• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Bubble Algae

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
After 2 rounds of chemiclean. Here is what's going on.
Any idea what type of algae this?

Attachments

• IMG_20180408_105123_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180408_105123_hdr.jpg
    961.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20180408_105116_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180408_105116_hdr.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 19

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
This crap just gets worse each day. Stringy yellow stuff all over the coral. I blew it all off and am cutting my lights back while away.
Org schedule: ON - Blues 9am and whites 10am, OFF whites 7pm, Blues 8pm
Will change the off to whites 3pm, Blues 4pm.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
I had something like this early on and I believe it was fun is. I was doing 2/3 water changes a week (5% to 10% a time). Took about a no th to fully get rid of it. It wouldn't go away over night, bit they definitely would get worse with the lights on. Not fun but it required lots if husbandry and dedication to get rid off!
326b7b0c7e75abfbe6688ed254ab1114.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
PH was 8.1 I don't have a magnesium test kit.
I was thinking of dumping 15 or 20ml of mag in the tank before I go away for a week tomorrow.
I'm sure will be horrible when I get back.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Just finished a 15g water change, all I had available.
One thing I noticed as I was cleaning sand the water smelled a bit like sulfur.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I have an on-and-off problem with this. If I don't have it up around 8.3 and mg 1500 then it shows up. If I let those numbers drop, the problem would come back. I would take a toothbrush to what you can't remove and then do a water change. Limit lights too if possible for two to four days. Run your skimmer and carbon.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks. Actually rocks were exposed to air shortly while I was re-aqua scaling 2 weeks ago. Will dump some may in before I leave tomorrow morning, best i can do for now and hope for the best.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Just got back from vacation and don't know where to begin.
Tank looks bad. I will be making water today and cleaning rocks. This sucks big time. Any other suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_20180421_080524_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180421_080524_hdr.jpg
    649.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20180421_080516_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20180421_080516_hdr.jpg
    823.2 KB · Views: 14

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Did the lights stay on (Algae)w/c clean glass suck all Algae with siphon hose.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Lights were only in 4hours a day, I cut them back.
I just saw that skimmer was not working, must of had a power hit. Functioning now.

DangerDave

NJRC Member
I’ve been using it keep the algae down. I had a couple spots of hair algae, Bryopsis, and quite a few spots of bubble algae. I’m issuing maintenance doses, and depending on the algae, it started receding within a day.