• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Austyn's 125 Gal mixed reef...

Thanks guys. Wish I was done already lol. Have to figure on c9vering everything up real good when it comes time to sand the spakle. Might neet to instal the exhaust fan first before I start sanding.

Waiting to the electrician to upgrade my circuit box amd service so I can wire the room up properly.

Coming along great. Can't wait to start mine up. Not finishing mine though, just moving all the equipment there.
I had to enclose mine. My wood shop is in the same room. Got tired of putting up plastic walls to do wood projects. Plus since i got the Led's my heaters have been on overdrive. So an enclosed room should help me keep the temp a bit better since that half of the basement does not have heat or ac.
The next project is Finishing the shop with proper benches for the miter box, router table and table saw and other misc tools. Been wanting to do th8s for at least five years.

Checked on tje tank the other night and found this.First time hes walked 9n glass. Cool critter.

20131227_230559_zpsmyaf8pby.jpg

20131227_230643_zpsdbhz5doa.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I believe that is a Tiger Tail Cucumber. Mine use to do the same thing....and my Red and Black does it on occasion. Neat when you see it for the first time. I can only guess they are going directly for the algae on the glass.

Correct paul. Tiger tail. Started with 1 two years ago. Now I have two. It split a few months ago. Unfortunately keep eating sand from the front of the tank and poops it behind the rock work. .

Ok so for the past 3 days my PH has been at 8.5+.

ALK 112ppm (on the low side but not correcting until i have an avrage reading for the week but, watching closely.)
Cal 420
Mag 1320

I am currently not using lime water in my ATO. and am not dosing 2 part since im trying to get preliminary readings so i can set up my Dosing pumps up.

What would cause PH to climb and stay steady at 8.5+??

I tested the ph with a salifert also and it was also at 8.5. just in case the PH probe was reading wrong.

I have noticed my zoas/palys not getting full polyp extension which i am thinking its becasue of the ph.
Also having a bit of a temp issue since i upgraded to LED's from MH. have not been able to keep it higher than 76.8. Hopefully i can regulate it one the Fish room is finished.

Assuming your test is accurate:

Is your skimmer in good working order? Typically, the reason for a high pH is low CO2 in the tank, which is contrary to what usually happens this time of year with the house all closed up, and higher levels of CO2 in the household atmosphere. The added aeration would help your system reach equilibrium with the environment.
Since you have a low reading on your Alk, (I would confirm your reading first)I would mix up a solution with some plain baking soda, 1 1/8 cups to a gallon of RO/Di water(this will take some mixing), use this calculator, fill in the blanks and select Randy's recipe #2 from the drop down in the alkalinity section to get the dose.
If none of this works, you could try some plain soda water(unflavored), which will add some CO2, 1 tsp. per gallon of tank water. Vinegar is another option, about 1 tsp for every 5 gal. of tank water. You might start with smaller doses, and check the results.
I would start with aeration(gas exchange) first, then use the baking soda to elevate your alk, try the soda water then the vinegar, in that order.

Thanks Jim.

I tested last night again.
Alk 152 dosed some 2 part since 8t dropped way below below comfort.
Cal 410
Mag 1300

Ph 8.4. It climbed to 8.6 for about 30 minutes after adjusting the alk. And settled at 8.4.

I will place an airstone in t h e sump when I get home.
The skimmer is working like a champ. No decrease in skim production.

Well the airstone in the sump worked rather well. With in 2 hrs the ph lowered to 8.25 and stayed there all night. Well see whT it says when I get home. Thanks Jim.

UPDATE!!

Ive had a bit of a PH to high issue. I think building the Fish room and closing in the sump has been part of the problem. I have started doesing vinegar to add a better Co2 echange. So far im am at 20ml a day of vinegar. Keeping the PH at 8.45. I added an extra ml a day until i reach 8.3 at least. everything in the tank is reacting nicely to the vinegar.

Now onto the room. I am close to finishing the room. both frag tanks are up and running. Waiting for the dc12000 to arrive so i can redo all the pvc and sump. Working good right now but could definitely use more flow.

Here is the outside of the room dry walled and painted. one wall atleast. the other wall is still bare until i finish all the electrical work.

20140108_202233_zps1cq4n2cf.jpg

Some stand pics.

20140108_202042_zps5rmmmmwf.jpg

20140109_200416_zps2nfdiggq.jpg

So last Saturday, i had a great time gluing all the pvs for the return and drain. I opted to do all the pvc on the front of the stand. Because of both tanks being in line, I would of had to do tons of bends and 45's to go around. This way its only a few 90's and don't loose as much pressure. It will all be hidden once i do the finishing work to the stand. i was able to do the return with no issues. The drain of course was a pain. I accidentally picked up threaded 1" 90's. Yes i picked from the right box at HD lo. My fault for not checking before i placed them in the cart. and of course its 9pm so a trip to HD was not gonna happen. So from the previous drain i started to Frankenstein the drain. luckily i had a couple 1' couplings already and 3 extra 1' unions. after frying my brain on how i could finish with what i had. i was able to get it all finished at 12:15am It actually worked out pretty good since i still have to add the re circulation tank to the system. I still have to drill the tank so no rush at the moment. Once that is drilled i can just union the tank in place. One downfall was drilling my existing drain to attach the frag tank drains to. i have a 1" uniseal. so for this i drilled the existing drain with a 1 3/4 bit. And of course the curviture of the pipe will not allow the uniseal to seal. Mind you i have 2" drains coming from the main tank. So as of right now i have a hole in the drain that i can seal. Luckily the drain did not overflow out of the hole lol. ok blah blah blah. here are some more pics lol.

And here is its up and running.

20140119_125137_zpskcp7ukun.jpg

20140119_125103_zpsqlt0k2fc.jpg

heres a panoramic pic of the room.
20140119_125408_zpsuaq3oc1u.jpg

I was going to place the 40B against the wall but so happens it fits prefect next to the 80 :)

Things left to do:
Finish painting wall
finishing touches on stand
drill re circ tank
clean up all the wires better.
get more leds for other tanks or(maybe add a single MH to one side of the frag tank.
Install vent fan
add dropped celling.

More to come.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
looking good man!!

love the room and that dc1200 will definitely help out in the flow department.