• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Annularis popEYE

Thus far, the swelling has gone away but the bacteria (grey matter) in his eyes as been very stubborn! He can see large figures and I guess by the way he swims he can perceive light and shadows but he is still unable to focus in on small objects like food. He still has his strentgh so I remain hopeful.

looks like this fish is going to pull through! I placed him in the display tank and he can swim around arches with no problems. His eyes just have a slight haze of grey. He is still not able to focus in on food but I can only think by tomorrow his eyes should be well enough for him to eat. I will take him back out and treat him in the hospital tank for one more day.

He made it! He can see food and feed. Swimming around the pillars and arches with no problems. Ten days of treatment with Maracyn II and some Maracyn. Nice......!

Tito said:
He made it! He can see food and feed. Swimming around the pillars and arches with no problems. Ten days of treatment with Maracyn II and some Maracyn. Nice......!

Congrats on the success!

You did a good job. I remember how good it felt when I nursed my Watanabe back from the dead. Congratualations and hope you have him for a long long time.

It's back! His right eye is filled with bacteria!

I'm so heated. Mostly at myself for taking a really good look at this guy before they bagged him at the store. Now I'll have to buy another $16 of Maracyn II and more salt for water changes in the hospital tank. I don't like wasting money!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry to hear it's back. Once you get it cleared up this time, leave him in the hospital tank for another couple weeks. This way you won't have to move him if it re-occurs again.

Yup - loooks like I have no choice. Leaving a bad taste in my mouth though - I might want to get out of salt. Seems like the fish that remain healthy and do well are the ones that I would settle for and not the ones I really like. Angels and Tangs are beautiful and very expensive but they are also the ones that get sick the most!

Tito don't get discouraged. Try starting with the more hardy ones and then when you get up to a more stable set up and more routine system then you can move onto the more exotic fish. I'm like you .. I have an Achilles tang, Watanabe Angel and a Helfich Firefish ... all over $100 each and I would be heartbroken if I lost any of them. Good news is, I've had each for a long while now and they are all doing really good. But I started with clowns and chromis. My first expensive fish was a Hippo (still have him too) but I was really scared when I got him. I was only a few months into the hobby.

p.s. everytime I see this thread under unread posts I get worried. Good luck with him.

NapoliNewJersey said:
Tito don't get discouraged. Try starting with the more hardy ones and then when you get up to a more stable set up and more routine system then you can move onto the more exotic fish. I'm like you .. I have an Achilles tang, Watanabe Angel and a Helfich Firefish ... all over $100 each and I would be heartbroken if I lost any of them. Good news is, I've had each for a long while now and they are all doing really good. But I started with clowns and chromis. My first expensive fish was a Hippo (still have him too) but I was really scared when I got him. I was only a few months into the hobby.

p.s. everytime I see this thread under unread posts I get worried. Good luck with him.

Sage advice. Thanks!

This fish is blind as a bat and should eventually die. It cannot see food and therefore cannot feed. I've just been told by a member here that they alsdo bought an Annularis Angel at the same store and his got Popeye as well. I'm not ready to call a LFS a bad name because of this but I will not be shopping at the LFS for anymore fish. Really, I'm not going to buy any big saltwater fish - they are not for me. It's a 50/50 chance with them. These big fish get transported in a big for thousands of miles and they poop more than the littel guys. By the timwe thety get home - they're on their last leg. I will go with a Nano tank and put in two sweet little clowns and call it a day. The 125 goes back to Africans - Tropheus!

I will let this guy struggle for life and then feed him to the cat outside. Or maybe just toss him in the garbage. $149 down the drain. But ya wont get more.