• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble Algae

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I use an oxydator in my reef. Just a heads up on the h202, I get an immediate drop to around 200 ORP. It will then slowly creep back up to where it was (high 300's usually). I'm usually dosing a few ML of h202 directly into the tank just because of the oxydator banging around as I'm putting it back in the sump. That fast of a change really scared me at first since nothing that happens fast is usually good.

If you plan on doing anything h202 long term, you can buy 35% h202 on amazon and dilute it with rodi water. It's much less money in the long run.

Dave

Last edited:

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I use an oxydator in my reef. Just a heads up on the h202, I get an immediate drop to around 200 ORP. It will then slowly creep back up to where it was (high 300's usually). I'm usually dosing a few ML of h202 directly into the tank just because of the oxydator banging around as I'm putting it back in the sump. That fast of a change really scared me at first since nothing that happens first is usually good.

If you plan on doing anything h202 long term, you can buy 35% h202 on amazon and dilute it with rodi water. It's much less money in the long run.

Dave

Thanks for the Amazon tip.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mark. How much flow do you have in the tank. Or is this a dead spot where flow is to low?

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
The Finnex with the FugeRay grows cheato like mad (and algae if you drop a piece of roughed up plastic, like the needlepoint plastic for hobbies, in there).
Tried to build an up-scrubber, a cheato reactor, etc...
After $100+ of the, 'I can do better', I admitted defeat and ordered another Finnex with FugeRay.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
I decided to add chemiclean to help suffocate the dino, red slime, etc. Will do a WC tomorrow and then add the very small fuge, just need a tiny bit of chaeto.
Eventually will try peroxide dosing. I think the issue started when I started to feed pellets. Wanted to switch up the food and guess fed to much and food must be high in phosphate. Time to toss the pellets.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
If you need some chaeto I’m not far and can give you some. DM me if you’d like.
I

Thanks. Could use a small amount. The container is not big so will see if helps.
If not may throw it on my 10g.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
WC change is done and re-aquascaped a bit. Hope I did not kill any fish in the process.
After adding chemiclean lots red stringy slime so I am guessing it was cyano and some was bubbly.
I used a turkey baster and was able to blue the bubble stuff right off and gas exchange to surface.

Nice. I’m going to thin out the chaeto in the next few days so let me know if you want to come get some.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Some pics afterwards.

Attachments

• IMG_20180330_105304_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180330_105304_hdr.jpg
    888.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180330_105255_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180330_105255_hdr.jpg
    873.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20180330_105243_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180330_105243_hdr.jpg
    924.2 KB · Views: 17

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
How are the corals handling the peroxide dosing? I know dipping rocks in peroxide will kill the algae and critters living in the rock. Does it effect the critters at all? Interesting concept of dosing peroxide. What is the ratio of tank water to peroxide? Sorry for all the question. I just find this interesting.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
whats your peroxide dosing method? I may have to copy off you

I read 1ml per 10g of 3% peroxide. Purchased mine in the Dollar store. I estimated 80g total volume which would be 8 ml. I dose 7ml daily to be on the safe side.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Seems the bubbles are coming back. Most noticeable under blues. Guess will dose ChemiClean again. I barely waited 24hrs after 1st dose before a WC. This time will wait 48hrs before doing a WC.