• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Dan's 90G Reef

Depends what rock you get and if you properly "clean" it out first so that it has zero die off when it goes into your established tank.

I personally am extremely happy with the bulk reef supply dry pukani rock, there are soooo many places to put corals onto, it is light so you get a lot more rock per pound, and the pieces are all very cool shapes and variations. All of the rock in the 40 my girlfriend and I have now is that rock.

No threat if you buy cured or dead rock and do a few pieces at a time. But wow dan even lps?? I really did rub off on you lol im impressed. Just zoas and sps like me? Go for shelf rock and make multiple levels. Depends on what look you wabt. Do you want a rock wall with open sand, little sand, bommie islands like me? We can take a trip if you want shelf rock. I know a spot

Sent from my galaxy s4

I personally am extremely happy with the bulk reef supply dry pukani rock, there are soooo many places to put corals onto, it is light so you get a lot more rock per pound, and the pieces are all very cool shapes and variations. All of the rock in the 40 my girlfriend and I have now is that rock.
That what I was looking at to be honest.
No threat if you buy cured or dead rock and do a few pieces at a time. But wow dan even lps?? I really did rub off on you lol im impressed. Just zoas and sps like me? Go for shelf rock and make multiple levels. Depends on what look you wabt. Do you want a rock wall with open sand, little sand, bommie islands like me? We can take a trip if you want shelf rock. I know a spot

Sent from my galaxy s4

well maybe not ALL LPS i do like my frogspawn and one hammer. But yes I have you to thank now Lol not sure what I wanna do as far as the rock work. Kinda sucks bc of my offset overflow. Feel like that gets in the way. But maybe if YOU have time. You could come over a help me this time! Lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

With the ammount of stuff That came off and out of the rock I got as well as jim (downbeach) and a few others, I would 100% not recommend just adding it in. Other rock possibly yes but not that rock

When I said dead I meant dry rock but yeah youll wanna clean the pukani first if you get that and re cure it. Ill help you dan. Weekends are always good just let me know when you're ready

Sent from my galaxy s4

Weekends r always good for you haha never for me unless u wanna come over on a Sunday after I get done work lol

So r we all agreeing that of all the BRS rock they have, pukani is the best?

In my experience yes. It is dried out live rock, aka dead rock, and like jim said, would not recommend directly putting it in the tank. It would be a big risk

How does it get to be dry/dead rock? In other words where did they get it? So they harvest it out of the ocean and let it dry/die or what? Inquiring minds want to know!

How does it get to be dry/dead rock? In other words where did they get it? So they harvest it out of the ocean and let it dry/die or what? Inquiring minds want to know!

Its not cleaned or bleached. Just plucked and set out to dry so there is a very high chance of phosphates to leach out causing a bunch of problems.

I think I would rather just pay more and get the live stuff,cure it myself and take my chances that way. Seems like a waste to just let it die so we can wash and etch it and and regrow stuff on it.

You are paying many many times over firstly, as live rock is sold saturated with water, 35lbs filled my 40 breeder where as 35lbs of live rock probably wouldn't have got one side done. Much much more dense.

Your also taking the hitchhiker chance with live rock and in an established tank, I'd sau that is a big risk in itself. Aside from that, I can tell you a lot of places "live rock" is going to have a good bit of dieoff when it gets in your tank anyway lol. Same as "live sand"

Me personally, I'd rather deal with dry rock for the exact reason of hitchhikers. They're never fun and especially for an already established tank, even tho I think my wrasse would eat a majority of the pests that come in lol

This rock is dead coral skeleton's that has been pulled from the ocean, I noticed that there is a lot of dried organic matter remaining on/in the rock, i.e. sponges, serpent stars, and other debris I didn't recognize. Once you place it back in water this dried organic matter will rehydrate and begin to rot. So, I started by removing as much of this matter as I could while it was still dry, and then placed the rock in water to allow what was left to rehydrate. After a day or two I removed the rock, and hosed it off, which removed a lot more of the rotting matter. You could use a power washer here, but I'd use one of the wide spray nozzles. I then place the rock in a container with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, along with a PH for a day or two. This will further slough off any of the remaining organic matter that may be attached to the rock, and etch off much of the PO4 located on the upper layer of rock. You could use a stronger solution, even full strength, for less time if you preferred. Muriatic acid is used as well, but I just don't like working with full strength acid. If you have to do more than one batch, make fresh solution for each, since the solution will weaken with use. Final step was to place it in my QT, and let it cure. After a couple weeks, I started to place it in my DT one piece at a time.

This rock is dead coral skeleton's that has been pulled from the ocean, I noticed that there is a lot of dried organic matter remaining on/in the rock, i.e. sponges, serpent stars, and other debris I didn't recognize. Once you place it back in water this dried organic matter will rehydrate and begin to rot. So, I started by removing as much of this matter as I could while it was still dry, and then placed the rock in water to allow what was left to rehydrate. After a day or two I removed the rock, and hosed it off, which removed a lot more of the rotting matter. You could use a power washer here, but I'd use one of the wide spray nozzles. I then place the rock in a container with a 50/50 mix of vinegar and water, along with a PH for a day or two. This will further slough off any of the remaining organic matter that may be attached to the rock, and etch off much of the PO4 located on the upper layer of rock. You could use a stronger solution, even full strength, for less time if you preferred. Muriatic acid is used as well, but I just don't like working with full strength acid. If you have to do more than one batch, make fresh solution for each, since the solution will weaken with use. Final step was to place it in my QT, and let it cure. After a couple weeks, I started to place it in my DT one piece at a time.

Sounds like a pretty easy process haha. But 1. I don't have all the room for buckets and whatnot.(1br apt. That's already cluttered, gf would not be happy) 2. Im impatient lol.

Still don't know what I'm gonna go with. I'd prefer to go with something I dont have to cure. Kyle was telling me about a website called macro rocks? Any experience with them?