• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Brando's Red Sea Max 130D of Fun

I tried to get out of the hobby and my mom actually yelled at me lol.

Thus the smaller tank, I feel it will be better for me.

I'm looking in to doing the jbj ato and maybe a mp10 in September. Right now I have my 2 clowns and they'll be the only inhabitants for a bit.

Nicole I know dwarf angels can be hit or miss so I'm still debating on that one.

I snapped some pictures, I got the tank on the stand and partially filled with water/scaped. I need to add sand and salt next.

Welcome to the nano world! :::evil laugh::: For the ATO, if I was able to shoe horn a JBJ ATO in my BC8 I'm sure you will be able to make something work in your Max. I also just did an ATO using my RKL on my 20L. If you need a hand setting it up let me know. Did I also mention I did a DIY LED on the 20L that I also have hooked up to my RKL? :::evil laugh::: ;)

Which LEDs? And I may take you up on that offer for the ato :).

626dd83f-9b84-5608.jpg

626dd83f-9b95-8f8f.jpg

626dd83f-9ba9-7790.jpg

626dd83f-9bb7-a5da.jpg

I met the pup today while picking up the pumps - he's very sweet! Lots of little kisses! Thanks again Brando!

Got the jbj ato from tomtom on MR, really nice guy!

I need to get a pump to go with it and then figure out how to mount it in the rear chamber. Unfortunately being my size has it's disadvantages Aka fitting a guerilla hand in the back.

I also decided to go ahead and get an AI SOL blue and mp10 this month.

If anyone has any corals they need to trim once i get my light I'd appreciate it lol.

And now off to do job applications for a new job :)

I'll try to snap pictures with my cam tomorrow.

howze01

NJRC Member
What kind of corals are you looking for? I'm sure I have some zoo frags laying around in the frag tank. Also a neon green Candy Cane with 5 or so heads just sitting in there too. LMK

What kind of corals are you looking for? I'm sure I have some zoo frags laying around in the frag tank. Also a neon green Candy Cane with 5 or so heads just sitting in there too. LMK

Anything really is appreciated, in my haste to get rid of the 180 I sold all my corals :/ I had some really nice ones, but glad the members here got them.

I'm ordering my light next week so I can pick it up on Friday or Saturday :).

Added a cleaner and blood shrimp today, stopped at AF since I need a
Maxijet for my ato they wanted $40 for a mj1200!

Lol spent an extra $20 and got the shrimp

Added a cleaner and blood shrimp today, stopped at AF since I need a
Maxijet for my ato they wanted $40 for a mj1200!

Lol spent an extra $20 and got the shrimp

I love the rock work Brandon where did you get the rocks from? Im trying to set up a 5G nano and need some rock work ideas. I might just take your rock work idea  lol

Yes A.F are WAY to expensive when it comes to tanks, skimmers, lights, etc. The last time i was there they wanted 800.00 for 57G rimless tank with stand IMO i think thats to much. With that kind of money i can pick up a 75G R.R from ocean gallery and use the rest to built my own stand. But i just go to A.F to see what they have in stock thats about it.

I actually got my rock from AF since i had a store credit lol,

but what gets me is today i went to AF they have a maxijet 1200 for $39.99, I think went to petco also on rt46 and on the way home and they have maxijets for $49.99!!!!

I asked the girl if they would price match online, even their own site lists it for $42.99 and she wouldn't. I understand shipping costs too, so I even said the average price is $24.99 add $8 shipping and meet me there. NOPE was not having it.

If there was more of a market for fish only goods I'd open a store tomorrow, but at this point it is very difficult for a LFS to stay in business. I'm almost tempted to open up a all in one pet store warehouse in NNJ jeez.

I actually got my rock from AF since i had a store credit lol,

but what gets me is today i went to AF they have a maxijet 1200 for $39.99, I think went to petco also on rt46 and on the way home and they have maxijets for $49.99!!!!

I asked the girl if they would price match online, even their own site lists it for $42.99 and she wouldn't. I understand shipping costs too, so I even said the average price is $24.99 add $8 shipping and meet me there. NOPE was not having it.

If there was more of a market for fish only goods I'd open a store tomorrow, but at this point it is very difficult for a LFS to stay in business. I'm almost tempted to open up a all in one pet store warehouse in NNJ jeez.

Lol yes the BEST prices are always online.

It's sad, I understand business and the need to cover expenses and make a profit, but at the same time I feel these LFS are looking for sometimes too much of a profit on a single good.

I could write up an analysis easily on LFS to online businesses.

The argument always comes down to staffing needs for a retailer versus an online business.

Retailer:

- brick and motar store aka rent
- staff 7 days a week 8-9 hour days
- electricity, utilities, and such
- loss of livestock either DOA or dies in holding

- still needs location to store things
- staff can operation select hours and focus on maintaining livestock/equipment and processing orders
- electricity, utilities, and such, most likely on a slight smaller scale since they can specialize either in dry goods only or live goods only (rarely mix of both)
- loss of livestock DOA or in holding tanks

So apples to apples they're pretty much the same. Main difference is that an individual store that does not have an online store to match their retail operations has a significant disadvantage for sales. They are limited to the reefers in the local area .

Now on the other end of the spectrum salt, chemicals and other supplies that need to be replenished often should not see such a high mark-up. If the LFS sold the salt or items at CLOSE to the online retailer then they'd gain that business and a recurring customer who would most likely return to not only purchase those items, but also while there be more likely to splurge on additions.

I have seen a wholesalers price list and the mark-up is anywhere from 100-200% on fish and corals. Yes LFS need to cover their expenses, but at what point are you covering expenses and making a profit and then at the other end of the spectrum taking your customers and bending them over at the waist.

And then people will argue the mark-up covers the losses and price to maintain and keep fish. I call BS, especially in this area considering there are 2-4 wholesalers within an hour trip of me alone. So the shipment fatality rate is negligible given the circumstances.

Sorry to go off on a rant or tangent and mods feel free to delete, but just got me going when i thought of the AF and petco debauchery today.

It's sad, I understand business and the need to cover expenses and make a profit, but at the same time I feel these LFS are looking for sometimes too much of a profit on a single good.

I could write up an analysis easily on LFS to online businesses.

The argument always comes down to staffing needs for a retailer versus an online business.

Retailer:

- brick and motar store aka rent
- staff 7 days a week 8-9 hour days
- electricity, utilities, and such
- loss of livestock either DOA or dies in holding

- still needs location to store things
- staff can operation select hours and focus on maintaining livestock/equipment and processing orders
- electricity, utilities, and such, most likely on a slight smaller scale since they can specialize either in dry goods only or live goods only (rarely mix of both)
- loss of livestock DOA or in holding tanks

So apples to apples they're pretty much the same. Main difference is that an individual store that does not have an online store to match their retail operations has a significant disadvantage for sales. They are limited to the reefers in the local area .

Now on the other end of the spectrum salt, chemicals and other supplies that need to be replenished often should not see such a high mark-up. If the LFS sold the salt or items at CLOSE to the online retailer then they'd gain that business and a recurring customer who would most likely return to not only purchase those items, but also while there be more likely to splurge on additions.

I have seen a wholesalers price list and the mark-up is anywhere from 100-200% on fish and corals. Yes LFS need to cover their expenses, but at what point are you covering expenses and making a profit and then at the other end of the spectrum taking your customers and bending them over at the waist.

And then people will argue the mark-up covers the losses and price to maintain and keep fish. I call BS, especially in this area considering there are 2-4 wholesalers within an hour trip of me alone. So the shipment fatality rate is negligible given the circumstances.

Sorry to go off on a rant or tangent and mods feel free to delete, but just got me going when i thought of the AF and petco debauchery today.

Well If you know how to work out the internet well you can always find what you need. For example I bought my 120 led watts for 175.00 brand new. This way before when the prices were still up. I believe they wanted 330.00 for just one fixture only.

howze01

NJRC Member
Just a FYI, having worked in and managed an LFS, there is not a lot of profit to be made. The markup for the cheaper FW fish are sometimes 300% and more. It's when you get into SW that the profit margins drop like a stone. The loss of one fish alone can ruin your week.

The biggest difference between online vendors and an LFS is the employees. Online vendors don't (normally) need to deal with the public. They scoop a fish out or pop an item into a box and they're done. They don't need employees to constantly clean tanks or rearrange shelves or help customers. There are literally hundreds of people walking in and out of an LFS every day and it isn't cheap to hire people to help each of them. The pet industry is NOT a money maker and the owners need to make a profit where they can because there aren't many places where they do.