• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Corals Issue

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Very possible what ive been doing,with most my frags is starting them in my sump for some reason my levels are the most stable there

I don't have a sump on this tank. Also I stoped testing awhile ago cause my plan was to let the tank run on auto while I focus on getting a house. The corals in the tank been doing fine but I wasn't going to add anything else. I then saw the corals from @Philadelphia Aquatics and the deal with them. I didn't even think my numbers were that far off so I ordered. As the saying goes - you live, you learn, you get luvs.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
numbers looking better - still trying to get them to target numbers and then keep them stable
salinity is not yet at 1.025 but coming up slowly
cal 450
alk 9
mag 1570

Out of curiosity, why target 9 and not 8 on the alk? Mike Paletta wrote a nice article about some of the bigger names out there and their stats.. Most stay in the 8 range so that is what I target. Cool article really.. Included Sprung, Jason Fox, the WWC team, etc.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Out of curiosity, why target 9 and not 8 on the alk? Mike Paletta wrote a nice article about some of the bigger names out there and their stats.. Most stay in the 8 range so that is what I target. Cool article really.. Included Sprung, Jason Fox, the WWC team, etc.
I picked 9 cause when I started looking at dosing I read between 7 and 11 so I went in the middle with 9 lol.

I'd been using Red Sea's program up until just recently, they recommend to target 11.5 for a mixed reef. It was pretty tough to get there and stay there. Seems like everyone else recommends it lower.

Optimal levels of salinity, KH, Ca & Mg according to type of aquarium:
Aquarium Type Salinity (ppt) Alkalinity (dkh) Ca (ppm) Mg (ppm)
Mixed Reef
34 11.5 450 1350
SPS Frag 35 12 465 1390
SPS Dominant 34 8 430 1280
Ultra Low nutrient SPS 33 7 410 1220
Marine Fish 30 6.5-7 360-380 1060-1130