• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dan's 150 Rebuild

Figured I'd put together a tank build since I will be upgrading in less than a month :) so excited.

So its a standard 150g tank with a glass holes overflow kit. Not sure what I have for plumbing yet and also not sure what size return pump I'm gonna need(suggestions?) Obviously can't use the Mag 9.5 on a 150. I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade my heater as well. Can't even remember what kind I have at the moment but its a controllable one.

I do have a Reef Octopus nwb150 skimmer which I WILL be using for the time being because I just bought a brand new $90 motor for it. Hopefully it'll do the trick for now. As for a sump, I believe a 40g breeder would work but not positive yet.

I will be transferring all live rock/fish/corals from my 90g to the 150. Not sure what kind of sand I'll go with yet. Let me know what u guys think!!!

Also, Ill be using a BRS GFO reactor and I'll be using the same light from my 90. A Reef breeders Photon48. Hopefully I can make my sump area neat enough so everything isn't too crammed like it is now.

I think the new model Rio Hyperflow pumps are some of the best pump values right now. They run at lower power with less heat and lower purchase price. You can do the 20HF or the 26HF as a return on the 150g. We just got a 26HF from Amazon for $77 shipped and so far very good as a return pump. And we're using a 14F to run our Bermuda skimmer.

So that an option. But you can't go wrong pretty much, there are a lot of good pumps out there these days.

How many gph is the 26HF rated for? And thanks Jose!!! I'm sure I'm going to love it. I used to have a 180g and I miss that tank so bad so this will be nice

The 26HF is around 1,600gph straight, and 1,100 at 6 ft of head before pipe bends and such. The 20HF is 1,300 and 900, and only uses 60 watts.

Is a manifold to run other equipment in the present/future plans? If so, you might consider one of the larger DC pumps, and use the controller to adjust the amount of pressure you need. If you go with one that is large enough you could run it at a lower pressure for your return, and have enough in reserve for future use. The Waveline 12000 would be an example.

Oh good point. Not sure what else I'd be adding tho. All I would have in my sump is a GFO reactor, my skimmer, bag of carbon and the return pump. Wasn't planning on adding anything else but what were you thinking of?

Oh good point. Not sure what else I'd be adding tho. All I would have in my sump is a GFO reactor, my skimmer, bag of carbon and the return pump. Wasn't planning on adding anything else but what were you thinking of?

Any reactor's you might run, i.e. GFO, GAC, Bio-Pellets, etc. Energy savings is another plus, I just replace two Mag 9's running at ~190W to a single RO Diablo 10500 running at 85W on full power.

+1 downbeach. I'm using a water blaster 3000 and it's very efficient. Dan you should look into RO DCS controllable pumps. The DCS 5500 should work for you. I have a bunch of Carib seaflor special if you're interested in making the trip out. I could also bring it to Hamilton nj sometime this week.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
+1 for the DC pumps. I'm running the jeabo dc6000 on my new tank. It's very powerful, quiet, and energy efficient. The price is pretty good too.

+1 downbeach. I'm using a water blaster 3000 and it's very efficient. Dan you should look into RO DCS controllable pumps. The DCS 5500 should work for you. I have a bunch of Carib seaflor special if you're interested in making the trip out. I could also bring it to Hamilton nj sometime this week.
Carib seaflor? I'm guessing you mean sand?
+1 for the DC pumps. I'm running the jeabo dc6000 on my new tank. It's very powerful, quiet, and energy efficient. The price is pretty good too.
How much did that run u kev?

The DC pumps have great specs. In a few years they'll be state of the art and the cost will come way down and they'll be more available used. Right now they're too expensive for us. We're always 2 clicks behind the new stuff b/c of the $.

The DC pumps have great specs. In a few years they'll be state of the art and the cost will come way down and they'll be more available used. Right now they're too expensive for us. We're always 2 clicks behind the new stuff b/c of the $.

Lol I hear that. If it wasn't for my gf buying us a nice flat screen, I'd probably still be watching my 27" box TV lol