• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

blange3's 180 upgrade

C

concept3

Bill on refinishing- i prefer to stain the wood to the darkness you are looking for and letting it dry completely. And then apply the acrylic or varnish. The first coat of varnish should be light so it dries quick. Sand in between coats with steel wool if you want that mirror shine... Steve68 told me to do so and it looooks niiiiiice.... I have 4 layers of varnish on my hood/stand

mikem said:
Bill. What else do you need for the big switch over day? Did you get everything you need?

Hey Mike!

Lighting equipment is pretty much set. I want to get a breaker box to mount the 3 icecap ballasts near the tank.

When I get the tank and sump home, I'll figure out the plumbing needs.

I'll probably pickup a Hydor next time AO gets them in. Not sure if I want a 3 or a 4.

Other than that I'm good, unless I need more rock. Andrew still has some so I can always run over there at the last minute.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bill, I know you're not a MH guy but I have a couple of 250w ballasts you can have if you want them. LMK.

Hey thanks John!

I already bought another 660. I'm planning on 4x110w VHO Super Actinic driven by a 600, 4 x 110w VHO 50/50 driven by a 660 and 2 39wT5 daylight driven by a 430.

Bill,
The cost of replacing all those bulbs is gonna get expensive. Why not just run 6 72" vho bulbs. You can run 2 72" bulbs on an IC 660. I run 3 50/50 & 3 super actinic now but used to run 3 actinic 2 50/50 & 1 daylight.

Jcurry@wesketch said:
Bill,
The cost of replacing all those bulbs is gonna get expensive. Why not just run 6 72" vho bulbs. You can run 2 72" bulbs on an IC 660. I run 3 50/50 & 3 super actinic now but used to run 3 actinic 2 50/50 & 1 daylight.

A few reasons. The overlap of the many bulbs in the center will give me a bright zone for and LPS island. I have a stock of VHO's that should cover me through this year. And eventually I plan on trying overdriving NO bulbs for the white light. And finally, I didn' want to buy another 660 now.

When I get to the point of needing bulbs, I can reconfigure. I had thoughts of switching to 6' or maybe flipping the one ballast to T5's.

The main reason for adding the 2 T5's is to play with them a bit and see if I like them.

I've also joined another well known group of radical reefers that believe VHO's last more than a year, especially when you use IC ballasts.

Shhhh....Don't tell anyone but my bulbs are are almost 2 years old and I only run 4 bulbs for most of the day.

2 actinics for 12 hrs.
1 actinic & 1 50/50 for 10 hrs
2 50/50 for 3 hrs

so all 6 bulbs are only on for 3 hrs a day. I haven't noticed any problems with the reduction in light. In fact most of my LPS have gotten better colors. But who knows if its from the reduction in light.

That's good feedback Jeff. My original plans were to just have the 8 VHO's. I currently have 5 over the 75. I figured with the increase in width and depth of the 180 vs the 75, I figured the 8 bulb configuration would be too much of a drop in light, but I really think LPS look better under modest amounts of light.

Since I wanted dawn/dusk affects as well, running all actinics on one 660 and all white on the other would shift from my current ratio of 3 to 2 white to actinic bulbs to a 1 to 1 ratio, with a resulting drop in PAR. That is why I added the 2 T5's to boost things up.

And BTW, the bulbs on the 55 are pushing 18 months about now, so I'm with you!

It sounds like Sunday afternoon may be pickup day.

Just a pickup in Cranford, the tank will already be out of the basement, and a move into my basement in Woodbridge. Down the stairs into the basement may be a bit tricky.

No exciting stuff like breaking down or setting up tanks, but we can all toast the departing 75.

Still have to confirm and get permission at home, so I'll keep interested helpers posted.

Well, disregard that last post.

Seems the patient got in an argument with a hard surface on the way out of the basement and lost! The result is a chipped corner. :'(

I feel bad for Andrew, who is a great guy.

This would make a great reptile setup, so if anyone has a use for that, contact Nikola and let him know.

Plan B for me is to upgrade my 30 gallon QT tank to a frag tank.

I'll stick with what I have until we carpet upstairs and then go with a large tank.

Bill, I feel terrible about this. Every time I blink my eyes I see the chip. I probably will be dreaming about it tonight.

Aww nuts guys! That stinks. :'(
This was great reading up 'till now. I feel so bad for you folks!

I hope another tanks finds its way to you soon.

Best of luck.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Go for Billy's 210, man! That tank (and stand/canopy) is SWEET!

Somebody needs to buy that tank before John makes me switch out the 180 for the 210

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Phyl said:
Go for Billy's 210, man! That tank (and stand/canopy) is SWEET!

Somebody needs to buy that tank before John makes me switch out the 180 for the 210
The color wasn't faint enough . . . I told you I wanted it for NEW tank not an upgrade!

Seriously Bill, it's great tank with the same footprint as the 180, just a little taller. I'm itching for it man, help me out here!

Sorry Phyl,

I've got to weigh in with John!

The too good to be true price was the only reason I could do this now. Plus the extra depth of the 210 wouldn't play well with my desire to stay VHO only.

Hey Andrew, things will work out, don't feel bad for me. I'll soon have a rockin' 30 gallon frag tank with the equipment I bought.

The club raffle pool will eventually benefit as well! ;D

Well the upgrade to a 180 is now a future project, but my energy will go into a new frag tank and a major overhaul of my 55 gallon softie tank.

Stay tuned for more tales from blange3's tanks!! ;)

Alleleuia!

Easter is the season of Resurrection, so..............

I'm resurrecting this thread!

I just left a deposit with Mongoose. I'm getting a 180. ;D

I'll need some help picking it up in the next week or so.

Pickup will be a two step process. We have to get the tank where it's stored in Sayerville and then bring it to Joe's place to water test it. Obviously that will take some time.

Then when it's empty again a 5 minute drive to my place where it will go straight through the front door were it will rest in the living room until I make room in the basement.

I'm already a nervous wreck, hope this one works out!