• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brando's Red Sea Max 130D of Fun

Well some of you may know I broke down my 180 gallon.

I guess it is true this hobby is an addiction. Well I found a sick deal on a Red Sea Max 130D and the guy included a reefbrite led strip, heater, original protein skimmer, tunze 9002, 2 koralia 1's and it was only 8 months old!

This will be the tale of setting up my nano.

Also my cousin got me 2 clownfish today for my tank that he is holding until I cycle this one.

photoaug1771537pm.jpg

photoaug1691315pm.jpg

photoaug1794946pm.jpg

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I need to ask the Mods to close this thread down……And I quote, “officially done w/ hobby.”

Welcome back kid! So when do you think you’ll be upgrading? :eek: ;D

I'm not sure what the clowns are called he got 4 and let me pick the 2 I wanted. The other 2 he may end up selling if his mom doesn't want them.

I need to get base rock and sand to get this thing cycling.

Not sure if I posted but my new puppy is sick with parvovirus and as been at the vet since Sunday. He's still fighting it, but right now his white blood cells are low and he has a cough. :/ I'm hoping he pulls through.

He'll be filling up that 180 again in 3 months!! I'm taking 1:1 on Never, 2:1 on 3 months, 4:1 on 2 months and 12:1 on 1 month. ;)

Brando457 said:
I'm not sure what the clowns are called he got 4 and let me pick the 2 I wanted. The other 2 he may end up selling if his mom doesn't want them.

I need to get base rock and sand to get this thing cycling.

Not sure if I posted but my new puppy is sick with parvovirus and as been at the vet since Sunday. He's still fighting it, but right now his white blood cells are low and he has a cough. :/ I'm hoping he pulls through.

I am sorry to hear about the Puppy, Brandon. I hope all goes well.

Got the tank and stand down in my room today and the rock scaled.

I'm trying to figure out how to do an ATO in the back chamber under the pumps with the limited amount of space.

So I was trying to come up with an idea for stocking list, I think I got it:

- 2 snowflake clowns
- 1-2 heilfrichi firefish
- 1 pearly jawfish or BSJ jawfish
- 1 goby/pistol shrimp pair
- 1-2 cleaner shrimp or 1 cleaner & 1 fire shrimp
- maybe flame angel? Might be overstocked already.

Equipment is as follows:

Red Sea Max 130D
SteveT/in-tank media rack
Tunze 9002 skimmer w/ in-tank collection cup
2 x koralia 1s for circulation (may upgrade to mp10 if I can find one cheap)
Stock PC lighting
Reefbrite LED strip 6 bulb x 2w blues

I am considering purchasing one of the amazon LEDs from the other thread if I don't like this lighting.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I am considering purchasing one of the amazon LEDs from the other thread if I don't like this lighting.

Brandon, I pretty much don’t know much about anything, but 120 watts of LEDs over a 34 gallon tank seems like a bit much, unless you plan on mounting this fixture directly to the ceiling. These fixtures do not come with variable adjustment. Maybe someone with knowledge can chime in on this. I'd look in the equipment forums here and on RC where I'm sure you'll find DIY's of using the stock cover and installing a RapidLED kit within that cover.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Paul want to do it for me :)

Brandon, have you seen my soldering gun. It’s so old, you almost have to rub two sticks together to get it hot. But it does come with two lights on the front, so you can solder in the dark. :)

SolderingIron.jpg

I think the last thing it soldered was a vacuum tube in an extremely large Stromberg Carlson radio I used to have in the garage. In the wintertime, you’d turn it on and have silence for about thirty minutes, when it was finally warm enough to start to produce sound…..it would always startle me when this happened.

Electronics and tile work are two things I don’t do well….sorry.

Brandon, your stock list looks good!
The clowns, goby, jawfish, and fire fish are all good choices. Two suggestions: helfrichis will kill each other if you do not have a mated pair. Be really careful if you decide you want two. Either buy a pair from the store at the same time, or keep a singleton. Regarding dwarf angels, they can nip at corals. Make a decision about which you would rather have, the angel or coral, before you buy, or you may be doing what i have done twice and ripping your tank apart to get a coral eating angel out.
Good luck with the tank, looking forward to following along!

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to the nano world! :::evil laugh::: For the ATO, if I was able to shoe horn a JBJ ATO in my BC8 I'm sure you will be able to make something work in your Max. I also just did an ATO using my RKL on my 20L. If you need a hand setting it up let me know. Did I also mention I did a DIY LED on the 20L that I also have hooked up to my RKL? :::evil laugh::: ;)