• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Beach Cleanup May 15th Poll

Would you being willing to participate

• I would like to participate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe another date

• No, thank you

• Total voters
oh ooops!

here you go (this thread is great for post padding....hahah)
IMG_0782Bob.jpg

Hahaha totally derailed. Sorry I couldnt make this one, had our annual camping excursion. Im looking forward to the meeting at ice cap though!!

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Audi0s said:
Hahaha totally derailed. Sorry I couldnt make this one, had our annual camping excursion. Im looking forward to the meeting at ice cap though!!
John

There will be more opportunities in the future.

Bob

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
magic said:
The camera adds 10 lbs at least that's what I keep telling myself. :p

Wow! That's good to know. So I guess in my case, that is a picture of a picture of a picture....that would explain that look of an extra 30 pounds.

Thanks for arranging everything Bob great job. Thanks for everyone who came over, wish some others could have made it.
James

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
rodclement said:
Here is a kind note from a non-club memeber that found our clen-up and came to help!

Rod

"To all of the members of The NJ Reefers Club that I met at the Beach Cleanup this morning,

Thank you so much for allowing me to participate in the beach cleanup with you today! I apologize for "crashing your party!" I assumed more people from the general public would be coming out to help you! So thank you so much for welcoming me with open arms. It was great to be able to do something that I'm passionate about with people who I know care about the beach and the oceans and the environment as a whole! It was a fantastic experience.

I will be sure to wear your t-shirt with pride and share the information I learned about your great organization with everyone who asks me about it. I would love to help out again in the future!

Best wishes with your speaker next weekend and all of your future projects. You are doing a great thing!

Thanks again!
~Karen"

Yea, Karen joined our group and we were really lucky to have her with us. She said she had done a few other beach clean-ups and really enjoyed doing them. Her enthusiasm made me feel even more glad that I was helping out and her idea to "find the most unique item" made the event more fun too. She was really interested to hear about the club and our conservation efforts. Personally, I think the club should thank her for participating. I hope that she at least gets a reply to the note above.

Our group collected 2 full bags of garbage and 2 full bags of recylcing (bottles/cans, etc.) along with the most unique item (a fire extinguisher) as well as some big pieces of wood that needed to be carried off the beach by themselves. I know we were very proud to have made such an improvement to that beach. My favorite part was when the lady that was laying out next to the rocks saw us cleaning up, and pointed out some bottles right next to her... so we could come pick them up. :eek: We couldn't believe the nerve she had... I mean, it was within arms reach from her and she could have just picked it up and handed it to us at least.

Anyway, my fiance Pam and I really had a great time and it turned out to be a beautiful day at the beach! We would like to thank Bob and everyone else who helped organize this event. We will wear our shirts with pride also.

A special thanks also goes to James and his family for opening up their home for the BBQ. The food was delicious and it was great to get to know some of the members a bit better while there. It was very interesting to hear about Taz's chickens, haha! Your tank looked fantastic by the way James!

To make the day even more perfect... we stopped at Trop Aquarium that was close by and saw the awesome display tank they have there! Words cannot explain how nice it was. And they had a small koi pond that could have been mistaken for a shark tank, lol... they were huge koi. Ed and his wife met us there and he can vouch for me when I say we saw the coolest fish ever. They had a camel cowfish that looked like a stealth bomber hovering all around the tank. If it was reef safe, I would have bought him in a heartbeat! I was so impressed with the store that I ended up buying a purple tip sebae anemone and a blue maxima clam. I didn't have a chance to take any pics of these yet, but I'll be updating my tank build thread in the near future.

Overall, it was just a really great day, even with the 2 hour drive each way. I'm really glad I was able to participate.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sorry for the mini-hijack, but I looked up the Camel Cowfish and here’s what would keep me from getting one:

“When stressed, the Camel Cowfish releases a poisonous substance, called ostracitoxin, from its mucous glands which will kill other fish in the tank very quickly.”

“This fish can emit a toxin if it dies that may kill fish in your tank. Keep plenty of carbon on hand to use in case of death. Carbon filtration and large water changes should keep any disaster from happening.”

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
magic said:
Gonzapa said:
so how much garbage did we collect?
About 50 lbs!

Bob

Had to be more than that seeing the fire extinguisher, boards and all those glass bottles I found! LOL We should bring a scale next time for curiosity ;D

My oldest son Tyler earned an achievement stripe on his belt tonight at karate for participating in this. He was so proud. He and my other 2 school age kids are bringing their shirts and certificates to school tomorrow for show and tell.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
We sent Karen a very thankful e-mail and she is now following us on tweeter! We need more people like that in the world!

Taz I am glad this Club is helping the kids! Eductaing the next generation is what we have to be focusing on! Hope you guys bring them all to Icecap this weekend!

I am sure we removed more than 50lbs but I know we did a much better job of removing the trash than keeping track of it in the sheets! ;D

Rod

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
redfishbluefish said:
Sorry for the mini-hijack, but I looked up the Camel Cowfish and here’s what would keep me from getting one:

“When stressed, the Camel Cowfish releases a poisonous substance, called ostracitoxin, from its mucous glands which will kill other fish in the tank very quickly.”

“This fish can emit a toxin if it dies that may kill fish in your tank. Keep plenty of carbon on hand to use in case of death. Carbon filtration and large water changes should keep any disaster from happening.”

Yep, I looked it up on my phone when I was there and that was the exact page I read. The salesman said they are great to pair up with sea horses though... so I may end up with one eventually. After my wedding in June, I was planning on getting a small nano for sea horses anyway.

But back on topic...
Taz, that's great that the kids are getting a chance to show off their certificates. Maybe that will help persuade other kids to want to get involved too!

Rod, good to hear that we did thank her and that she is keeping tabs on us. I'll bet she attends more of our conservation events than I do, lol.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Tazmaniancowboy said:
magic said:
Gonzapa said:
About 50 lbs!

Bob

Had to be more than that seeing the fire extinguisher, boards and all those glass bottles I found! LOL We should bring a scale next time for curiosity ;D

My oldest son Tyler earned an achievement stripe on his belt tonight at karate for participating in this. He was so proud. He and my other 2 school age kids are bringing their shirts and certificates to school tomorrow for show and tell.

Taz

You're right I didn't add in the extingusher or the boards. I was counting only the bags that we filled so with the fire ex and the boards probably closer to 80 - 100lbs. Even Better!

Bob

magic said:
Gonzapa said:
About 50 lbs!

Bob

I would say it was way more then 50 lbs....I think my one bag was about 40 and the other 15 ... I took them ahead so maybe you were not counting them. Plus there were some folks at the start too that had bags... In any case was great time.