• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Blizzard

Paul B

NJRC Member
Now that I finished removing it I think we got about 14"on one side of my house and about 8" on the other side. That blower is almost 40years old. I keep it going because it is American and you probably can't get a good machine anymore.

Paul B

NJRC Member
Well, we didn't get a blizzard here but I am old enough to know they always double the amount when they predict this. I had a snow plowing business for about 10 years and used to scream when they predicted a big sow fall and we got nothing.

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
We have a local gas station that has one of these for as long as I can remember except his cab is made of wood

mrehfeld

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
WTF was this? I spend half day yesterday on the darn generator.

Thank you Sunny for spending the whole day working on your generator, if not for your efforts we probably would have been under 10 feet of snow. :smiley_simmons: you know well that if you were not prepared you would have needed it for sure and it would work.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
........ That blower is almost 40years old. I keep it going because it is American and you probably can't get a good machine anymore.

Paul, you have me beat. My Toro 421 is only 35 years old. However, about two years ago the original Tecumseh went boom. Literally, it went boom. I was able to pick up a Harbor Freight six horsepower that was a direct bolt-on. Good thing my wife was working, because I pulled the snowblower into the kitchen to stay warm while I switched out the engines.

Paul B

NJRC Member
If you got the engine from Harbor Freight I would not get to close to it as the pistons are probably made of wood, and not very good wood. :huh:
We got to keep these things going. I put snow chains on mine because the wheels are small and almost useless. I went to a snow blower repair shop and tried to buy tire chains. He said, you can't put chains on that, the wheels are to small and the chain will hit the body. Some people really think you need to have the exact part for something to work. I said just give me the chains for any tires. After a little modification, they work perfectly. Last year I needed to replace the drive chain for the screw. Yours is gear driven. I went to the same place with the old chain and said I need a new chain. He said, they don't make that chain any more. I told him, give me the closest chain. He said, it won't work and you can't bring it back. I told him the the thing is 40 years old and the sprocket is so worn that almost any chain will fit. He said, it won't fit and you can't bring it back. Fits like a glove. Unfortunately some people have no imagination. I also changed a large bearing for the small chain sprocket. Same thing, he had a larger bearing that would not fit. That's why they make drills and files. So you can make things fit. Dance

I'm kind of glad this storm missed us. I dragged my snowblower out of the garage to make sure it was ready to go. I filled the gas tank. the snowblower started up fine, but I noticed that has was spurting out of the vent hole in the primer bulb. Went around the other side and saw that the was gas dripping out of the carburator. Turns out that the float in the carb was dead. Glad it wasn't a weekday or I would have probably paid to have parts shipped overnight.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Paul B

NJRC Member
You mean the float sunk? That stinks. It is copper and probably easy to fix, but if you have time you can probably just order another one. I have to shut off the gas valve on mine or the gas will all leak out. I need a good day to take the carb out and clean the needle valve.

Yup. Float has gas sloshing around in it. Ordered a new one. I considered trying to run it anyway, since it leaks less at full throttle, but that might not be the smartest idea I ever had. Fortunately, the European model was wrong, so I was spared making a bad decision.

Paul B

NJRC Member
If the float sunk, it probably wouldn't run as it would flood, not to mention gas all over your floor. But if it is copper, you can solder it.

Gas all over floor (and clothing). My wife wanted to burn my clothing. I begged her to let me take them off first.