• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dan's 150 Rebuild

Omg why did I never think of that before. Do u know how much money I've wasted on pumps for my GFO reactor bc the impellers kept breaking? Lol definitely doing this

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Lol. It definitely simplifies things. Let me know if you need any help with the upcoming build. I have some pictures of other manifolds I have done too if it will help you at all

I you are thinking about a jebao DC pump, do soE digging around on them first. Not there is something necessarily something wrong with them but they just told a group buy manager for a buy that I'm participating in that they are in the process up upgrading the boards on the dc12000. Don't know if this includes any of their other pump but it is worth asking before you buy.

Lagunas pond pumps are another pump to consider. I've been using them and they can be had off of eBay for pretty cheap.

Here's a pic of my manifold. I stressed over making this for quite sometime. For done reason I just couldn't grasp the idea of a manifold. Finally I figured it out and I works great.
139E72DE-081C-4894-B167-4DE1B4A7D57E-662-0000010BB2BA9936.jpg

That was before I hooked everything up. From right to left, nano tank, bio pellet reactor, GFO/GAC reactor, DT.

I like it. Maybe I'll try something like that. Now I could essentially make the same thing and cap off 1 or 2 ports for future use right? Shouldn't be a problem there right?

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
I like it. Maybe I'll try something like that. Now I could essentially make the same thing and cap off 1 or 2 ports for future use right? Shouldn't be a problem there right?

Definitely. You can just keep the ball valve shut on the unused ports. I usually plumb at least 1 extra when I'm doing it so it's easy to add something down the line.

Exactly what I mean. Guess ill be attempting this. Ugh I suck at this stuff Lol

Now what kind of PVC glue does everyone use? Bc I have a feeling the stuff I used before resulted in a lot of dead fish the first couple months my tank was up lol

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Exactly what I mean. Guess ill be attempting this. Ugh I suck at this stuff Lol

Now what kind of PVC glue does everyone use? Bc I have a feeling the stuff I used before resulted in a lot of dead fish the first couple months my tank was up lol

I usually use this
http://m.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-Rain-R-Shine-16-oz-PVC-Cement-308933/100342516
Home Depot usually has it. I always use primer as well. I have glued a lot of PVC with no negative effects on the tank. Once dry it is safe. I have glued pipes for repairs and ran them within 10-15 minutes with no issues.

And here is the stuff I used on that manifold. I glued this up and had water running less then 30min later. No issues at all.
u5ypaveg.jpg

Just saw a calculator for energy savings on hamzasreef.com, and compared the Rio 26HF to the Jebao 6000 DC return pumps. Presuming they both have similar output at 6 feet head - I can't find any power curve/head info on the Jebao for some reason - the price versus energy use of the Jebao at $125 shipped and 40 watts compared to the Rio at $77 shipped and 100 watts shows that it will take 7 months and 1 week of using the Jebao electrical savings to make up for the $48 cost difference. And after that it will be additional savings on each electric bill.

I have a suspician that the DC pumps aren't as well powered as the AC pumps at lifting water to DT head, so it may require going up to the next sized DC pump. But this is just speculation until I can find a head flow curve for them.

Omg why did I never think of that before. Do u know how much money I've wasted on pumps for my GFO reactor bc the impellers kept breaking? Lol definitely doing this

I do this as well, running everything off of one return pump. I run a 1.5" pvc straight up from the return pump. This 1.5" tube acts as a manifold - I have pvc "T" fittings off it like JGRAZ does except it's all vertical and each "T' is spaced out according to the height needed for a horizontal run.

That seems like what I'm gonna try and do. Just gotta figure out what pump I wanna get then figure out size and start building.

Anyone know if PVC glue goes bad over time? Mines been sitting around for over a year.

The primer should be good for almost ever and as long as the glue is not hard you should be good to go

That seems like what I'm gonna try and do. Just gotta figure out what pump I wanna get then figure out size and start building.

Anyone know if PVC glue goes bad over time? Mines been sitting around for over a year.

Eventually it gets hard and is crap. I always buys the small containers of it because it just doesn't last once it is open.