• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Blizzard

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I never understood how the copper floats pitted and "rusted" through. I would NOT suggest soldering the current float...for three reasons; 1. It's currently filled with gasoline, and a hot iron and gas just don't get along. 2. The weight of the solder could impact the float floating, closing off the valve. 3. Replacement floats are dirt cheap.

I would also suggest, since you have the bowl open....and the engine must be a little old considering the float is shot.....to replace the needle as well. It's been a while since I've done this repair, but they use to sell a kit including the float and needle.

That's the plan. Had the same thought about showing something full of gas. Easier to get new parts. Like you said, they are dirt cheap. If it was for an aquarium, though, a float would cost $50.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Paul B

NJRC Member
Don't be a Sissy, soldering a float full of gas would just be a gas, pardon the pun. Of course you would have to drill a hole in it to empty out the gas as I have done a couple of times. It is an easy repair but if you can easily get a new float, then by all means buy it. But if you needed the thing to run today, as I usually do, I would fix it. If I can't fix it, it ain't broken.