• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Doc's Moveing on Up to the big time (sorta)

best Placement of the over flow chamber

• Center of the tank

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Back wall to left or right far corner

Votes: 14 60.9%
  • left or right side wall

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So what he can do is upgrade the two 150 for one 360. Two 360 is ok for soft corals.
He can use the two 150 on his 40 Breeder and turn that into a frag tank. If you want to grow sps then the Kessil Ap700 would be a better light for a 24-25” deep tank.

Corals food is light so you have to have good lights for your tank.

I can honestly say that having a frag tank saved my main tank. I never touch the main tank.
I am always messing with the frag tank. I don’t buy colonies I grow everything from small frags so I save a ton of money.

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
He is running a 360we Tuna light with Kessil controller and 2 Kessil A150 Deep Ocean Blue. I know this cause those are my lights I loned him. The Deep Ocean Blue are really only to help bring out the color of the corals and the 360 and I have no clue what he has them set to. These lights are better than what he was running; but can't recall what they were. He could need more light but he wanted to test these out before he dropped the coin for lighting and I had them laying around not doing anything.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
He is running a 360we Tuna light with Kessil controller and 2 Kessil A150 Deep Ocean Blue. I know this cause those are my lights I loned him. The Deep Ocean Blue are really only to help bring out the color of the corals and the 360 and I have no clue what he has them set to. These lights are better than what he was running; but can't recall what they were. He could need more light but he wanted to test these out before he dropped the coin for lighting and I had them laying around not doing anything.

That’s is very nice of you. His tank is too deep for the lights that he has. One 360 is not enough light for a 90 gallon tank.
The 150 is a 7~ yr old light

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
depending on the corals he has the 1x 360 and 2x 150 should be fine if he has lps and softies, if he's trying to do more than that then yeah, not going to cut it. unless he's trying to keep an sps dominated tank the lights aren't an issue. I have corals barely getting any light and are growing. I would look into other things before thinking it's the lights. Personally I'd examine my husbandry methods first and get an ICP test kit.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
So his tank would be at 24-25 this is one Kessil
24 x 24 cube he is in a 48”

56E55C9D-D6C5-4727-B7D3-CF882ACB7E26.jpeg

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
So his tank would be at 24-25 this is one Kessil
24 x 24 cube he is in a 48”

View attachment 22783

I understand but the 150s would help with the spread. like I said LPS and softies will not be an issue for him to keep healthy and alive. SPS on the other hand, yeah I agree those lights aren't enough.

I would however, advise on looking into his husbandry methods first and get an ICP test done

When anemones split like that it usually caused by stress. They split so that they can improve their chances of living when they are stressed.
I would setup the 40 breeder back up.

Move all the anemones to that tank.
They could be stressing out the corals.

You can take some water to your local fish store
And have them test your water.

Your tests kits could be off.

The new tank is a lot deeper than your 40 breeder so lighting might need to be upgraded.
What are you running for flow?
A 90 gallon tank needs a lot of movement.

Are you running carbon/gfo ?

90 gallons would lose at least a gallon a day maybe two gallons to evaporation so without ATO your salinity can be all Over the place.

I would add bacteria (dr Tim’s) anytime you start a new tank you should add bacteria
Two parter Amado,

One thanks for the reply theres a lot to cover. Ill start with the anemones since this one getts me going lol not your fault though, deffintly heard about the stressed anemones splitting when I first talked about them about 90 prevent of the responses were that they must be stressed which irked me because anemones reproduce in nature I'm stressed so why not in my tank??

Trust me they aren't stressed these things are massive and fully inflated and have there iconic bubble tips. They split small and double in size every week. Honestly don't know what I'm doing but I have the most successful anemone farm only problem is I cant get the dang things out to trade or sell.

The water testing could be it I have a rather large and comprehensive test kit that I put together things expire and test agents get contaminated so I did just what you suggested and sent my water out for testing.. The results were very similar to mine with the abnormal nitrates and some elevated trace elements probably since I'm using well water.

Touching on the well I have used the same water for all my tanks the only tAnk I have had a issue with was this one.

I'm leaning towards chemistry being a part of the issue but mainly cause of the salinty due to evaporation. My total system tops out at around 120 gallons and evaps around 3 gallons a day.

The tank is tall I love and hate it. Its deep and I have to get on a ladder to work on it and it stinks.

Amado there was a lot to your posts of like to continue this cause I think you might actually spark my think tank and figure this out

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Hello
If 90 people told me that anemone splitting could be cause by stress I would listen.

If you post your ICP test results someone may be able to help you.

When I first got started with my tank.
I also thought I had enough light.
Then I got a par meter and I realized I didn’t.

I also thought my tank had sufficient circulation. Then I realized I needed more because corals need heavy water movement.

I thought my parameters where perfect.
Then I did a icp test and found out I needed to dose more elements.

Fish corals can’t talk so we have to go by test and best practice to make sure they are happy.

The reason I commented on the lights not being enough is because this is a fact.
We don’t need anything but the manufactures instructions to see that’s not enough light.
This is a very easy fix.

If you think about your tank like a car.
You can complain about the engine making noise. But if your mechanics notices a flat tire
He will fix that 1st before he takes your car out for a drive.

Make sure you have enough light/flow/stability
Before you go fixing other things.

Last edited:
Well I know I have been slacking but I figured id post some tank update pictures that have been long over do and talk alittle about sorta recent addition to the tanks fishy friends. But first the pictures
0427191848a_Film3.jpg
Above. Is pretty much a full tank shot with the kessil lights NJtiger lent me. As you can see those anemones I was talking about are still taking over the tank. I gotta work on free up a few for those of you that have been asking me about them, soon guys I'm sorry got a lot on my plate and these guys are dug in good.
0427191849a_Film3.jpg 0427191848c_Film3.jpg 0427191848e_Film3.jpg
Sorry I know I take crappy pictures its hard to get the lighting right and fight the glare.
27697.jpeg clown happily dug into his squishy bush
27704.jpeg
This striped hawk fish is one of my longest living inhabitants going back three tanks.
27701.jpeg
Stars and stripes puffer and coral beauty. The puffer is a recent addition a while back I met Mark C at Petco and he gave me a saddle puffer, which was doing amazing and got huge but one day I took the canopy off the tank to clean it and decided the tank looked a lot better with out the canopy... Well unfortunately he jumped in,the middle of the night it was very upsetting cause he was one of our favorites, we got the stars and stripes puffer as a replacement they are actually very similar in size and behavoir.
27702.jpeg
And finally the topic fish I mentioned in the intro my Marine Betta aka Comet, I got him a while back he had been in Major league exotics tank for a few months and I always found him stunning and interesting but never pulled the trigger cause I knew little about them. After researching I found out that it was a 50/50 opinion on this fish they either don't make it because they won't eat or can be very hard tankmates. however do to the first opinion were not very popular. Well few weeks ago I decided to pull the trigger after decideding that the fish was indeed healthy and obviously after being at the store for a long period of time was thriving well.
I could not have been more happy. He or she is both stunning and beautiful with a awesome personality like a dog if you could compare a fish to a dog.
They have a curiously slow and methodical behaviour as they venture about the tank and after establishing that people at the glass mean a possible treat coming out and wait for a treat.
A thing to note about this fish, is that though he is a powerful predator he is a slow hunter so I take extra effort to make sure he geta food directly usually by target feeding with a stick, its cool to watch.
I have him eating LRS Chunky and he is happy with it but he also goes after pellets and other meaty foods. This isn't common from what I'm told just a word of caution.

That's it for now more coming soon

Update I seeded my refugium and tank. So I finally got around to doing something I've wanted to do for the longest time. Seed my tank with copepods!
After much searching I found a great deal on pods on EBay a seller listed 3 24oz bottles of tiger, isbe, and Rasta pods (1 of each) for 35 dollars and free shipping.

The bottles came nicely packaged and alive Saturday morning. I added roughly 3/4 of the pods from each bottle to the sump/refugium with a wad of this mesh material I've seen used to give the pods a place to populate. The other remaining portions went into the main display tank.

I guess I never realised just how small these things were. I mean I kinda expected tiny but these things were barely visible, I then learned the bigger ones I was thinking about were amphipods so I think ill get some of them to as more of a food source only because I'm not sure if ill be able to monitor the health of there population in the refugium being how small they are.

Long time no update.
Hello everyone its been a while since I updated this tale of the tank regarding my 90 gallon bow, Honestly aside from things going on with family life the main issue was I had nothing good to post about it, since the begging when I transferred from my thriving 40 gallon breeder, The new tank has been a disaster in steady decline corals that were doing amazing in the smaller tank slowly shrunk and died, what was once a reef with about 8 or 9 different coral colonies is now barren with live rock and a few pest green zoas and a couple of red mushrooms is all that remain.
I couldn't pin point the issue... I checked the water chemistry regularly but it didn't tell me anything helpful, I tried different lights thinking the depth of the new tank posed an issue but had no real change. I upgrade equipment hoping that maybe it was just an issue of not being up to the task but again no solution found. I took a step back and let the tank do its thing for a while watching it looking for patterns and noticed afew things that I can focus on.

The first issue is the aptasia anemones that have sprouted up. I was reading a old book I bought on coral propagation and came across a chapter about the pest Aptasia, aside from the obvious issues that develop from the infestation it also explained some common mistakes that lead to Aptasia like not cleaning frozen foods or atleast draining the excess juice that is left over during the packing process. The book also talked about a method of using the pest anemone in helpful manner by isolating to the sump and using it to assist with filtration.

I purchased Aptasia X online and it should arrive tomorrow or Friday, once it gets hear I will begin the eradication process and post pictures of that ordeal for you all to see and prehapes even provide guidance to others who encounter the frilly bastards.

The second issue I want to focus on is also a pest most of us have encountered at some point and that is the stupid little star fish that come in plague like proportions. for this pest I am going to try and find a Harlequin Shrimp because Ive been told these guys are awesome at hunting down these starfish and eating them to extinction, when they finish ill share them with anyone who needs their services.

Dealing with those two pests will be the start in a tank overhaul process to try and bring the tank back to life. a process I hope to share with you guys threw updates regularly.

Sorry to hear about your problems But happy to hear you are going strong and working hard on the things frustrating you. I look forward to following your progress and have no doubt you will be successful.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
I miss not seeing on the forum! I am also sorry to read about your disaster. Things will always turn to the better

I miss not seeing on the forum! I am also sorry to read about your disaster. Things will always turn to the better
im working on getting back on here more often the year started good then took a turn its been rough lately I feel bad cause it was my intention on being a lot more active this year but with whats been going on ive barely had time to look at my computer let alone post on it. but hopefully life will stabilize along with my tank

THE GREAT APTASIA WAR

So today the aptasia x by Red Sea arrived 20190912_115521.jpg
It comes in a bottle along with a syringe and applicator tip the stuff kinda reminds me of the bubble gum flavored amoxicillin we used to get as children though I wouldn't recommend tasting it.
The instructions say that this product is reef safe and won't affect any other corals fish or inverts.. how ever I assume that doesn't go for anemones that you want in your tank.
At first the stuff is very liquidy but it says that once it touches water it turns think and gluey. You apply this to the mouths of the aptasia and that the aptasia unknowingly accepts the stuff with out retracting. Shortly after you cover the sucker with the X it swallows it and explodes. KAbLamo!
20190912_115550.jpg20190912_115559.jpg20190912_115531.jpg20190912_115540.jpg
Here's a few pictures of the squishy bastards before the assualt.

Now I have to say there are many products on the market for different issues with in the tank but this is the first product I have ever used that the results can be seen immediately I'm talking with in a matter of seconds after application these things disintegrated. This stuff is like a Nuke for the things.
20190912_115835.jpg
This is right after application of the X
20190912_115832.jpg
That cloud of white is the explosion.
Now this is important because when these guys die they release sessile polyps as a last ditch effort to keep them selves going ng strong but according to RED SEa this stuff eliminates all polyps that drop off during the explosion1568305828484532472402931596207.jpg
This was the wall the cluster were growing on about 5 mins later.. they are all gone.

Over all I'd give this stuff 5 stars it does exactly what it claims and quickly. I will have to disassemble my canopy and lights so I can get deep into my tank and make sure I get any of the smaller ones out of reach but I feel as long as I find them all itll do the job.
One last thing the bottle of the stuff isn't very big and I worried just how much I would need to get rid of them all but I'm happy to say one 3 ml syringe full is good for at least 3 anemone and I may have used about 1/4 off the total volume of the bottle and that would be generous it's probably less.

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Since you said you have a few pest green zoas, wouldn’t it be easier to bleach you system to get rid of the aiptasias instead of injections of aiptasia-x? It would also take care of your pest stars

Since you said you have a few pest green zoas, wouldn’t it be easier to bleach you system to get rid of the aiptasias instead of injections of aiptasia-x? It would also take care of your pest stars
I dont mind the zoas if I called them galactic green bugger zoas I can say there fancy and charge double the price lol. The aptasia so far has been quickly knocked out by the aptasia x I'm surprised how well that worked those star fish on the other hand are gonna be another problem..
As far as bleaching I dont really want to go that route I have over 2 years soak on these rocks and they have alot of good life that would be killed by the bleaching plus the tank has over a dozen fishy inhabitants and at least a dozen softball size rainbow nems that depend on the live rocks filtration and eco system so if I bleach the rock that sets the tank back

Update on the Aptasia war
Its day two after the first treatment I'd say I knocked out about 98 percent of them today I did another scan of the tank all aptasia treated yesterday are gone or just very few traces of decimated anemone slime left over I saw 2 small ones that I must have missed lower in the tank and was able to hit them with the aptasia x but so far so good i would say the battle is won on the aptasia