longer at double the dosage, maybe use both I and II in your hospital tank. Keep him in there for a month if you have to. I have lost some saltwater fish, both my doing and their tankmates, but the success is rewarding. I have fresh water too so cannot blame you for getting frustrated, those guys are easy. I have had more frustration in 6 months of reefkeeping then I have had in 30+ years or fresh water. But I don't think that there is the satisfaction of building a good ecosystem like you get with salt. Good luck whichever way you go. :)

There was just Royal Gramma and an Anthias with him.

When I got home today. The Angel was laying on the sand. Both of his eyes were gone (can someone say hermit crab din din). He had lots of fungus behind his gill plates. Fin was rotting. He deteriorated very fast. He was not in this condition yesterday. He was breathing fast. I grab him with a pinch and he began to swim but weakly. I had enough - I tossed him in the garbage bag and waited for the occasional thump to cease from occuring!

These fish were meant to be in the ocean. I have seen this happen in Tampa with many tangs in my old tank. ANd how many stories have we read about on the net and how many friends of ours had a simialr story. Tangs, Butterflies and Angels - many of them are rated a 3 or less for hardyness - 5 being the most hardy.

FACT: These fish are caught in the ocean, placed in a holding vat or tank, then placed in a tiny bag with some seditive, then placed on an airplane to travel thousands of miles to a wholesaler, then shipped again to a LFS or buyer. By the time these fish make it to our tanks - they are on their last leg! And the worst part about it is that these fish at 5" plus are supposed so called "Show Size". I believe the larger they are the worst they transport for obvious reasons. There should be a law bannning this practice. Fish are needlessly killed and money is wasted. I can see giving juveniles a try if they can be caught without poison and shipped without poisoning themselves in their own septic waste. That's it for me. Unless the fish is as hardy as a yellow tang (5) for hardyness - it will not be bought by me. And shame to all who keep these people in business selling these large beautiful fish that really have been killed when they got taken out of their home. Shame to the diver, the exporter, the wholesaler and the distributor - you are killing fish - cause I sure as heck didn't - I just had the privelege to see the end result!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear he didn't make it. It really sound like it was going to be great success story.

JohnS_323 said:
Sorry to hear he didn't make it. It really sound like it was going to be great success story.

Thanks! Just my way of coping with a $149 loss. This is the outlet.

Tito said:
That's it for me. Unless the fish is as hardy as a yellow tang (5) for hardyness - it will not be bought by me. And shame to all who keep these people in business selling these large beautiful fish that really have been killed when they got taken out of their home. Shame to the diver, the exporter, the wholesaler and the distributor - you are killing fish - cause I sure as heck didn't - I just had the privelege to see the end result!

Actually if you think about it - aquaculture was the result of people who really were fed up with pillaging the ocean. I think that concept started up back in the 80s and now of course when people eat dinner "farmed salmon" doesn't even make people blink twice. Of course "farming" the ocean has it's own issues and problems but that's a topic perhaps for open water...

You could consider purchasing fish that are known to have been tank-bred...or even tank-raised. This significantly reduces the risk and also encourages everyone to be more environmentally friendly.