• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brandon's WTH was I thinking 125 gallon madness

9supratt4 said:
Brando457 said:
Just got it running thanks to Steve!!!

It was my pleasure!! Love this stuff!! Plus I set up a sump and left with cupcakes and a Bali Green Slimer Frag!! Thanks Brandon!!

Steve I owe you big time, I'm going to try what you said to quiet it down hopefully that works!

And the cupcakes you're welcome to anytime, your gf too thank god she was patient lol!

The frag we talked about, I wanted one, you wanted one now we both have one. You've done more than enough for me and I'm forever grateful.

Now for this tank all that is left is to place the corals permanently and get my refuge all setup. Then I am done FOR A LONG LONG TIME. I think over the past 2-3 months given the purchase of all equipment + livestock + time I'm pushing a few thousand dollars.

Would I do it again, in a heartbeat. I never liked fish really as a kid we grew up with a freshwater setup, but the fish didn't last long. Ever since my friend and cousin got me into saltwater, its been nothing but joy. (With a few minor headaches in the way)

I give alot of credit to all the people who maintain and do this hobby on a daily basis, definitely isn't for the faint of heart nor the ones that quit when things get difficult.

RFD4 said:
Where are the pictures and the keg?

Keg got postponed since I couldn't finish work outside the room due to all my sister's baby stuff. I never knew a kid needed so much crap and it isn't even born yet!

Pictures my brother still has the damn digi so hopefully tomorrow he brings it.

So I got tired of waiting for the damn digi and decided to take some pics although crappy with my iphone

Frag rack loaded with 4 acan frags & war coral from Mr. Coral, Captain America Paly thanks to mnat!!!, black hammer and ricordia mushroom from reeftoreptile

IMG_0138.jpg

Also on my travels as I mentioned I stopped at Trop Aquarium and picked up the bali green slimer, which I wanted for some time. One frag went to 9supra already for his amazing gesture of helping plumb my new sump.

IMG_0136.jpg

and here is a full tank shot
IMG_0137.jpg

hey man! your tank is looking really nice! love the captain america! you're right about having to be dedicated to the hobby to make something of it. reef tanks do come with a bit of a price tag but like you said, i'd do it all over again too. anyway, i enjoyed looking at your new pics. looking great!

twisted said:
hey man! your tank is looking really nice! love the captain america! you're right about having to be dedicated to the hobby to make something of it. reef tanks do come with a bit of a price tag but like you said, i'd do it all over again too. anyway, i enjoyed looking at your new pics. looking great!

thanks for the kind words twisted! All that is left for me to do now is to sit back and relax and let everything be for now.

Brando457 said:
twisted said:

thanks for the kind words twisted! All that is left for me to do now is to sit back and relax and let everything be for now.
its nice when the tank gets to that point where its just mantainance. i just have to install my new light thats coming today and i cnn pretty much do the same. i definitly gotta find some captain palays. i looked again this morning and they are real nice!

Lol I have a head right now, but once I get a few growing I'll definitely offer it to the DBTC.

Picked up a new frag today from newsalt. Thanks tbones for bringing it with you to work!!!!

Hawkeye said:
that is a massive green slimer "frag". Nice pick up.

Lol IDK if you'd consider it a colony, mini-colony, or frag so I went with frag...

I added cheato to the sump today thanks to Stevex0r.

is cheato suppose to float or sit in the tank? and any other things I should have down there besides the cheato, live rock, sand?

it just floats in there. one thing i like to do is when i do my water changes, i flip the clump of cheato so the bottom gets light. not sure if it makes a difference but it grows pretty fast so....rock,sand and cheato is plenty. ive been thinking of a couple mangroves to add to mine...they seem like a cool sump plant

Yeah it seems to be okay I have a phillips grow bulb on it and need to figure out how to mount it right now.

I really really want a scoly coral, but they're so F_ING expensive

Brando457 said:
Yeah it seems to be okay I have a phillips grow bulb on it and need to figure out how to mount it right now.

I saw a nice one on aquatic auction. http://www.aquaticauction.com/

of course you could walk in to Manhattan Aquariums and just drool at their scoly tank. lol.

Hawkeye said:
Brando457 said:

I saw a nice one on aquatic auction. http://www.aquaticauction.com/

of course you could walk in to Manhattan Aquariums and just drool at their scoly tank. lol.

I know, but $300 for a F-ING CORAL!!! thats insane and as far as I know no one has successfully fragged them. FML of course the corals that I love are the most expensive.

And nick guess it's a bali green slimer colony lol, 9supra has a nice frag of it from the initial pic you see, but his lights are awesome and in his tank I'm sure it'll do well.

Guys I don't think I'll have anymore updates for awhile as far as new additions etc., just going to try to sit back and relax and enjoy the tank for awhile.

Last things I'd like to do are:

- figure out a good spot for hammers as they never seem to open

- transition my acans and captain planet paly to somewhere on the LR off the frag rack

- maybe buy something or another to clean my god damn sand since the snails are severely lacking

- skin the stand

If anyone has recommendations to help accomplish the above I'm all ears.

I'd do some flow experimentation with the hammers, moving my torch to a slightly higher flow area made all the difference.