• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Beach Cleanup May 15th Poll

Would you being willing to participate

• I would like to participate

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe another date

• No, thank you

• Total voters

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just when you thought that it couldn't get better!

You all know that we we'll be cleaning up Sandy Hook on May 15. What you didn't know is that we won't be alone! I received information that this is a global effort sponsored by the Ocean Conservancy. In addition to our 50 something volunteers there will be another half million people, in 104 countries doing their part to make this a better place to live. Last year this effort removed over 11,000,000 pieces of debris totaling over 7 million pounds! If you haven't already, please sign up. This is a event that you will be proud to be a part of. I will be posting additional info shortly (directions, meeting spots). When we are done with the cleanup James Wohler has graciously offered to host a after cleanup BBQ at his house (directions will be available). If you would like to know more about this program click the attached link.

www.oceanconservancy.org/icc

Bob

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Anyone who wants a certificate of appreciation from the DEP (adult or kids) I need the names they would like printed on the certificates. Also anybody that plans on attending the after cleanup BBQ please let me know how many people will be attending. PM is preferred.

Thanks

Bob

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ugh! I was looking forward to being involved in this and had already signed up before knowing my son's baseball schedule. Unfortunately, my son has a game that morning in south jersey and by the time it's over, I don't think we would make it up to Sandy Hook for the cleanup.

I'm considering missing the game to attend the cleanup by myself instead of 3 of us, but I need to talk to my son first to see how he would feel about it. I hope you all understand if I can't make it.

If anyone organizes something like this again, I will be hoping to be able to participate.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
TanksNStuff said:
Ugh! I was looking forward to being involved in this and had already signed up before knowing my son's baseball schedule. Unfortunately, my son has a game that morning in south jersey and by the time it's over, I don't think we would make it up to Sandy Hook for the cleanup.

I'm considering missing the game to attend the cleanup by myself instead of 3 of us, but I need to talk to my son first to see how he would feel about it. I hope you all understand if I can't make it.

If anyone organizes something like this again, I will be hoping to be able to participate.
Sorry to hear you won't be joining us but it's no problem. Family comes first! There will be another opportunity in October.

Bob

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If anyone is planning on going to the after cleanup BBQ please respond by pm as to how many people will be attending. Here's James's address and directions from Sandy Hook.

Address is 297 Silverside Ave, Little Silver NJ 07739

Directions RT 36 south to RT 520 west turn right.
520 to Seven Bridges Road turn left.
Seven Bridges Road to Silverside Ave turn right.
House is on right hand side, cannot park on Silverside can either park on cross street or at train station which is at the end of Silverside ... about three blocks away.

Thanks

Bob

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
magic said:
TanksNStuff said:

Sorry to hear you won't be joining us but it's no problem. Family comes first! There will be another opportunity in October.

Bob

Thanks for understanding Bob. Hope I can make the next one!

I replied to your PM a few minutes ago by the way.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Well, plans changed. My son asked if he could go to a friends party after his game instead of me picking him up. I told him that he could go to his game / party while my fiance and I attend the cleanup / BBQ.

So, I'm back on the crew... just minus 1 child. I updated my registration.

Should we bring anything for the BBQ? There wasn't a spot on the reg form to note what we can bring... but we would be happy to bring something. Please let me know what is needed.

Great glad to have one more.
My plan is to provide your standard hamburgers, hotdogs, and bakebeans.
If you would like please bring a beverage of your choice, I have some beer and mead(homebrewed) but could use some more or,soda,juice, etc or chips something like that. Will also provide ice, cups, plates, plastic utensils.

PS if anyone is vegi only let me know.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JRWOHLER said:
Great glad to have one more.
My plan is to provide your standard hamburgers, hotdogs, and bakebeans.
If you would like please bring a beverage of your choice, I have some beer and mead(homebrewed) but could use some more or,soda,juice, etc or chips something like that. Will also provide ice, cups, plates, plastic utensils.

PS if anyone is vegi only let me know.

James

I sent out PMs to everyone attending. I have a count of people who responded. I'll give you the final count tomorrow.

Bob

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Volunteers we will be meeting at the first beach on the right (Bayberry). You'll see a small building that's where we will be (9:00am). I suggest that you bring a sweatshirt/sweater for the morning and maybe a hat for the afternoon. Don't forget the sunscreen and camera! I have gloves and garbage bags. If you haven't responded to the BBQ invite (thank you James) please PM me one way or another.

When we are cleaning remember to record what type of debris you have collected. We have roughly 50 people that we will break down into groups of about 5 with one person updating counts on the datasheets. Saturday is supposed to be a beautiful day (a message from mother nature). Lets have fun while making a difference! See you all Saturday Morning and again mom and myself thank you for participating!

Bob

ps. Below is a link to a area map of Sandy Hook. You can get directions by clicking....... wait for it......the directions tab!

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=+Sandy+Hook+NJ+07732+

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bob, I have never been to Sandy Hook so I'm not familiar with it at all. When you say first beach on the right... Can you be a bit more specific? What is the closest street names or intersection to where we are meeting?

Basically, are we meeting right off of RT 36 or at "Gateway National Recreation Area"? (I'm guessing there is an entrance to the park or something?)

Sorry, but I didn't see anything on the map saying "Bayberry". Are there signs that say Bayberry Beach?

TanksNStuff said:
Bob, I have never been to Sandy Hook so I'm not familiar with it at all. When you say first beach on the right... Can you be a bit more specific? What is the closest street names or intersection to where we are meeting?

Basically, are we meeting right off of RT 36 or at "Gateway National Recreation Area"? (I'm guessing there is an entrance to the park or something?)

Sorry, but I didn't see anything on the map saying "Bayberry". Are there signs that say Bayberry Beach?

I will help out. You can only reach Sandy Hook from RT 36. If you are coming from Exit 117GSP you will come across bridge (15-20 minutes from GSP) that is under construction and then enter Sandy Hook ... it is a peninsula so only one road that loops at the end so you will not miss it. There are various parking lots on the right hand side. I never noticed labels but I guess they are.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
JRWOHLER said:
TanksNStuff said:

I will help out. You can only reach Sandy Hook from RT 36. If you are coming from Exit 117GSP you will come across bridge (15-20 minutes from GSP) that is under construction and then enter Sandy Hook ... it is a peninsula so only one road that loops at the end so you will not miss it. There are various parking lots on the right hand side. I never noticed labels but I guess they are.

George

There is a sign on the right "Bayberry Beach" and the parking lot is right after it(very easy). The ocean is on the right and the bay will be to your left. We will be working the ocean side. There are no street names until you get about 7 miles down the road. If anyone wants to explore after the cleanup there are several WWII gun batteries, a lighthouse and a old fort down at the end of the park located next to a Coast Guard Station. Looking forward to seeing everyone tomorrow morning!

Thanks

Bob

Look for this sign on the right. On Google, it looks like it's about 4/10ths of a mile after you go under the new pedestrian walkway.

See you in the AM!

sandyhook.jpg

sorry all, beth and i wont be able to make it to the clean up. ive been busting my butt to get ahead of schedule and had some no shows at work and have to paint a pool in the morning. we still may try to high tail it up there but it depends on how long it takes to do the pool. if we dont make it i plan to take my lunch on stone harbor point with the wife and try to fill a few trash bags but we both wish we could be there

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Big thanks to Bob and the rest of the conservation committee for putting this together. Had great weather and had a very fun time. Still trying to figure out how a fire extinguisher got on the beach, but it is there no longer.