• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Corals Issue

My two cents on this topic is it doesn't really matter. There are people that keep alk at 10-12, some that stay at 7, and others (the most popular) that keep it in the middle. That was a great article and I certainly enjoyed it (also says a lot abuot nutrient naysayers), but there are also plenty of unsung heros who don't publicise there reefs that do it differently with the same or maybe even better success. Some reefing gods in Italy for example are known for running much higher alkalinity levels.

That said, most commercial places keep it in the middle for adaptability.

It is really all about consistency and knowing your animals and adapting them appropriately.

Staying lower is safer. High alk and high light are dangerous depending on where your nutrients are. If you run with your levels and lighting elevated and take a nutrient nose dive you're going to be in big trouble.

Like anything else in this hobby we could get a thousand people, have them do it a thousand different ways, and probably get to the same point a year later with the same success.

Know your reef and keep it consistent. That's the pot of gold we should all be chasing.

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Was working on an update lol. I was super busy so I didn't get to test today but I did keep an eye on my salinity. Its finally in range (between 1.025 and 1.026). The Horrida looks ok I think (still learning about it) I want to say there some polyps out but not 100% sure on that

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Well think I lost the Horrdia as well. What I thought was polyps look more like brown diatoms with the lights on. Also it looks pretty white to me.

Time to just get the tank stable (doing water change today and will check levels)

IMG_20180324_120858.jpg IMG_20180324_120758.jpg

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Yeah that’s a goner. Sorry to hear my friend.

Don’t let your frustration make you act quickly! Slow and steady and you’ll be pleasantly rewarded. We’ve all been here.

Hammer doing well?

Little frustrated but I do understand it happens. Makes me want to refocus not give up.

Hammer seems to be doing good.

IMG_20180324_122005.jpg