• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Doc's Moveing on Up to the big time (sorta)

best Placement of the over flow chamber

• Center of the tank

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Back wall to left or right far corner

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • left or right side wall

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
:confused: I confused myself with your tank and MadReefer. He had a bowfront that he placed an overflow (January-ish) and it cracked from the pressure.

Your tank is looking good

:confused: I confused myself with your tank and MadReefer. He had a bowfront that he placed an overflow (January-ish) and it cracked from the pressure.

Your tank is looking good
Lol nope that was also me. I started with a 10 then a 40 breeder then a 72 bow that cracked then a 90 bow

Long over due update

So its been quite awhile and alot has happened mostly grief and not a lot of bright side but its time to work threw it.

So to start the tank began to kinda go into a downword spiral shortly after changing the lights .. Its possible that though the kessil were very pleasing to look at they may not have had enough power for the depth of the tank or the change just took time for the tank to adjust but over all I can say as of now its worked it self out.
With the loss of a few corals a battle with some algae and a few other ongoing issues at the time I became really down about the whole situation and took a huge step back from reefing. I decided that I would do only the very basic things and just let the tank find its on way instead of trying to force it to look how I wanted.

I call it natural chaos lol I don't know if I would go all out and write an artical recommending the process but in my case it worked out. Anyways to the good stuff.

I sat down in front of my tank and just observed as much of it as I could, every nook and cranny, front and back, top and bottom. Taking my time to really note what was going on, and what areas of the tank were doing better or worse. I found a lot of exciting stuff and some stuff I'm not to thrilled about.

First I have true coraline algae growing beautifully all over the rock work and some of the in tank equipment.
I also found new corals I thought had died off growing nicely in random places. Duncans, shrooms, and Zoas.

My rainbow anemone had split, most here thought it was a bad sign how ever I don't think so. I now have 9 rainbow nems the smallest the size of a base ball also the tips of my nems never had that bubble they are known for when I first bought them, how ever now they all developed the bubbles.

I found fan worms and tube worms growing on the rocks, pods thriving in my sump, baby brittle stars and sponges popping up every where.

The fish are all nice and healthy I added a few recent additions to the tank, fairy wrasse and a 2 fire fish. In the past I had really bad luck with wrasses id put them in the tank they hit the sand bed and never be seen again but this one is been in there a week and so far knock on wood I see it come out daily to eat and its looking healthy.

There is a lot going on, over all I'm very happy with the tanks current state I think ill eventually go into more details about what happened and the whole process or lack of I did with the tank, but that's for another day for now heres a few pictures. I apologize I took them on my phone shortly after feeding and in a rush, but I wanted to give you all something to look at.0213191656d_Film3.jpg 0213191656a_Film3.jpg 0213191656a_Film3.jpg
0213191656_Film3.jpg

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
The tank looks lovely! Cant wait for your next update. Dont keep us waiting too long :)

Last edited:

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Doc welcome back. Tank is looking good. Please note I had those Kessils on my 54g corner tank without an issue. When you changed lights the corals would adjust to the new light (being stronger or weaker) . Kessils are pretty powerful so I would think that you were giving too much light to them at one time. Did you put the light in ACC mode when you installed them or just turn them on? Happy to hear the tank is doing better and you are right sometimes the best thing to do is sit back and just look at the tank. The more we put our hands in the tank the more issues come up.

Diana I had them set to acclamation but your right they couldve been over powered either way they have had a good acclamation period and the tanks stablized now. I'm considering some small adjustments to the tank it self but we will see

Still struggling with coral.. Really bumming me out that I can't get a handle on the issue with the tank that's effecting my coral. I almost want to take it down and go back to my 40 breeder that was doing amazing. Or maybe something easier to work on instead of this monster bow front.
Idk I'm fusterated I just have no idea where the issue is it doesnt seem to be a water chemistry thing and for the sake of the next 4 posts asking me what the water chem values lets just blanket statement and say they are all where they should be as far as exceptible ranges aside from nitrate. The only possible chem issue would be a slight salinity fluctuation due to the lack of ato

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Oh wow Jeremy! Sorry to read this. I thought everything was running smoothly by now.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
You're more likely to have better success with a larger tank as the parameters will be more stable but....if it's not working out for you, ditch the corals and keep the nems, they seem to be doing well in your tank. Maybe do a clown harem in your tank

Lol trio come on buddy that's begginger knowledge. Thoughthe clown harem that's an idea but really I just want a nice reef of softies and LPS

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Still struggling with coral.. Really bumming me out that I can't get a handle on the issue with the tank that's effecting my coral. I almost want to take it down and go back to my 40 breeder that was doing amazing. Or maybe something easier to work on instead of this monster bow front.
Idk I'm fusterated I just have no idea where the issue is it doesnt seem to be a water chemistry thing and for the sake of the next 4 posts asking me what the water chem values lets just blanket statement and say they are all where they should be as far as exceptible ranges aside from nitrate. The only possible chem issue would be a slight salinity fluctuation due to the lack of ato

It really could be the salinity swing you are seeing which could also be putting your levels off even if they are in range. Also larger tank means it can take longer for things to level out or issues to show where in a smaller tank it happens quicker. Don't give up and keep at it. I am sure you get it sooner or later. Also still waiting to see a picture of your tank with the Kessils lights I loaned you.

*Edit*
I mean a full tank shot with the lights in the picture lol

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
When anemones split like that it usually caused by stress. They split so that they can improve their chances of living when they are stressed.
I would setup the 40 breeder back up.

Move all the anemones to that tank.
They could be stressing out the corals.

You can take some water to your local fish store
And have them test your water.

Your tests kits could be off.

The new tank is a lot deeper than your 40 breeder so lighting might need to be upgraded.
What are you running for flow?
A 90 gallon tank needs a lot of movement.

Are you running carbon/gfo ?

90 gallons would lose at least a gallon a day maybe two gallons to evaporation so without ATO your salinity can be all Over the place.

I would add bacteria (dr Tim’s) anytime you start a new tank you should add bacteria

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
His lighting is better than mine. He is running Kessils

Kessil makes a lot of different light. For instance in his tank a 90 gallon that’s a 24-25”deep tank. So two 360 would not provided enough light at the sand if the light was 6-8 inches off the top.

So what model of Kessils is he running and at what height off the water. What intensity are you running your Kessil?

Deep tanks are very hard to light especially bow front tanks.

I am running two 360 in my 45 gallon frag tank and it’s only 12” deep

Last edited: