• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

blange3's 180 upgrade

So I guess I'll think out loud here while I wait for this to happen.

I was sitting in front of the tanks the other day wondering how to simplify maintenance a bit, my recent illness put a hurtin' on their appearance. And I thought to myself if I could upgrade to a single larger show tank instead of two smaller ones I could make things more simple.

I decided a bargin 180 would be perfect. Why a 180? As most of you know I'm a VHO junkie and the stock 180 is the most shallow of the 120+ set.

And then Nikola came along! It seemed like fate. Now what didn't I think of before I said yes......

Another driver for the upgrade was an attempt to reduce the electric bill a bit. Since most of my reefin' takes place in a semi finished basment that I'm allowed to practically trash at will, it's easy to get carried away!

The main tanks are a 75g lps and a 55g sofite tank. But I also had a 30L and a 20H as QT tanks and 7g minibow as a nano frag tank. Upstairs in the family room there is a 46 bowfront FOWLR as well. I was also heating and circualting a live rock tub and I heat and aerate a 55g saltwater barrel as well.

So the plan was to wind up with the 180, one QT tank, the FOWLR and the saltwater reserve. I initially decided to keep the 30 as the QT tank. But then I figured since the 55 was an already functioning sumpless reef tank, it would be the best QT tank and a great size to QT all those new tangs I'm dreaming about. My light load will be a little higher than what I planned for the 30 qt, but I could stand the trade off.

So what's the problem? The 55 and the 180 are on the same electircal circuit. I'm adding more lights,pumps,heaters to the same circuit that already hosts 990wvho plus everyting else that runs those 2 tanks now.

Uh ooh! Time to run an new dedicated breaker and line for the 180!! ::)

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you run one line, why not run two?

2 - 20 amp breakers would do just fine. (on GFCI's of course!)

The thought crossed my mind, and I may do it but:

A) It's work and I'm allergic to work these days!

B) I really hate spending time in a breaker box anymore! I'm getting old, nearsighted and shaky!

C) If I use GFCI's nothing will ever stay on!

And in all seriousness the existing line is pretty much dedicated to the tanks now. so if I move the 180 off, the remaining tank gets a dedicated 15 amp line.

So here is a queston for the woodworkers out there.

The stand and canopy seem to be stock AGA Oak components and they've seen better days. I want to do a quick sanding and sealing on them. What should I use??

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would use a light grit sandpaper (220ish) and then wipe it down with a tack cloth. I used Polycrylic for my final (4) coats on my stand and canopy.

If you want a hand sander, I have one you could borrow.

billyr98 said:
let me know if u need me to tie in any wires for ya... you run the wires and i can do the connections... :)

Thanks Billy, I'll keep you in mind.

I really shouldn't whine about it. The box is easy to get to and it has a main breaker.

ReefDrumz said:
I would use a light grit sandpaper (220ish) and then wipe it down with a tack cloth. I used Polycrylic for my final (4) coats on my stand and canopy.

If you want a hand sander, I have one you could borrow.

Thanks Brian, I'll take you up on the sander loan.

Is Polycrylic something you can get in Home Depot?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yes, that's where I got it from. Keep in mind that you need to be very careful not to get bubbles in it when you are putting it on. I didn't sand between coats either (well, I did with the stain, not the polycrylic)

Thanks to all for the good wishes and the offers of help. I will take you up on them soon! ;)

I'm picking up the canopy and some sand tonight. YES, I reuse sand! I've done it before and I'll do it again. So please, no long lectures. I wash it with used salt water from water changes and when I add it to the tank I diatom with carbon.

What I could use is one or two 55g plastic barrels to make up saltwater. If any fragswap committe members are so inclined tohelp, they will be freed up before October!

I have 2 myself, but I want a good reserve of pre-mixed saltwater on had for the big day!

Thanks!

Thanks Sam,

But I'll buy some Brute trash barrels if I have to. I won't have the floor space for another tank.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bill, I have that blue drum you lent me awhile ago... But it was mysteriously ( :-X ) filled with old wood molding and got stuck in the back of my garage!

ReefDrumz said:
Bill, I have that blue drum you lent me awhile ago... But it was mysteriously ( :-X ) filled with old wood molding and got stuck in the back of my garage!

I don't want to make the molding wind up homeless! :eek:

I'm trying to get more from work.

Thinks are a little quiet at the moment on the upgrade front.

I picked up the canopy last week, but haven't had a chance to work on refinish it. I should be getting the endcaps and ballast tomorrow so I'll have to kick this into gear.

I also have to pay Brian a visit and get the sander and overflow box. I'll have the 30 gallon holding tank with wet dry running this week.

Andrew if finishing draining the 180 between work and family stuff. He's going to move the tank off the stand so I can pickup the stand and do the refinishing work on it.

Not exactly an exciting post, but after reading Billy's thread I had to do something remotely upgrade related! ;D

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bill. What else do you need for the big switch over day? Did you get everything you need?